+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real World: Brooklyn

Re: The Real World: Brooklyn

The thing that makes me the most suspicious about Sara's father's intentions is the fact that he brought one sleeping bag on a camping trip with his daughter who had already been sexually abused. Wouldn't a caring parent do everything possible to make sure his daughter felt comfortable and safe?

And he was so creepy and condescending on the phone, I wouldn't want to talk with him either.

I'm glad I'm not the only one quizzical about this. If her dad tried to molest her he deserves to be treated like a pariah. But I also believe that good intentions about protecting our children also led to sort of a cultural oversensitivity. The pendulum swung really far in the 1980s and it caused a lot of innocent people a lot of anguish. Again, I'm not saying that was the case here -- she seems to be pretty grounded and honest, and I definitely don't want to be one of those people blaming the victim. The story just seems kind of strange.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Yeah. There was a family that ran a day care center in the 80's that were unjustly accused of running a molestation ring and the entire family (mom, daughter and son) were all imprisoned for years and then were outcasts even though it was proven that they were innocent. What really happened is that one of the children in the day care center was molested for real by a family member and this social worker lady got all involved and talked to all of the children and put all these crazy ideas in their heads and basically brainwashed them to the point where they actually created a memory that never happened. They made a movie about it a few years ago with the guy from E.T. (Henry Thomas and the movie is "Indictment: The McMartin Trial") Anyway, I don't want to make a judgment on Sarah because of the possibility that someone may have planted or twisted a memory in her head because it might have actually happened. None of us will ever know for sure. I also don't want to pass judgment on Sarah's Dad because he may be innocent, or not. He did sound creepy on the phone and a bit stalkerish but if he is innocent I don't blame him for doing whatever he can to get his relationship with his daughter back. Otherwise if he is not innocent, he's just creepy.
    Last edited by stacerace; 02-01-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I honestly think that when somebody wants you to stay away...you stay away. It's not right to try to impose your will upon another person. Even a child has the right to say no, and Sarah is not a child. What I don't understand is why, when she hears his voice on the phone, does she not just hang up the phone instead of responding to him?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I believe Sarah and i hope next time she slams the phone on him. Anyway, i thought that Chet was gay. Hell, i thought he coughed it up.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I only saw one or two comments about JD's disgusting behavior. He was drunk, but it's still no excuse for the way he acted. I couldn't believe that he outed Katelynn to Chet. But I grew to respect Chet more because I was expecting him to run off to Ryan and spill all the details. Thankfully, he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3299259;
    I honestly think that when somebody wants you to stay away...you stay away. It's not right to try to impose your will upon another person. Even a child has the right to say no, and Sarah is not a child. What I don't understand is why, when she hears his voice on the phone, does she not just hang up the phone instead of responding to him?
    My best guess is that she just wants to finally get through to her dad and explain why she doesn't want to speak to him. The event was so scarring that it took a great toll on her whole life, and she just doesn't want to speak to the man who was the cause of that. But she can't do that unless he finally realizes that he'll never change her opinion by calling her.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

But, by talking to him, doesn't she send mixed messages to him as to her "willingness" to communicate with him? Do you think she may feel, somehow, responsible for what goes on in his head? This part of what she's doing says, to me, that she is not ready to fully grow up yet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3299403;
    But, by talking to him, doesn't she send mixed messages to him as to her "willingness" to communicate with him? Do you think she may feel, somehow, responsible for what goes on in his head? This part of what she's doing says, to me, that she is not ready to fully grow up yet.
    But even if she just hung up on him right away, don't you think that her dad would still keep calling? The fact is, as the dad, he's still going to want a relationship with his daughter. Sarah can try all she want to try and get through to him, but the moment where he stops calling will not come soon, that is, if he ever stops.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

If she kept hanging up on him, his calls would eventually stop. Or, if you are really serious, there are legal avenues. Sometimes hard decisions are necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3299524;
    If she kept hanging up on him, his calls would eventually stop. Or, if you are really serious, there are legal avenues. Sometimes hard decisions are necessary.
    I'm sorry to disagree, but there is no way of knowing that the calls would stop if she just kept hanging up. Who knows, maybe he'll just be that much determined if he couldn't even get one word to her.

I'm not knowledgeable about restraining orders, but shouldn't there be a qualifying reason behind the restraining order? If she actually did apply for one, maybe they felt that her dad did not actually go through with the sexual harassment, nor was there any guarantee that he was going to (he seems a bit creepy, but still no guarantee), so they denied her of the restraining order.

+ Reply to Thread