+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Real Worlds past

Re: Real Worlds past

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;2947880;
    I don't think that had anything to do with it. It started going downhill with Las Vegas.
    but I could have sworn that she was at least sick at the time. I also find it odd that the season's started going downhill the season after 9-11-2001, it's striking.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedwindow;2948515;
    but I could have sworn that she was at least sick at the time. I also find it odd that the season's started going downhill the season after 9-11-2001, it's striking.
    9-11-2001 had nothing to do with it. Once they put it in Vegas and had the hot tub scene the show changed for good.

What people don't remember is they gave us Paris as a complete opposite of Vegas and no one cared. They gave us a semi-Vegas season in San Diego and the ratings were up again. I can't blame MTV, blame the viewers for watching Vegas/San Diego/Austin instead of Paris/Philly

Quote Originally Posted by woundedwindow;2948515;
    Yes, but her sad departure didn't have anything to with the change in format. The times are a changin',that's basically what it is. Viewers don't want the dynamic of 7 very different people and how they interact. They want sex, drama (not the good kind, ie: Kevin and Julie's argument) and violence.

PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDS petite_indigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;2954202;
    Yes, but her sad departure didn't have anything to with the change in format. The times are a changin',that's basically what it is. Viewers don't want the dynamic of 7 very different people and how they interact. They want sex, drama (not the good kind, ie: Kevin and Julie's argument) and violence.
    But can't you get that when you put 7 very different people in house together ? Those past seasons you speak of had those things plus people actually learning something about each other. Puck alone did all 3 of the things you just mentioned. I just think they believe that they have this formula. However now people are not people they are characters, sterotypes. I think they need to apply the old school essence back into the show, that's what made it so intriguing in the first place.
    squirrel please!!!!:nono

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;2934018;
    ITA Veruka, Real World is not what it used to be, but I guess that's what the kids want nowadays. It seems like if former housemates write off RW then RW writes you off. Way back when, they did say a little blurb about Dom and Aaron but nothing since. Aaron I don't really care about but I would like to know what Dom is up to.
    This is from 3 years ago but I assume Dom is still in the entertainment industry.
    Dominic Griffin - Entertainment News, Web Exclusive, Media - Variety
    CYA

FORT Fogey

I think that the evolution of the Real World was due to a number of factors. All of them contributed, some more than others, but they're all significant.

1. The growth of reality TV. When the show first started, it was a very unique and abstract concept to watch regular people living regular lives as a TV show. Since it couldn't be seen anywhere else, that alone was a draw. As reality TV grew as a medium, just watching regular people didn't hold an audience as well. The envelope was pushed on other shows, so MTV, being the envelope pushing network, had to move with them.

2. Las Vegas - each season had to some degree or another reflected the personality of the city that hosted it. That reflection came in a variety of ways, from having people native to that city living there, having them do a job that reflected that city, having the house decorated in a way that reflected the city, etc. Well with Las Vegas, "sin" was the name of the game. I think it was put in there initially to reflect the city, but it worked in attracting viewers so it stuck around.

3. The show grew as far as its impact on culture went, which changed the show. In the early seasons, you had cast members who saw going on the show as being a unique experience for a few months. In later seasons, the show became a launching pad to fame if you worked it just right. That evolution changed the type of person who would try out for the show, as well as the motivation of behavior once they got there. In addition to that, the way the show was taped had to be altered. In early seasons, no one quite knew why there was a camera following those two people down the street. Many pepole, if told "Oh I bet that's for The Real World" would not have enen known what that meant. Now, its well known what city theyr'e filming in, and if you're at a club in that city and see cameras, you know they're taping The Real World. So not only do the cast members behave differently, but the city does as well. As a result, the cast members are a bit more isolated from their surroundings.

There are other factors that play in as well. But i think those are the big 3 that had more to do with outside influences that had to happen than any sort of deliberate decisions by the producers to change the tone of the show.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2954350;
    This is from 3 years ago but I assume Dom is still in the entertainment industry.
    Dominic Griffin - Entertainment News, Web Exclusive, Media - Variety
    I'm not sure but I think this is a more recent update.
    Real World Stars: Where Are They Now? - AOL Television
    (Picture #5)
    Now: Griffin still lives in the U.S. and works in the entertainment industry, with stints as a senior editor at Film Threat magazine, a critic for Variety, a radio show producer and founder of a company that helps place music in movies, TV shows and video games. Currently, Griffin's a music and TV executive at Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by petite_indigo;2954245;
    But can't you get that when you put 7 very different people in house together ? Those past seasons you speak of had those things plus people actually learning something about each other. Puck alone did all 3 of the things you just mentioned. I just think they believe that they have this formula. However now people are not people they are characters, sterotypes. I think they need to apply the old school essence back into the show, that's what made it so intriguing in the first place.
    Exactly, but that is not what the kids that watch it nowadays want. It was evident with the Awards show. The format of the early seasons unfortunately is in the past and will remain there.

Quote Originally Posted by jguitar;2957120;
    I'm not sure but I think this is a more recent update.
    Real World Stars: Where Are They Now? - AOL Television
    (Picture #5)
    Thanks for the update jguitar
    CYA

FORT Newbie

This season DEFINITELY takes the cake for craziest uninvited house guests!

The proof: realworlddailies.com/Video/Handle-your-friend/092ECFFFF00A1312F0017001CF7A8

+ Reply to Thread