+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1656575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Real Worlds past

Re: Real Worlds past

I never really thought about it but now that you point it out, Crossing Guard, the Real World DID tackle a lot darker, serious issues in the earlier seasons. Off the top of my head I can remember them addressing suicide, abortion, giving alcohol to underage children, shoplifting, being homeless, STD scares, unhealthy dieting techniques, and of course Ruthie's drinking problem.....all in the first eight seasons. They still tackle serious subjects here and there (Paula's eating disorder in Key West, Jemmye's domestic abuse in Back To New Orleans) but mostly we just get drunken fights and hookups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion;4080733;
    ... but mostly we just get drunken fights and hookups.
    Yep, that's about it, damn shame

I don't think anyone posted about this in another thread..... Sean Duffy from RW Boston just won a seat in Congress: Sean Duffy for Congress Welcome
    Apparently, Montana, Cyrus and Jason have all told reporters that, although they love Sean, they would never vote for him because of his politics - he's a conservative Republican.

This sort of feels like when Fred "Gopher" Grandy was in Congress.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He's the one that married Rachel from Real World San Francisco. She also was a conservative Republican. She was very well-spoken, and I've always thought she should have had a shot at The View in place of that awful Elizabeth who also got her start on reality television.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4098779;
    He's the one that married Rachel from Real World San Francisco. She also was a conservative Republican. She was very well-spoken, and I've always thought she should have had a shot at The View in place of that awful Elizabeth who also got her start on reality television.
    If I remember correctly, Rachel did "try out" for The View. There were several young women - including, I think Rebecca Buddig from All My Children and, of course Elizabeth () - who took turns hosting the show after Lisa Ling left. I thought for sure they'd choose Rachel. She was so well-spoken and not such a nitwit.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

About the SF season with Puck....according to the castmates, there was a LOT they didn't show regarding Puck and his behavior and the way he treated the others, especially Pedro. Judd and Pam have spoken out several times about the intolerant and harassing behavior of Puck. So it wasn't simply because Pedro was on a power trip that they removed a contestant, there was a lot of factors that fell into a situation. I think the first challenge of the RR/RW gave a good glimpse into some of Puck's violent tendencies that, for whatever reason the SF season edited out.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4098785;
    If I remember correctly, Rachel did "try out" for The View. There were several young women - including, I think Rebecca Buddig from All My Children and, of course Elizabeth () - who took turns hosting the show after Lisa Ling left. I thought for sure they'd choose Rachel. She was so well-spoken and not such a nitwit.
    I agree, I sent a nasty email to Barbara Walters telling her just how stupid I thought it was to pick Elizabeth over Rachel.

Haven't been to this thread in forever mostly because I haven't watched the real world in forever or road rules.

I liked the earliest seasons of the Real World where they had to function in the real world. Not the staged, tv show gets you a job version of the real world. I liked watching the people going out and living relatively normal lives and learning about each other. Some had jobs. Some didn't. But it wasn't all about drunken hook ups. Which is basically when I stopped watching the show.

The only season I really liked of Road Rules was the first one was well when they had that crappy camper and visited places that joe average would visit and worked average jobs for little money and watching them trying to survive on that little tiny bit of money was hilarious to me.

When Road Rules became a game show basically is when I quit watching that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I stopped watching RR after, I think, Semester at Sea. It was much more fun when it wasn't just a big hook-up on wheels.

+ Reply to Thread