+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search For Elle Woods

Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search For Elle Woods

Mondays, MTV, 8pm
    About the Show
    Have you ever wondered what it takes to see your name up on the marquee of one of Broadway's biggest hits? Well, Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search for Elle Woods shows you all the hard work, dedication and determination that's needed to become a leading lady in a mega-musical.

After a nationwide casting call, thousands of girls auditioned for the chance to become Elle Woods. Now that the intensive search is over, 10 girls with larger-than-life dreams are going to be given the opportunity of a lifetime -- a shot at the starring role in the Broadway musical Legally Blonde. But only one of them will take center stage when the lights go up.

Filmed in New York City, the search will pull back the curtain on the audition process and show you exactly what it takes to become a Broadway star. The 10 lucky finalists will live together in a NYC loft while working their butts off with some of Broadway's biggest names, including choreographer Denis Jones, vocal coach Seth Rudetsky and some of the cast members of Legally Blonde. Plus, they'll be mentored by singer/actress Haylie Duff, who had her own starring role in the Broadway musical, Hairspray.

It's going to take a lot of hard work, dedication and determination to be the next blonde on Broadway, and the competing girls will be given a crash course in singing, dancing and acting. Each week, the Elle Woods wannabes will step onstage in front of a panel of judges that includes: Broadway actor Paul Canaan, casting director Bernard Telsey and Legally Blonde: The Musical writer Heather Hach. They'll critique the girls' performances, and each week someone's dreams of becoming a Broadway star will come crashing down. When it's down to the final two, Tony Award winning director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell will help determine who's got what it takes to be the next Elle Woods. The last girl standing will land the starring role in the blockbuster Broadway musical!

So, what exactly are we looking for from these starlets? Well, we want someone that can seamlessly slip into the shoes of Laura Bell Bundy, the actress who hits the stage night after night as the perennially perky Elle Woods.

Elle Woods is a girl who loves to be pampered and shop till she drops. But this seemingly ditsy sorority sister is smarter than she seems, and she doesn't take "no" for an answer. When her boyfriend dumps her for someone who's "more serious," Elle decides to revamp her image by heading to Harvard Law School. And we need to find just the right girl to slip into this once-in-a-lifetime role and prove that being yourself and going after what you want never goes out of style!

It's time to head to Broadway, where you'll learn what it's like to be thisclose to nabbing the coveted lead role in the must-see stage production of Legally Blonde. It's a grueling competition and the stakes are high... See who has what it takes to be a star!
    LINK includes bios and full episodes.

I taped it last night and watched it this morning. It's pretty good. Got the typical polarizing over the top characters that seem to be the staple of all reality shows these days but overall the cast seems very talented and I just LOVE Jerry Mitchell! Have no idea who the judges are.

One sour note for me is Haylie Duff. Can't stand her. She is so cold and fake and trying way too hard to be her little sister. She even tries to copy the giggle and the hair toss and can't pull it off. Haylie is not a cutesy type of girl and should just find her own identity. Anyways, fast forward past her and the show is awesome.

Re: Legally Blonde The Musical: The Search For Elle Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3035445;
    One sour note for me is Haylie Duff. Can't stand her. She is so cold and fake and trying way too hard to be her little sister. She even tries to copy the giggle and the hair toss and can't pull it off. Haylie is not a cutesy type of girl and should just find her own identity. Anyways, fast forward past her and the show is awesome.
    I was kind of intrigued by the description until I saw the name Haylie Duff. I might avoid this show simply because of her. You are so right, she is not a cutsey girl at all and whenever I have seen her in commercials and stuff with her sister she tries way to hard to come off that way. She really does need to find her own way with her own (not cutsey) identity.

I like shows with a little more ethnic diversity, how many blonde, blue-eyed girls can we have in one show?

Also, Hilary Duff is so over and Haylie Duff never started. She was too old to be a Disney Channel kid when her sister became famous. She really reminds me of Ali Lohan...both of them tried to break into the entertainment business but due to their sister's succes and their obvious lack of talent is seen by most.

