+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew - Thursdays at 10pm on MTV

Re: Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew - Thursdays at 10pm on MTV

Wow, just finished a massive infusion of the premiere show and last night's episode. Impressions: isn't that Donyelle from So You Think You Can Dance from about 2 seasons ago? Second impression wow, season 4 dance crews are hands down better than season 3's beat boys. (season 3 was boring) They are interesting, have style and can dance. I am impressed this season is gonna be a whole lot a fun. That being said, what the heck are Artistry in Motion and Afrobike (sp?) doing in the bottom 2. I am sorry, Beat Feet Kings should have been in the bottom 2. Many of the other crews copped out on really incorporating the challenge, Massive Monkeys hula hoops and Rhythm City's Charleston were lame. The two bottom crews embraced there challenges. I would have liked to seen Artistry in Motion stay longer. All in all it was great.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-17-2009 at 11:21 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3666054;
    Wow, just finished a massive infusion of the premiere show and last night's episode. Impressions: isn't that Donyelle from So You Think You Can Dance from about 2 seasons ago?
    Yes, that was Donyelle from SYTYCD.

I thought the wrong crews were in the B2 this week. I would have liked to see much more from both Afroborike and Artistry in Motion. IMO, Beat Ya Feet Kings and Southern Movement should have been the B2.

We Are Heroes - I thought they did a good job. It didn't blow me away, but they are still one of my fav crews this season.
    Rhythm Nation - I think this was the crew with the bed. I really liked that concept, but they should have been more creative with their challenge.
    Massive Monkees - I expected more, but agree that the hula hoops seemed to hold them back.
    Beat Your Feet Kings - Better than last week. Altho they focused so much on the girl that I couldn't really tell you how the guys did.
    Southern Movement - Meh. I wish this crew had been the one to go. This week by dressing the girl to stand out, it highlighted her weaknesses to me. She did not seem as strong as the guys in her crew.
    Vogue Evolution - I seriously do not get the love for this crew. They seem like great personalities, but overall their dancing is weak. They did do a good job incorporating African dance, but their flailing style lends itself to that so it didn't seem like a stretch at all to me. At this point I do not see myself warming up to their style, but maybe they will surprise me...
    Artistry In Motion - When Donyelle talked about leaving their "stamp" on the show I think she was referring to getting a group of "regular" women represented on the show rather than the standard cookie-cutter skinny body type that you typically see on television (ala Fly Khicks). In that sense, I think she is correct. I am sorry to see this group go because I liked them. While their routine started out slow, they did a better and more creative job with their challenge than most crews did this week. However, I have to admit that as soon as I saw Afroborike dance, I knew they were going home.
    Afroborike - This group surprised me this week. I didn't like them much last week, but they were really creative and on-point this time! I look forward to seeing more from them!

Overall I just thought the routines were too short this week. With this many crews in the running they should add 30 mins to the show and give them some more time to perform. Or keep the judges shorter - I feel like I am spending way more time listening to the judges yak on about the performance than I get to spend enjoying the dancing!! At one point my daughter came into the room and one of the crews was about to begin so I told her to stay and watch. It seemed like they were just getting into the groove when it was over. She looked at me and said "that's it?" I was thinking the same thing after nearly all of these performances.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3666772;
    Yes, that was Donyelle from SYTYCD.

I thought the wrong crews were in the B2 this week. I would have liked to see much more from both Afroborike and Artistry in Motion. IMO, Beat Ya Feet Kings and Southern Movement should have been the B2.
    Totally agree with you.

We Are Heroes - I thought they did a good job. It didn't blow me away, but they are still one of my fav crews this season.
    Rhythm Nation - I think this was the crew with the bed. I really liked that concept, but they should have been more creative with their challenge.
    Massive Monkees - I expected more, but agree that the hula hoops seemed to hold them back.
    Beat Your Feet Kings - Better than last week. Altho they focused so much on the girl that I couldn't really tell you how the guys did.
    Southern Movement - Meh. I wish this crew had been the one to go. This week by dressing the girl to stand out, it highlighted her weaknesses to me. She did not seem as strong as the guys in her crew.
    Vogue Evolution - I seriously do not get the love for this crew. They seem like great personalities, but overall their dancing is weak. They did do a good job incorporating African dance, but their flailing style lends itself to that so it didn't seem like a stretch at all to me. At this point I do not see myself warming up to their style, but maybe they will surprise me...
    Artistry In Motion - When Donyelle talked about leaving their "stamp" on the show I think she was referring to getting a group of "regular" women represented on the show rather than the standard cookie-cutter skinny body type that you typically see on television (ala Fly Khicks). In that sense, I think she is correct. I am sorry to see this group go because I liked them. While their routine started out slow, they did a better and more creative job with their challenge than most crews did this week. However, I have to admit that as soon as I saw Afroborike dance, I knew they were going home.
    We must really have been in synch 'cause that is exactly what I was thinking.

Afroborike - This group surprised me this week. I didn't like them much last week, but they were really creative and on-point this time! I look forward to seeing more from them!
    What I really like about the male part of Afroborike is that they are comfortable with their sexuality and can undulate their bodies more like ballroom latin dancers which was to their advantage with this week's belly dancing challenge. The guys are still masculine but sensual vs alot of the other crews where the vibe is more power and tricks and anger and rage and domination vs "sweet seduction".

Overall I just thought the routines were too short this week. With this many crews in the running they should add 30 mins to the show and give them some more time to perform. Or keep the judges shorter - I feel like I am spending way more time listening to the judges yak on about the performance than I get to spend enjoying the dancing!! At one point my daughter came into the room and one of the crews was about to begin so I told her to stay and watch. It seemed like they were just getting into the groove when it was over. She looked at me and said "that's it?" I was thinking the same thing after nearly all of these performances.
    Just an FYI JC said that the dances are only 45 seconds long. Doesn't seem long enough??
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3666918;
    What I really like about the male part of Afroborike is that they are comfortable with their sexuality and can undulate their bodies more like ballroom latin dancers which was to their advantage with this week's belly dancing challenge. The guys are still masculine but sensual vs alot of the other crews where the vibe is more power and tricks and anger and rage and domination vs "sweet seduction".
    ITA, but I have to say that the "sweet seduction" comment made me giggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3666918;
    Just an FYI JC said that the dances are only 45 seconds long. Doesn't seem long enough??
    Doesn't seem nearly long enough to me. I realize that dancing is strenuous, but I still think they should get a couple of minutes... This show is all about the dancing. The ratio of 45 seconds of dancing to 3-4+ minutes of commentary seems out of whack to me.

That irks me as well, because the 45 seconds doesn't give them enough to work with. Especially if they are working with the props, which can get labourious and cumbersome. I respect both AIM and Massive Monkees for making their props a significant part of their routines, but at the same time it held them back. A little bit of extra time would have been much better in order for them to get more of the dance in.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

So OBSESSED with Vogue Evolution. Absolutely my favorite crew this year and close to getting my Fannypak-style love. Leyomi Mizrahi is a goddess in NYC and in the dance world...Fysh n Chicks from Season 1 even used her dance, flew her to the show AND gave her a shout-out in the song. People think the "flailing" is weak, but it's a dance style they can't comprehend because it's not in the mainstream. To vogue well, in sync and to do those dips and leans....FANtastic.

Honestly, hope Massive Monkeys go soon. The b-boy dancing is boring at this point. Same weak dancing with a lot of great tricks.
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case - you figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy;3671219;
    People think the "flailing" is weak, but it's a dance style they can't comprehend because it's not in the mainstream. To vogue well, in sync and to do those dips and leans....FANtastic.
    That is rather condescending to say that just because someone doesn't like VE that it must be because they are just too caught up in the mainstream to possibly be able to comprehend their style. There are plenty of things out of the mainstream that I like (and comprehend) quite well, thank you. Fine, I'm not a vogueing expert. However, I do know what I like and at this point I do not care for VE. Maybe they will grow on me like Fanny Pak did, but there is just no way to tell at this point.

i love them too! i have a couple of friends that are really into the ball scene in nyc. i can't wait to go to one of the big balls out there.

have you ever seen the documentary paris is burning?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy;3671219;
    So OBSESSED with Vogue Evolution. Absolutely my favorite crew this year and close to getting my Fannypak-style love. Leyomi Mizrahi is a goddess in NYC and in the dance world...Fysh n Chicks from Season 1 even used her dance, flew her to the show AND gave her a shout-out in the song. People think the "flailing" is weak, but it's a dance style they can't comprehend because it's not in the mainstream. To vogue well, in sync and to do those dips and leans....FANtastic.

Honestly, hope Massive Monkeys go soon. The b-boy dancing is boring at this point. Same weak dancing with a lot of great tricks.

I'm still a little dissatisfied with how sloppy the crews are, precision is definitely an issue for all the crews this season, they can all be so disoriented...

I am a little more at ease with the crews since the first week, but still left slightly disappointed...so far, Rhythm City would be my guess* for the win, but I'm still not into any of the crews that I would actually vote for anyone...

Martial arts week is coming up, I can only imagine how thats going to go...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3671260;
    That is rather condescending to say that just because someone doesn't like VE that it must be because they are just too caught up in the mainstream to possibly be able to comprehend their style. There are plenty of things out of the mainstream that I like (and comprehend) quite well, thank you. Fine, I'm not a vogueing expert. However, I do know what I like and at this point I do not care for VE. Maybe they will grow on me like Fanny Pak did, but there is just no way to tell at this point.
    I don't think it's condescending. It's a style that is really unique and intricate and doesn't have very much publicity at all. People aren't used to it. With the exception of the bone crushers and the Beat Ya Feet Kings (who kind of underwhelm a LOT), the rest of the crews are pretty straightforward.
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case - you figure it out

+ Reply to Thread