+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real World goes to Austin

In the "supposed" warm south where it's been cold for weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CallieCutie
    I still like to go out and have my fun and drink and party... even on week nights (gasp!) but trust me, MTV makes kids believe this is what college and life after high school is like, and they're completely wrong!

I was in the big party sorority on campus, knew alot of the athletes and went to their parties, and I still never did as much these people on MTV.
    I agree!
    I went to BGSU, which is known for being a party school and I am not going to say that I did not do my fair share of partying because I would be lying, but I never took my partying to such extremes. I was never in a soriority, but I had lots of friends who were in fraternities and I was also friends with baseball and football players. I managed to have fun and still maintain my dignity. There was a lot more to the transition from HS to college than that. More about finding who you truly are, struggles with relationships, seeing friend's true colors, struggles with college life, and so much more and you don't even need to go to college to have those experiences. MTV makes it look like 20 year-olds biggest problems in life are that they haven't gotten laid all week!

I'm 21 and a senior in college.

My university is not known as a party school, more like a center for pre-meds & engineers. Of course we still party, but far from the illusion that MTV paints college atmosphere to be. Most students here enjoy simply hanging out with their friends & having meaningful discussions rather than being intoxicated.

While everyone loves to have their fair share of fun, most students here also realize they are adults, have responsibilities, and have goals in life they want to accomplish. MTV either enjoys casting those that only thrive in a party atmosphere OR edit all the good insightful parts leaving us with drunken fights and hookups.

I still feel Philly was a terrible season, BUT it had potential. The castmembers, especially Karamo, Sarah, Willie, & Mel were all very different, intelligent, and interesting in their own unique way. It was too bad that they focused too much on the sex and the Vonda & Popcorn head love story.

Bottom line, college isn't simply about sex and booze, there's more to it. Its a huge transitional period for everyone, not just the college students, but the time when parents have to gradually allow their children to grow on their own.

Also GO UCSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I watched the first episode and I doubt I'll be back. This show used to be about how people dealt with each other. They have always cast diverse people, but now they're not just casting people who will create drama (Puck, Tammy, Kevin NY, etc.), they're picking people who will drink a lot and want to have sex.
    They should change the opening line.

This is the edited story of 7 strangers picked to live in a frat house, party together and have their lives taped. When people stop being mature and start getting drunk. The Party World: Austin.

Obviously, NOT everyonein the past few seasons have been like that, but the ones that are actually sensible and mature individuals have been given the shaft so that the party animals take center stage.

Someone should send this thread to the Real World Producers....

Let them know what real 20-25 year olds think...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    They should change the opening line.

This is the edited story of 7 strangers picked to live in a frat house, party together and have their lives taped. When people stop being mature and start getting drunk. The Party World: Austin.

Obviously, NOT everyonein the past few seasons have been like that, but the ones that are actually sensible and mature individuals have been given the shaft so that the party animals take center stage.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabet Soup
    Jacquse and Randy weren't all buff like some others (CT, Brad, Danny, etc) Donnell is far from in shape, even though he was on Road Rules.
    My point is that the majority of males cast on this show are jocks or body builders and that the show producers are trying to push that body type as being normal. Looks of guys I knew in high school and college and the working world did not have buff bodies like that. Lots of the jocks were fat by the 5 yr high school reunion and looks of the geeks and nerds had grown into their looks and were well ahead socially, mentally, and financially of the jocks who can't get past their high school glory days.

If nothing else I was impressed with Jacquese for being mature and handling himself very well in a situation were they are being filmed 24/7.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    And we'd like some matching females, too, right? After all, some fat girls do go to college or otherwise live beyond high school.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    And we'd like some matching females, too, right? After all, some fat girls do go to college or otherwise live beyond high school.
    Yeap, I want to see regular people who are not blonde bomshells with implants , not size 2's and are so horny they hook up with anything.

stupid realworlders and there mugshots

Wheatfield, NY (outside of Niagara Falls)
    Here's the flaw in the "Real World/There's More to College than Partying"...

While the castmates are mostly "college students", they generally aren't currently taking classes while the show is filming. In the past, many castmates were either local and still attending classes or doing the long-distance learning thing, so they actually had work to do (or had actual jobs, not the fluff they set up for them now). Like all of us normal folk in college! However, these people are now in the "college atmosphere" with all the coursework removed!

Think back to yourself in college... if you had absolutely no work to do, no classes, or any other responsibilities such as a real job, what would you do with your time? For me at least, evenings probably would have consisted of a fair amount of partying.

The Real World merely exploits the spring break-like atmosphere. And I will continue to watch for the entertainment.
    "The fact is, sometimes its hard to walk in a single woman's shoes. That's why we need really special ones now and then- to make the walk a little more fun."

--Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

+ Reply to Thread