Still, the idea of actors on a reality show is a cool idea, I wish it was a musical with more "edge", Legally Blonde: that was a kewl movie but a play? Not sure.

LOL funny you should mention ethnic diversity because I was thinking how cool it would be to have a latina or oriental or black Elle, don't see it ever happening but it would be interesting. I'd love to see some sort of reality show based around Wicked or heck even Hair Spray.

Fast forward past Duff and the show is pretty good. I think it will get better as they get less contestants, right now there are still too many (10).

PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDS petite_indigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Live_Love_ANTM7;3036792;
    Still, the idea of actors on a reality show is a cool idea, I wish it was a musical with more "edge", Legally Blonde: that was a kewl movie but a play? Not sure.
    I agree with you. When i first heard about the musical i wasn't very excited about. I just couldn' t see how the movie would translate to the stage. However I got a chance to catch it on broadway ( a birthday gift from the hubs) and i was pleasantly surprised. It was witty and funny with out being to over the top.

As far as the show I really think it has makings to be a good one. I already have a fav. Love cassie , who my daughter pointed out was on one of our favorite shows Clean House. She was larger then life on that show,but i think if she can tone it down a taste she will go far.

As far as diversity, i also agree i'm prone to see a little more spice on tv, but the likelyhood of that occuring with this show is slim to none. One can dream though.
    squirrel please!!!!:nono

The casting is for a show called Legally Blonde, and Elle Woods is a California blonde in the same type of atmosphere as Tori Spelling, for example. Whoever is cast is going to have to look the part of this character. If not blonde, she will have her hair dyed just as light-haired men have had their hair dyed dark to play Danny Zuko.

I'm all for diverse casting for most roles that can be written so the ethnicity is not an issue, but some roles have to be cast to type.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The show was pretty good, there are some talented girls trying out for the part. There are a couple that I like so far, but have no idea of anyone's name yet.
    From the previews, the cat fights and drama back at the house look great! Can't wait for that

FORT Regular

We enjoyed Grease: You're the One that I Want", and had hoped that "The Search for the Next Elle Woods" would be equally enjoyable. I was disappointed after watching this first night. In Grease, the judges obviously wanted talent. In Legally Blond, I'm afraid the look is more important than talent.

I admit I'm basing this only on a couple things: (1) the initial cut seemed to be made solely on their dancing; and (2) the choice between Rachel and Rhiannon. We thought Rachel was the best singer out of the group. She could hit the notes and project without screeching. Yes, she needed to work on her facial expressions and movement while singing - but so did some of the others. Rhiannon, on the other hand, scared the judges with her last note. Rachel had far more potential than Rhiannon, in my opinion, but she was let go.

I'll give it another chance, but I think the focus will stay on the look.

The show was much better than I thought it would be. I think I already have a favorite: Cassie the dancer. That girl has a tight bode, she has killer abs.
    The last girl picked has a muffin top that was really aggravating and I kept thinking of her as the girl with the roll of fat around her middle. Very distracting. I wonder if that tis the girl who is told by her roomies to lose weight. I also like it when the one contestent when she said she was not her to make friends (now where have I heard that one before???) and the writer commented back that the "real" Elle Woods would acknowledge she was in a competition and make friends with all the girls. Talk about backpedaling when the writer made that comment.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I laughed and laughed when that girl (who ever she is since they are all this big giant blob of blondeness in my mind right now) tried to backpedal after making that comment about not there to make friends. That's something you tell the camera during a confessional and not something you tell the judges. Hasn't she ever watched a reality show before? LOL

I don't have a favorite because they really haven't focused on any of them long enough for me to be able to single one or two out. The constant reshowing of the glory screech note at the end of that song had me cringing and eventually fast forwarding past it. I keep reading all over the net that people hated Grease and what a mess it was but I loved it so I was very excited to see another Broadway reality show coming on and so far, I like it. Can't wait to see more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast