+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Made (MTV)

11/23 - No Show Tonight - Boo Hoo

Personally, I detest when because of a holiday the networks screw up my viewing. That is why I have 2 tv's and 2 vcrs.

The Soccer kid will be on next week.

11/30 - the Soccer Kid

I have never seen MTV promote Made or an episode of Made as much as I have in the last 10 days. Anyway the new ep is on tonight 10pm EST. Enjoy.

The Soccer Kid

At first I was predisposed to be a bit snippy with this overweight kid who wanted to become a soccer player and accepted by the male population of his high school. The show opens with the typical shot of small town Vermont and us introducted to Josh. Josh is a theater geek, openly gay, overly dramatic and for being so out of shape he is the first boy to make the cheer leading squad.

During the beginning of the show Josh does relate to us that he was disappointed when he finally decided to come out of the closet that his annocement did not recieve more surprise. Josh is so out that and girly (his words not mind) that it is obvious he is gay from a very young age. I do like the relationship he has with his older brother. He is so accepting of Josh and how he is and that he was born that way and its ok. The thing is Josh's older brother never had a weight problem, was into sports and has a real tight bond with their father and a lot of that bond is thru sports. Dad is the quiet silent type and does not express himself very much like Josh. I do like Josh's mom and dad as they seem very down to earth type of folks and treat Josh just like any other kid.

Well, let me get back on track. The point of this Made is that Josh wants a better relationship with his dad and he feels that he should do it like his older brother did and that is thru sports.

The is a very moving scene where we are in Josh's bedroom and Josh does reveal that yes he is very over weight and he shows us his manboobs, Josh does not like how he looks and it does hurt him very much. At this point I will apologize for a previous post mocking his size.

Josh meets his Made coach and there starts the drills. Remember Josh has 6 wks to transform into a soccer player. He has absolutely no skills, no stamina . Of course he is in absolute pain during the workouts. He is also given a trainer so he will work out with weights. After doing a basic physical we find out that Josh is 295 lbs. Over 40% body fat, technically that is considered morbidly obese. Josh is shocked he did not think his numbers would be that bad. The trainer hopes that they can drop at least 10% of his body weight.
    Of course between 2 hr soccer practices and personal training that is at least 3 hours of exercise a day. A shock to the body. Of course this is were the drama starts. Josh starts crying that is hurts, yes it does. The coach also wnats him to start interacting with the soccer team in pickup games. This is so amusing cause the term 'screams like a girl' so totally applies to Josh. A lot of the guys on the soccer team are very irritated with Josh over the screaming and the fact that he spends a lot of his time socializing with the girls. They don't think he is taking this very seriously. Josh's Made coach ends up sending him to Soccer Camp. Let's just say that all day boot camp is very difficult for him and there are crying issues. Again Josh's Made coach pushes to socialize with the guys on the soccer team. At one point Josh gets a chance to practice with the local professional soccer team and his dad goes to watch. That seemed like it was a good bonding moment and you can see that Josh has greatly improved physically.

In Josh's high school everyone that wants to play is allowed on the team but the coach decides who will play that night. Josh does not make the list and is very disappointed. At the end of the game Josh is finally allowed to play and did assist on a goal.

He also lost 35 lbs and got a new haircut. I do hope that he continues with his weight lost for his health's sake. He also manages to form some friendships with the boys on the soccer team. Part of it was that he has to prove that he was serious and trying and not just goofing around and doing it just to be on Made. I liked the outcome of this show and wish Josh all the best in the future and I hope that he and his dad have a better relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Brittny is on her high school softball team but she wants to be made into an Emerald, which is the name of the schools dance team and of course they are all the popular girls.

At first I was not too impressed with Brittny as her dream seemed very shallow. "I want to be popular". Oh no not again. Then she revealed that she was born with a disease, alopecia, that causes hair loss and she is practically bald, and I don't think has any eyebrows either or eyelashes. She is known in school as the weird girl who wears wigs. I thought she was very brave showing us her real head. All she really wants is to have some hair. I think that this condition has really affected her self esteem and how she sees herself and that is why she wants to be made.

We meet Rachel, her made coach, this woman meets Brittny in the gym by opening the gym door and doing a series of front walkovers all the way down the gym to were Brittny is waiting. Rachel, used to be a Silver Spurs Dancer (part of the Spurs basketball team) and is now the choreographer. Rachel asks to see Brittny dance. Meanwhile, Brittney, Brittny's cousin and a Emerald and several of her teammates stand by and watch. Let us say that our Brittny can't dance and poor Rachel has only 6 wks to train her.

During the first week of training Brittny manages to sprain her foot very badly. But the coach has her doing other stuff. Because she is training so hard Brittny has had to miss softball practice and of course not see her best friend Patty. What surpises me is what poor shape Brittny is in she had no stamina and cannot do any pushups. The makes me wonder if the girls on the softball team workout at all.

Of couse there is the boy she likes and hopes will ask her to the prom as she has never had a boyfriend or been asked to any of the dances. But of course that does not go well, and it interfers with her dance practice. Rachel tells her to either shelve it or use the angry and dance better. She uses the angry to help her focus on her dance and actually does well during practice.

Tryouts come too soon and even the established team members have to tryout for their positions. Some of these girls have been dancing since they were 3 or 4 yrs old. They are good. You can really see the difference between Brittny's technique and theirs. Brittny is disappointed that she did not make the team, but it really was a long shot, cause they were well over a hundred girls trying for these spots and they were all way better than she was. What Brittny got out of this experience is that she is confident in who she is and that she does have a good group of friends in her softball team. That and she had to push herself outside of her box and be more social. What she gained was knowledge of who she is, self confidence and self esteem and that is priceless.
    This was filmed during my graduating year at my school!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawaj View Post
    This was filmed during my graduating year at my school!
    Cool, so how was the experience of having a film crew around???

It was cool during lunch and outside, but in the halls between class it became a zoo of attention hungry people bombarding the cameras.

We were supposed to have two girls on Made, the other being a tomboy girl (who's a lesbian) running for prom queen, but she became ineligible for it because she had too many absences.

It was cool during lunch and outside, but in the halls between class it became a zoo of attention hungry people bombarding the cameras.

We were supposed to have two girls on Made, the other being a tomboy girl (who's a lesbian) running for prom queen, but she became ineligible for it because she had too many absences.
    NO, you mean the school halls really aren't thatcrowded, its only the same people being filmed over and over again. Probably the same ones (types) that complains about the Real World but end up in fights with them.

Actually, I've never seen the halls as crowded as when MADE was at our school. Either a lot of people actually came to school or they hired extras. :p.

And I was on a look out for the people I knew being on camera, and I think they really did film a lot of different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    Probably the same ones (types) that complains about the Real World but end up in fights with them.
    I don't get what you mean on this part.

Actually, I've never seen the halls as crowded as when MADE was at our school. Either a lot of people actually came to school or they hired extras. :p.

And I was on a look out for the people I knew being on camera, and I think they really did film a lot of different people.

I don't get what you mean on this part.
    Sometimes there are folks who bitch about a certain thing, person, activity. In this case I will use the Real World as an example. Lately, in the seasons, when the cast goes out to the clubs, they get a lot of people in there face yelling at them, tossing beer and insults at them, and trying to start fights. If they didn't like the Real World, why not in the words of Judge Judy, just walk away and don't have anything to do with it. Instead they come up to the cast mates and try to start a verbal or physical fight telling the world how they hate the Real World, yet they are on camera getting filmed. I know that in some Made episode some of the kids in the schools felt that the only reason that the kids were on the show was to get attention not to have a life change, yet these kids that complain, make sure they get on camera as much as possible.

12/07 - from 'Shy Girl' to 'Sasstress'

Meet Nadia, a very shy Asian girl who wants to be made into her high school's American Idol.

We are in New York City. Nadia is the stereotypical smart very shy Asian girl. She wants to sing her the Central Valley High School version of American Idol known as Central Idol. Her problem is her shyness. Nadia thinks everyone judges her and her actions and she does her best to fade into the woodwork she is literally frozen thinking everyone is watching her and her actions. She even has this smile on her face that looks frozen on. She walks slouched over as if trying to hide. She will be competing against some very talented girls, Marcey and Adina. She meets her Made coach in the middle of dance class when he shows up dressed in a cow costume and giving her a singing telegram. The thing is she needs to meet her coach in a park in town not knowing that the 'mad cow' was her coach. At the park she walks all over looking for her coach. She sees the guy who was the 'made cow' coaching a singer and what does she do? She walks up to the singer and asks if she is her made coach. Finally the 'mad cow' introduces himself as her Made coach. His name is Seth and he coaches singers and is a conductor on Broadway. Seth sees his biggest job as throwing Nadia into difficult humiliating situations to get over her shyness. He brings in 3 of his colleagues to be Nadia's audience and she totally freezes up. She feels torn apart as they critique her. Later he makes her sing in front of some of her classmates. Again she freezes, crys and refuses to sing. A true Made moment. Later Seth says what did they learn from that. she is incredibly stubborn in her refusal to sing , but that can be a good thing and all in all it was not that bad because her school friends did not judge her they supported her. Seth continueally trys to stretch Nadia's self confidence by teaching her to walk and to hold herself up high regardless of the embarassing situations.

Finally, Nadia sighs up for the Central Idol contest. She has to pick a song and picks Lady Marmalade. Suffice to say Seth is blown away by her choice, partly because it is so not like Nadia and the song is supposed to reflect the singer. Seth and Nadia throw themselves into practice. During the auditions Nadia comes in and I was afraid she would freeze but she manages to make it thru. Ten girls make the cut. Nadia is number 10. They go to a stylist and get an outfit. Nadia starts to talk to other girls in the contest, because she will be rapping a part of the song and they other girls have a hard time believing she will be able to do that. In fact the other girls, Marcey and Adina are very helpful and supportive of her. Nadia get 3 girls to be her backup vocals.

The day of the competition Nadia reminds me of me. So nervous she is talking a mile a minute. Seth shows up with a makeup artis who styles her hair and does her makeup. The stylist helps her with her outfit. Seth is proud of Nadia cause she does not seem nervous at all buy on a high and with lots of self confidence. Right before she goes on Nadia has a panic attack and she looks as if she is hyperventilating and I thought she might pass out. She manages to get together and goes out and performs and looks great, moves great but I don't know if there were copyright issues or maybe sound issues or she didn't sound so great because the vocals were not good ( you could barely her them) and you really didn't get a feel of how she sounded. Nadia did not win, Marcey did but you can see that this is the best thing she could have done for herself. I see the real Nadia and not the frozen shell she previously showed the world. She is still a sweet shy girl but it was natural and not a frozen smile plastered on her face.

+ Reply to Thread