+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew - Thursdays at 10pm on MTV

Re: Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew - Thursdays at 10pm on MTV

I just watched last night. My thoughts are pretty much in agreement with other posters.

Afroborike: Meh. It was just okay, but I was surprised that Shane so bluntly told them how weak they were!

We Are Heroes: Not as good as I had hoped for. They are still one of my favs, but they really need to step it up. I thought their ideas were good, but the execution was not great.

Vogue Evolution: I did not dislike them as much as I normally do. I thought the beginning and ending were pretty good, but they did get sloppy again in the middle.

Massive Monkees: Another group where I was hoping for a bit more. I thought this challenge was right up their alley. At one point they all did some kind of kick that I thought was supposed to be the 540, but it was really weak. I hope they do better next week.

Beat Ya Feet Kings: Meh. I hope they are the next crew to go.

Rhythm City: I thought they were absolutely wonderful. Interesting, together, energetic. By FAR the best routine of the night!

Southern Movement: Meh. I'm glad they were the ones eliminated. I know Shane raved about them, but I just wasn't seeing it.

I thought it was a very disappointing episode.
    I find We Are Heroes to be very sloppy. The choreo was nothing special, imo, but the exacution was dreadful (again, imo).
    Vogue Evolution always seems to get big cheers from the crowd, but I was very unimpressed this week and can barely recall seeing them complete their challenge moves.
    Massive monkeys challenge execution was very sloppy too.

Thank heavens for Rhythm City. I thought their routine was by far the best. I thought the level of content was far greater than the other routines and they performed it cleanly and showcased the challenge moves.

One thing the show did hi-light is what an incredible martial artist Steve Terada is.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge;3676562;

[Vogue Evolution: Just where the bloody was the Kung Fu, because I'm not seeing it after two viewings. An energetic performance, but it looks like they had a swing and a miss in terms of the challenge. Playing at being a tiger and performing Kung Fu are two different things, and I saw playing at being cats, rather than performing any kind of Kung Fu.
    Exactly what I thought. VE was scratching and clawing but they were not doing kungfu at all. They were playing catwoman in drag. It was so lame and the judges gave them a pass. Those limp wrists can't handle actual kung-fu movement...Terada said not to do it like that and yet they still did. We are Heroes are more masculine than these guys.

Thoughts (this is just based on the Wikipedia, the episode hasn't aired here yet):

I am pissed that they are using Jai Ho yet again. I understand, use a song that was from a top Bollywood-inspired movie, but STILL! I understand it's about mixing the hip-hop with Bollywood but at the same time, I would have loved to see them doing the dances to proper music. It wouldn't even have to have been filmi music, they could have used some of Hard Kaur's stuff.

I like the idea of giving each team a dance style (Kathak, Bhangra, Bharatanatyam (I always misspell that), Giddha, Garba, Rajasthani folk dance), as each of the dances is very complicated. These are dances that take years and years of practice and lessons before performing in some cases, that's how many nuances there are.

Oh, and the right team went home
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I was surprised that pretty much all teams did reasonably well tonight, even massive Monkees, whom I generally dislike and still wanna see them go home. My favorites were Rhythm City, We Are Heroes and Afroborike, whom were a tad out of synch during the stepping part, but I'll cut them a bit of slack due to them being having probably the toughest of the styles, plus hey, most are locals, so I root for 'em! Beat Ya Feet Kings did okay, but not enough to save them, so the right team went home.

I bet Vogue Evolution will be in danger next week, if only for how very disrespectful Leiomy was. Seriously, what an absolute drama queen! From last week's challenge, walking out like that, to being snappy while practicing for this week's challenge, and to top it off, how she reacted to the comments by the judges tonight. Not a smile, looking like she didn't care at all, and even rolling her eyes as Lil Mama spoke to her. I feel sorry for her teammates, who are likeable and obviously love what they do and commit to it, and will end up paying the consequences for Leiomy's bad attitude.

My thoughts-and a warning: I do follow Bollywood, so I am very critical:

Massive Monkees-They did pretty doggone well! The routine melded the Bhangra moves seamlessly into their routine in and out so that it looked like one routine, and not two parts. Granted, I am biased, since they are the Seattle team, but they are fun to watch and they do good stunts. The one at the end? Insane. After watching the rest of the routines, they fall right in the middle, so for me they need to up the ante even more.

Vogue Evolution-This routine, at some points, was very similar to what I would expect in a true filmi-Bollywood routine with the spins and the moves. Sure, it may not be hip-hop, but this is one routine I could watch over and over again. I think that they seriously could do very well with other traditional Indian dances. Yes, Leiomy needs a big attitude adjustment, but I think getting talked down by Lil Mama IN FRONT OF AMERICA will really do that. I could see them going very soon, but I will be voting for them based upon the strength of their routine.

Rhythm City-I was underwhelmed by them. The hip-hop was okay, but the Bharatanatyam? I expected way, way more from them and I know they could have done some of the more complicated stuff, as in the spins and everything. The stunts were good and I liked the bow/taking off the shoes, but this fell way short of my expectations. I have higher expectations for them as opposed to many other groups, and I have high expectations because I do actively follow Bollywood.

