+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Made (MTV)

10/26 figure skating episode

We meet Zach, who goes to a prep school in Richmond, VA (yeah, my neck of the woods). He maintains an A average in his school work, is a 3 sport athelete, lacrosse, basketball and football, plays the saxaphone and is in the choral group. And he has a cute girlfriend. What more could he possibly want. Respect. He doesn't seem to get any from his teachers, his friends and certainly nothing from his Dad; Gerardo. Zach wants to be made into a figure skater. All his friends think he is nuts. His best friend tells him to his face he wants him to fail and fail miserable.

Where does all this negativity come from? It is hard to tell but he does not get any kind of support from anyone except his Mom.

He meets his Made coach Dave at the local SkateNation at 6:15am. Well, he is 15 min late cause he couldn't get his skates on so it is actually 6:30am. Seems as if he isn't late to school unless it is after 9:00am. Since when does high school start so late. I guess that is why he grips so much about getting up at 5:00 am. When he starts working in the real world he will have no choice so enjoy while you can. Anyway, The first lesson is a disaster. Zach mentions that he can't skate and he has 6 wks to learn and compete in a competiton. He can 't even do a swizzle and the coach hopes to get him jumping doing a waltz jump and a toe jump for the competition. HA HA.
    Coach Dave wants to see Zach at 6am the next day but Zach does not show up because he wants to rest cause his lacrosse team has a game that afternoon and he does not want to be tried for it. Zach's team is in the running for the state championship. Dave is upset, but Zach's team won. DAve shows up at the game and is not happy with Zach.

Meanwhile, Zach's dad is riding him about skating not being manly enough, Zach's dad is 61 and can bench press 212 lbs. DAve comes over to meet the family and ends up showing Gerardo that he can bench press 212 easily, so Gerardo, says it is ok for Zach to be a figure skater. In the meantime Zach is doing poorly and getting frustrated cause he is a 3 sport athelete and doesn't get why he can't skate. Coach Dave sends him to ballet class. How humiliating. Zach is also falling asleep in class because of his early morning practices.

At one point Oksana Bauil shows up at Zach's house and takes him skating and shows him how to fall properly. That was fun and she was very supportive.

There is a big blow up because the lacrosse team is going to play for the state championship and there is the conflict between skating and lacrosse and all of his teammates are riding him about quitting. They lose by 2 points during the final game and Zach blames himself. But after listening to his teammates from earlier in the show I am amazed he is on any of these teams cause according to them he is a disaster on the field. Regardless, Zach makes and puts up flyers asking people to come and support him during the skating meet. His best friend refuses to come and does not show up. Zach comes in 2nd place and his parents and friends are thrilled for him.

I think the reason Zach did this is because it is something he wanted to do for himself and not was what expected as far as being a good student, an athelete and play music. All in all a good show. I hope tha Zach continues his skating.

When does it come on? I keep missing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSoMagnificnet
    When does it come on? I keep missing it.
    On WED at 10PM on MTV, repeats several times during the wk. Fri at 3PM (I think). Check out http://tv.yahoo.com/ their tv schedule is more reliable than MTV's.

FORT Newbie
    i dont know why i never really like mtv;s stupid shows but made aint to bad all of the sudden. i saw the one with the hardcore girl that became prom queen that was probably the most drastic change on that damn show but either way she was a cute girl and that dude she went to prom with was a dork because he was thinkn hey shes hot now, prom night? hmmm we all know what he was thinking. but she was a good lookn girl either way i didnt really see a problem with her
    Last edited by zaofire; 11-05-2005 at 09:28 PM.

11/02 - episode - Brittny - I wanna be an 'Emerald'

Brittny is on her high school softball team but she wants to be made into an Emerald, which is the name of the schools dance team and of course they are all the popular girls.

At first I was not too impressed with Brittny as her dream seemed very shallow. "I want to be popular". Oh no not again. Then she revealed that she was born with a disease, alopecia, that causes hair loss and she is practically bald, and I don't think has any eyebrows either or eyelashes. She is known in school as the weird girl who wears wigs. I thought she was very brave showing us her real head. All she really wants is to have some hair. I think that this condition has really affected her self esteem and how she sees herself and that is why she wants to be made.

We meet Rachel, her made coach, this woman meets Brittny in the gym by opening the gym door and doing a series of front walkovers all the way down the gym to were Brittny is waiting. Rachel, used to be a Silver Spurs Dancer (part of the Spurs basketball team) and is now the choreographer. Rachel asks to see Brittny dance. Meanwhile, Brittney, Brittny's cousin and a Emerald and several of her teammates stand by and watch. Let us say that our Brittny can't dance and poor Rachel has only 6 wks to train her.

During the first week of training Brittny manages to sprain her foot very badly. But the coach has her doing other stuff. Because she is training so hard Brittny has had to miss softball practice and of course not see her best friend Patty. What surpises me is what poor shape Brittny is in she had no stamina and cannot do any pushups. The makes me wonder if the girls on the softball team workout at all.

Of couse there is the boy she likes and hopes will ask her to the prom as she has never had a boyfriend or been asked to any of the dances. But of course that does not go well, and it interfers with her dance practice. Rachel tells her to either shelve it or use the angry and dance better. She uses the angry to help her focus on her dance and actually does well during practice.

Tryouts come too soon and even the established team members have to tryout for their positions. Some of these girls have been dancing since they were 3 or 4 yrs old. They are good. You can really see the difference between Brittny's technique and theirs. Brittny is disappointed that she did not make the team, but it really was a long shot, cause they were well over a hundred girls trying for these spots and they were all way better than she was. What Brittny got out of this experience is that she is confident in who she is and that she does have a good group of friends in her softball team. That and she had to push herself outside of her box and be more social. What she gained was knowledge of who she is, self confidence and self esteem and that is priceless.

November 9th I think a girl named Alyssa will be on. Her life coach is Jeff Yalden. I met him and he is hilarious! Watch the show, she will be trying to get on Saturday Night Live.

11/09 - Alyssa wants to be made

Alyssa is from Minnesota and the accent got to me at first. This girl just wants to find a direction to go in life. Generally, I give the Made participants a grain of salt before I pass too hard a judgement but I am sorry Alyssa, was very hard to like or feel any type of sympathy or compassion. She seemed so clueless and had no energy she almost put me to sleep. I basically thought she was a lost cause. I do agree with some of the kids on the show. What is with her hair. It looks as if this girl just gets out of bed and has permanent bedhair. She does not care about herself at all the apathy is so thick it is very hard to cut. I felt sorry for her life coach, Jeff. Even the marines, Jeff's alma mater could do nothing with this girl. Jeff forced her to come up with some areas she would like to explore and got her jobs at a massage therapy school, a coffee shop and as a landscaper. Alyssa's worse habit is being late, even when Jeff stood her up for an hour and a half I don't think she quite got it. I do like that she seemed to feel some guilt over her behaviour and that she did find a direction to go in; comedy. Even while she was doing a week (or was it a 2 week workshop at a comedy shop) her behaviour was out of control and needed to be reined in. She needs discipline and an idea of how to act professionally. Surprisingly, Alyssa got a scholarship to study at the Comedy Shopz in any of the major cities one is located. I was just as shocked as she was. Also Jeff helped her study and helped her pass 3 of the classes she was failing and made sure she graduated. At the end of this episode, Alyssa had a true direction in life and seemed much more alive then she did at the beginning of the show.

11/16 - making of a band

Welcome to Colorado. Allaric, (hope I spell her name right) is a free spirit, a hippie, a little wacky. She is not afraid of showing who she is. That in itself shows she has a lot of self confidence, epsecially, since it is high school. She plays 6 instruments. looks as if she is in the marching band, and wants to win the school talent show with a rock and roll band. Why??? mmmm that does seem to be the question. I think it took me a while to figure that out. Her song is that she exists and I guess she wants the school to know that and acknowledge her as a person instead of the freaky hippie geek kid.

The way she dresses reminds me of the movie 'Annie Hall' and how Diane Keaton dressed, shabby, loose fitting, hats, obviously thrift store shopping.

Although, Allaric has a dream/goal I don't think she really has a clear vision of what she wants and that really is the crux of this episode. Kat her made coach is constantly telling her to find her voice, to take charge and lead. Of course there are problems. Kat tells, Allaric she must ditch her best friend Sam from the band cause it is a problem with Allaric not taking charge and contantly hiding behind the "we think". Also during rehearsal Allaric fails to take charge and lead. Members are already wanting to quit because there is no direction. In fact, Allaric has to talk to the drummer to come back, and (Allaric) has to step up and take charge of the rehearsals. There is a great moment when she totally blows up. Ah.... I miss those moments of total teenage meltdown. A true, MTV and Made moment.

At one point Jessie, the guitarist can't be at rehearsal for about a week and Kat finds a replacement, Blake also a football player and hottie. He is good. But there is tension when Jessie comes back. Let's face it if you have 6 weeks to prepare for a talent show and one guitarist up and leaves for one week wouldn't you have to find a replacement. After all you have 4 or 5 other people who's will loose a week of practice if you don't.

Allaric, did have a moment after her blowup where she decided that the reason she has so many problems with her peers is that she pushes people away from her. So she addresses the student council and makes a suggestion to collect donations at the talent show to raise money for the victims of Katrina. The student council accepts the idea and they make posters to hang around school. Allaric mentions that this is the most time she has ever spent being social with this group of kids.

At the talent show Allarics group, Snapshot, may not be allowed to participate because the Keyboardist, Ian has to work and may be fired if he is not at work that night. Ian needs to be there at least 5 minutes before they go on stage else they will not be allowed to play. Ian shows up. The group goes out and plays and wins the talent show. One judge, tells Allaric the reason he voted for her group was because of the message of her song, "I Exist".

NEXT WEEK: Yes, the Wednesday before Turkey Day, there is a new episode about a kid named Josh who wants to be Made a soccer player. Problems, well Josh has man boobs.

FORT Regular
    Re: Britney the prom queen

I caught the end of a re-run of this one that had an update screen at the end. Her "hot" date broke up with her and the "nice" guy she dumped for the other one is no longer speaking with her.

I sympathized with her goal, but I thought the decision to drop one date for another was shallow and obnoxious, so she kinda got what she deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by iced_spice
    Re: Britney the prom queen

I caught the end of a re-run of this one that had an update screen at the end. Her "hot" date broke up with her and the "nice" guy she dumped for the other one is no longer speaking with her.

I sympathized with her goal, but I thought the decision to drop one date for another was shallow and obnoxious, so she kinda got what she deserved.
    Its high school and her senior year, she just started exploring her social life and boys. She has 4 yrs of college to really mess up her love life and then going out in to the single working girl scene. Britney has plenty of time to mess up and this won't be her first time.

+ Reply to Thread