+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 107 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew - Thursdays at 10pm on MTV

Re: Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew - Thursdays at 10pm on MTV

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy;3672520 View Post
    I don't think it's condescending. It's a style that is really unique and intricate and doesn't have very much publicity at all. People aren't used to it. With the exception of the bone crushers and the Beat Ya Feet Kings (who kind of underwhelm a LOT), the rest of the crews are pretty straightforward.
    It most certainly is condescending. Take a look:

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy;3671219;
    People think the "flailing" is weak, but it's a dance style they can't comprehend because it's not in the mainstream.
    This makes the assumption people are incapable of comprehending the style, rather than taking into consideration people may comprehend the style but dislike it nonetheless, thereby implicitly elevating those who "comprehend" as being "in the know" while denigrating those who apparently don't as being ignorant.

Furthermore, dance is art, and in art, comprehension is far less relevant than feeling; if somebody doesn't like a piece of art, it doesn't make their opinion any less valid than somebody who does, because art isn't about binary answers, but about expression the human experience, which can't be quantified simply with ones and zeros.
    Revenge is ice cream.

This flailing is something that effeminate gay guys do. They do this even when their not dancing, so it's a bit annoying that it's incorporated in a dance or maybe they just couldn't help it because those wrists are just a little too soft. It's a hip-hop dance contest (check the last 3 winners) so they should pop and go hard with their dance, it's like some all-female dance crews....which look more like a cheerleading squad than anything else. In the end, a true hip-hop dance crew will win it (Massive Monkeys or Rhythm City). All the other crews with their gimmicky styles will not be up to par.

I doubt Massive Monkeys will win. Not that I don't want them to, I do, but the way the producers are hyping the crews through the blog, questioning if the Massive Monkeys can carry on the b-boy legacy of the first three seasons makes me suspicious of whether they're manipulating voters in a way where neither a b-boy, all men or West Coast crew will win.
    Revenge is ice cream.

It's just a fact that b-boying is a guy thing and that there are more talented crews in the West. I miss the casting round where they qualify 2 from each region and then select a wildcard or two where a West coast team would usually get picked

Personally, I liked the first season's live audition system, since it started out with multiple crews from each region, followed by the bottom ranking crew from each region battling for the last spot. Then again, that's just me.
    Revenge is ice cream.

No, I liked that as well. I remember there was a big stink when Breaksk8 originally didn't get on, but they were the obvious choice in the wild card round. I think that would be the best way to do it; have a larger group of dancers coming in and performing, and then having the wild cards battle it out for the final spot. I mean, I understand why they wanted to do the season this way-have it be "The West vs. the Rest" but still.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I just watched last weeks episode and am wondering if Beyonce actually chose those songs for the groups, or if she had some guidance. Because it's awfully convenient that Afroborike got the one song with a little Latin in it.

I think the producers picked the song and just paid Beyonce to appear on camera. Then again, that's just me.
    Revenge is ice cream.

FORT Fogey

Bummed that AIM is gone, and even more bummed about the bottom 2 crews. Neither AIM or Akroborike should've been there. Let's reward dancing not gimmicks!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge;3674239;
    I think the producers picked the song and just paid Beyonce to appear on camera. Then again, that's just me.
    That's kind of what I was thinking also.

+ Reply to Thread