Afroborike-WOW. Definitely their best routine of the date, the routine looked a bit filmi as well and their kick segment was not the most in sync, but they were entertaining. The one thing that they do best over almost anyone else is that they entertain, and they lived up to that. Like with Rhythm City, I would have liked to see some more spins. I feel though that Kathak fits with Latin dancing very well though, and it is NOT easy to do, so considering that they were only rehearsing for a few days I think they accomplished it very well.

We Are Heroes-Their routine seemed shorter than many of the others, but their routine was good. The Giddha worked really well with their popping, as it didn't seem like trying to meld two styles but it seemed instead like one total style where the moves complemented each other very well. The creativity was also there, which made their routine enjoyable as they accomplished their task and went above and beyond.

Beat Your Feet Kings-Definitely deserved to go home. I liked how Porsche was actively interested in learning, and I loved their "Download This" shirts. But the routine was just not up to par with the rest of the groups. I liked how they finally used levels, but I just don't feel that they were up to par. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it's not up to par.

Here is my ranking of the groups based on their performances:
    1. We Are Heroes
    2. Vogue Evolution
    3. Massive Monkees
    4. Afroborike
    5. Rhythm City
    6. BYFK (eliminated)

When I say "filmi dance" I talk about one of the song/dance routines that populates most of the "masala" (commercial musical) films which is a hybrid, usually mixing pieces from hip-hop, contemporary/modern, Kathak, Bharatanatyam, and other dance styles-essentially, a masala in and of itself. Some films may have pure numbers of one style of dance, and many of the numbers these days may not even have any traditional Indian dances-but many movies have the filmi dances.

Especially for Massive Monkees, I would have thought it would be cool to see the guys in sherwanis but that's just the nitpicky Bollywood fanatic in me.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I must admit that Massive Monkies Bollywood routine was the first time I have been impressed with that group and they did a fabulous job. I totally liked how they melded their beat boy style with the Indian dance style.

I do agree with Shane, that if it takes the groups to be beat down by the judges to produce such magnificient results then the groups need to be beat down every week. Martial Arts weeked was a zero and Bollywood Nights was a 10.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Massive Monkees - I thought they did okay, but I wasn't all that impressed. I thought all the other crews outshone them this week.

Vogue Evolution - Their routine did not strike me as incredibly difficult, but I liked that their whole performance had the Bollywood "feel" to it. I was annoyed that they brought up the drama to the judges. If they want to show us, as the viewer, this footage - fine. But IMO, the judges should ONLY be judging based on their performance. They do not need the drama clips influencing their opinion of the crew. This was the first time I enjoyed a performance from this group from beginning to end.

Rhythm City - LOVED them! This was my fav performance of the night. This crew is very tight and works very hard at moving together as a group.

Afroborike - Very good job. They had some great moves, and I really didn't notice the synchronization problems until it was pointed out after the fact. The one thing that annoyed me a bit was that the jingling sound from the ankle bells wasn't coming entirely from them. It appeared to be part of the music they were dancing to - it felt a little like "cheating" to me.

We Are Heroes - I was very pleased that I really enjoyed their performance tonight. I like this group, but was unimpressed with them the last couple of weeks.

Beat Your Feet Kings - I thought they embraced their Bollywood style the least. I also did not find their "Download this" shirts to be amusing. In fact, I thought the shirts were a rude 'slap' at the judges - Shane in particular. I'm glad they were the ones eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3685116;
    Martial Arts weeked was a zero and Bollywood Nights was a 10.
    I totally agree! This was really a fantastic performance show!!

Massive Monkees: Very entertaining performance to watch; looks like being tagged by the judges fired them up, because this has got to be their best set so far. I could watch it lots more times without being bored with it.
    Vogue Evolution: Not a bad performance, I guess. Not really my taste, but I will admit they nailed their challenge spot on. Then again, I was Leiomy and I was dressed down by Lil Mama, I'm sure I'd react the same way. Shane's review has got to have been the best, though; after all, "brevity is the soul of wit".
    Rhythm City: These guys were on point, and while I'd like to say "straight fire", I must admit that it's the second time I've seen the double forearm slide from them, and the over/under they did was less impressive than the one did by Quest last season during Week 1, so I'm on the fence. On one point, I really do like their performance, but on another front, I want more and better from them, particular in terms of repeating the same forearm slide, since they could have used any of a number of other slides.
    Afroborike: Considering the garbage reaction from Afroborike during the intro vignette, and the fact I know what capoeira looks like and they certainly didn't pull that off... That aside, the performance was all right. Again, their partner dancing and lifts was on point, and that seems to be their strength, so I'd rather see them stick to that.
    We Are Heroes: Trista said everything I had to say about them. Good job, those women.
    Beat Your Feet Kings: Good riddance. They never impressed me from Week 1, and, to this day, they still don't.
    Revenge is ice cream.

I'm pleased We Are Heroes upped their game this week.
    I felt very certain that whoever was in the bottom two with them would go home, regardless of performance, but was pleased that (imo) they actually did out dance Beat Ya Feet Kings.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread