+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Real Worlds past

Re: The Real World: Washington D.C.

I watched SF for the first time a short time ago, and I didn't think Puck was as bad as he was hyped up to be. Annoying, yes, but I don't think he was threatening. And frankly, I thought it was greedy of Pedro to kick him out. But I digress.

Then the first season of Battle of the Sexes came along. What a great season of The RW/RR Challenge, and I still long for the day when MTV will bring out challenges like that again. Anyway, he was freakin' nuts on that challenge! And scary. Didn't he have a machete at one point? His true colors showed.

Thanks for the info, Juls! It's so true, what would we do without Wikipedia? I looked through that page before, but I missed the part about people who had left and was a little bit lazy to look back. Hm, I guess Trisha wasn't the first girl who was asked to leave. And I gotta say, the description of Erika makes it sound very dramatic and interesting, with the whole "possible depression" thing.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 03-25-2010 at 05:04 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3862620;
    I watched SF for the first time a short time ago, and I didn't think Puck was as bad as he was hyped up to be. Annoying, yes, but I don't think he was threatening. And frankly, I thought it was greedy of Pedro to kick him out. But I digress.
    Im sure people are going to call me an ass for this but whatever. To say "If Puck stays then Pedro goes" was pretty selfish on his behalf. He went on that show knowing he was going to be living with 6 other people. Just because he couldnt get along with one because of his personal feelings or illness, he shouldnt have put everyone in the position he did to throw Puck out. Was anyone going to vote out the scumbag guy over the dude with Aids?

Re: Real Worlds past

I never understood how they could just kick Puck out cause they didn't like him or thought he was rude. The point of the real world is for different kinds of peopleto live together, isn't kicking someone out cause they don't get along with everyone kind of ridiculous? Pedro was out of line for giving the ultatum and everyone was wrong for actually kicking Puck out. It always made me laugh that Stephen, who slapped a girl, got to stay in the Seattle house but Puck, who touched no one, had to leave the SF house. So ridiculous
    Last edited by Ace Medallion; 04-29-2010 at 05:50 PM.

A friend of mine knew Puck back before he was on RW and she confirmed that he was a giant sleaze. He actually raped a friend of hers and gave her an STD. My friend found out about the rape years later because the girl didn't tell anyone.

Wasn't he late showing up the first day of RW because he was in jail? He's a scum bag and drunk driving with his young child in the car is just the most recent sleazy thing he's done. Sorry, I'd take 100 Pedros over 1 Puck....and that's still not a fair trade.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Puck is horrible, no doubt about it. Like I said before, his true colors showed during the first Battle of the Sexes. And the story about him raping a woman is horrific!

But putting that aside, his appearance on The Real World was pretty tame when compared to all of these stories about him. No, he didn't pull out a machete like he did on BotS. He didn't even touch anyone, if I remember correctly. The worst thing he did was put his dirty finger in the peanut butter jar.

The words that came out of his mouth were disgusting and mean... but that's all they were--words. I agree with Ace. The show has had it changes over the years, but it has always remained a social experiment. I think the only time someone should be kicked out of the house is when physical harm is done. I don't even think Puck said anything that threatened Pedro. Pedro simply couldn't stand him. So why did Pedro get the ability to kick him out? Was it because of his AIDS? Much power to Pedro for being brave enough to share his story with the world, but it doesn't make it right for him to take the experience away from someone. And keep in mind that I'm defending Puck--PUCK--of all people. I thought it was just a ridiculous situation that was totally mishandled.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I think it's hilarious that we had this discussion all the way back in April about whether or not it was fair for Puck to be kicked out of the house and little did we know the exact same situation was going to play out on the current real world season, Back To New Orleans. I could not stand Ryan but once again I thought it was unfair and ridiculous that all the roomies could band together and kick him out simply cause they didn't like him. For the roommates to be able to kick someone out of the house just cause they don't like him seems so contradictory to what The Real World should be. The show is about different kind of people coming together to live with one another. If they can kick out anyone who doesn't mesh with the rest doesn't it kind of hinder people from being themselves???? Like I said, I found Ryan to be repulsive and WANTED him to leave, I just think it's bogus that they can just decide as a group that he had to leave and he did. Anyway, Back To New Orleans was a so so season for me. Not complete crap but definitely not one of my favorite seasons or even something I really liked. Posted this in the RW New Orleans thread but I guess it fits better in this thread. This is how I'd rank Back To New Orleans in terms of all the other RW seasons:

Miami
    Boston
    New Orleans
    San Diego
    Paris
    Key West
    Chicago
    Brooklyn
    Las Vegas
    Back To New York

Hollywood
    Austin
    Hawaii
    Sydney
    Cancun
    Back To New Orleans
    Seattle
    Washington DC
    LA
    New York
    Denver
    Philly
    London
    San Francisco

Miami, Boston, New Orleans, and San Diego will always be my four favorite seasons of Real World. The casts in those show were just so amazing and the dynamic they had together was just pure entertainment. All of the seasons that are bolded are ones that I just absolutely loved!!!! I actually have enjoyed most seasons of the Real World, even if they are so so. The only seasons I pretty much disliked through and through are Washington DC, LA, New York, Denver, Philly, London and San Fran but even those kept my attention to a point. I hate to admit it but even when Real World is at its worst (Philly, London, San Francisco) it still has it's positive aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22;3863094;
    Im sure people are going to call me an ass for this but whatever. To say "If Puck stays then Pedro goes" was pretty selfish on his behalf. He went on that show knowing he was going to be living with 6 other people. Just because he couldnt get along with one because of his personal feelings or illness, he shouldnt have put everyone in the position he did to throw Puck out. Was anyone going to vote out the scumbag guy over the dude with Aids?
    I remember watching it the first time it aired. I thought Pedro came across as a selfish, INTOLERANT a**. Of course, you couldn't actually say that about him at the time because he was dying and he had AIds.But, the thing is, just because someone has a terminal illness doesn't give them the right to lash out at someone. If you are going to live in a house with a bunch of strangers then you have to know not everyone is going to get along. So, you look at the big picture and you don't use the sympathy you get for being the sick guy as a weapon against the guy you don't like. It was simply a power play on Pedro's part, demanding the `him or me' outcome. Like you said, no one is going to throw out the terminally ill guy. Puck wasn't the easiest guy to deal with but he wasn't particularly offensive -I think he got under Pedro's skin because Puck didn't coddle him. I even admit, I kind of couldn't help but laugh a little at some of Puck's grosser moments. IT wa slike the little brother who knows how to get a ris eout of each sibling.
    Now, I'm not saying Puck is a saint and Pedro was a villain, but I think Pedro was a self-righteous jerk at times. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good guy, but looking back on that season as it actually unfolded Pedro was such a pain in the a** at times. Many people who watched it with me thought so, as well. But it was like "well, we can't say anything because people will think we are intolerant.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Funny that you say that, because when Ryan got kicked out, I thought about Puck and how we were discussing that situation just months before. I agree that Ryan's situation was very much like Puck's, and I also agree that both were unfair. It's not that I like either of them, because I don't. But like you said, it defeats the purpose of the show. The only reason why someone should get kicked out--well, the only reason that I can think of--is if they pose a threat to another cast member. Ryan was disgusting, but he was not threatening. Preston's toilet bowel debacle was more threatening than Ryan's crazy antics put together.

For me, I have a much smaller list. My list is always changing, but I always have the same #1. I enjoyed this last season very much and would rank it second. There aren't many seasons that I'm in love with, but for the most part they all had good qualities within them.

01. Hollywood
    02. NOLA2
    03. San Francisco
    04. Key West
    05. Cancun
    06. Denver
    07. Austin
    08. Brooklyn
    09. Philadelphia
    10. Sydney
    11. Washington DC

1. Boston
    2. New York (the original)
    3. California/La ( I loved Jon, he was looking back a genuinely sincere guy who was bullied- I also remember he was the only person who was there for the girl who had an abortion-despite his own beliefs, while the rest of the roommates didn't offer any supporrt even though they constantly put Jon down.)
    4. New Orleans (the original)
    5. Hawaii
    6. Seattle
    7. San Fransisco
    8. Paris
    9. San Diego
    10. Las Vegas or Miami

Also, I agree, throwing Ryan out was unfair- I could see if he was living with a bunch of saints but geesh- it was essentially one person being ganged up on by people who really didn't have valid reasons to throw him out.
    And when I think about how David, from Seattle was allowed to stay in the house after hitting a woman...that disturbed me because his room mates seemed, if Irecall correctly, not especially bothered by the outburst- and MTV had him get `counseling.' instead of removing him.
    The earlier years seemed more interesting to me because the train wreck mentality hadn't completely taken over- you got to know people and their lives and man, when Ruthie was drinking she got called ot on it and had to go to rehab-fast forward a dozen years and drinking to the extent that Ruthie did, or almost to that point, is the norm and simply part of the real world experience for the participants. I'd like to see a Real World `dry house'(OM Gosh can you imagine The Real World w/o booze at this point).Or would that be boring to most people? It's kind of hard to take Ryan's roommates seriously for instance, in their pointing out how annoying he is when in fact most of them are equally annoying drunks with equally appalling alcohol fueled behavior.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Since my first full season was Philly, I have to depend on past discussion of this show to get a gist of how the older seasons were. Wow, the abortion storyline seems like it was very dramatic! Especially since I don't know if the show would focus on an abortion storyline nowadays; that one may be too controversial. But who knows, the show has been delving into deeper storylines recently.

As for the "dry house" idea, it's not likely. Next season is going to be in Las Vegas (in the Hard Rock Hotel this time, not the Palms), so it's definitely unlikely for that season.

Where do the other seasons lie on your list, redsox girl?

+ Reply to Thread