+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Made (MTV)

[B]Comments on 6/29 premiere show[/B]

The first show of the 6th season of Made is about Nile, a white Jewish nerd who is a sophomore at one of the best schools in Minneapolis and is totally picked on. Also, his father has a gold record for having written the disco hit 'Funkytown'. Nile is trying to find his niche in life and has tried all sorts of sports and hobbies and has failed at them all. Suffice to say he lacks any sort of confidence.

We meet his Made coach, who has a name I can't pronouce, forgive me if I spell it incorrectly, C Rayz Walz. He and Nile are definitely from 2 different worlds.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in Nile for the first half hour, because his biggest problem is lack of any kind of self confidence and he does not see the reason for doing or trying to do any of the exercises that C Rayz is giving him. The reason for the exercises is to get yourself out of your box, your safe zone and to stretch yourself and grow. At one point I just wanted to go and yell at him and tell him that he is wasting a golden opportunity, that it didn't matter if he failed what mattered is that he tried. On top of that he was a miserable rapper.

I thought that his mom was cute and loved it when she asked C Rayz about his criminal past. She was just being a good concerned parent and she embarassed her kid at the same time, wow a twofer. Go mom. Even Nile's father turned around and ended up supporting him. I think Nile's dad is like a lot of parents, they want their kids to excell at things but really don't know how to motivate them correctly.

I thought that Nile was getting alot of freebies and meeting alot of celebrities but I didn't see him working very hard, that and his attitude made me think that this was not going to end well. I was surprised to see that he did well at a rap contest and he performed well at his own show. He had been practicing and we had not seen it. What was great was to see his confidence just shine through at the end.

MTV is doing a Life After Made segment and I will check that out and see what it says.

Comments on 7/6 show - Sam the Man

This a story about a tomboy who wants to be turned into a girly girl.

Before I go any further I will note that I noticed alot of similarities between this kids personality and the previous episode with Nile, in one case they are strong personalities and they do seem to know alot of the kids in the high school they both want to change and they both have hissy fits when they actually have to do something to change. Why do they even apply for this show, it like watching folks on these diet shows, sure I want to change my lifestyle and lose weight just as long as I don't have to workout and still eat my favorite foods. Change is hard but if you are so miserable now why do you fight what you would like to try???

Anyway our girl Samantha is a tomboy and is on the girls lacrosse team and is called Sam the Man cause she always hangs out with the guys, farts, burps, hacks, spits and basically acts like a boy. She also wears basketball shorts all the time, has 15 pairs, sleeps in the clothes she wears to school the next day and does not seem to wash herself. Definitely hygiene problems. That might be some of her problem right there and I do blame her parents for not putting a stop to it at an earlier age. She is unhappy with her life and would like to be a girly girl and have some girlfriends to talk to and have a boyfriend. I did find it was cute and wonderful that her best friend was her younger brother Christopher. I hope she realizes how lucky she is to have such a close relationship with her sibling and does not lose it.

She meets her Made coach and as her first assignment her coach goes to Sam's bedroom and locks up all of Sam's basketball shorts in a locked duffel bag. Her coach lays out an outfit for Sam to wear the next day at school. Jeans, pink flip flops and a nice top. Sam has a fit. I think that she has issues with how her body looks especially her breasts. She does not look comfortable at all with her feminine self. Also from now on she is to call herself Samantha not Sam. Of course Sam refuses to do the first assignment and gets caught the next day at school by her coach. Her coach makes her change into green capris and pink top in the girls locker room.

Another note, Samantha has a little bit of an acne problem, in this day and age this is ridiculous there are tons of products on the shelves that really help with the little zits. Anything with glycolic acid or salidic (sp?) acid works wonders and is not that expensive. Also Proactiv is great and I highly recommend it. It just drives me bonkers when I see kids that have horrific acne that can scar them for life and they are products that truly do help in the drugstores and grocery stores and parents are too lazy or cheap to help their kids.

Back to Sam. Sam is introduced to the Duchess, an instructor of etiquette. Sam eats like a pig so this was necessary. She has lessons for the entire 6 weeks although we only see this scene and her graduation test at a restaurant.

Sam's coach takes her shopping for shoes and dresses. It does not go well, and Sam is rebelling. Sam's coach also mentions that she does not feel that Sam is taking any of this to heart and only giving it a surface try. Later Sam tells her parents that she hates her Made coach and that she wants to quit. I have to give her parents a lot of credit that they backed each other up and said that this was not going to be easy and that she should not quit. Go mom and dad.

On another assignment Sam shows up as school in a skirt and the girls flock all over her, but during lunch her brother Chris joins the group then is abandoned by them. Not a good thing to dis your best friend.

Sam is told to go hang out with a group of girls she admires. That worked out well. Cliques can be tight but they talked to her. Another assignment involves talking to guys and finding out what they like in a girl. She ends up meeting Hockey Eric and really likes him and later he asks her out to the prom. Also later she meets Hot Eric and goes on her first date with him. They went to play mini golf. It is sweet listening to her describe how her stomach flutters when she is near him and that she loves it when he hugs her. Unfortunately she now has a dilemma as she wants to go to the prom with Hot Eric. She ends ups asking Hot Eric and he says yes. Later she has to call Hockey Eric and down him down. She calls her Made coach and tells her what happened and the coach tells her and asks for her advice. The coach tells her to write Hockey Eric a letter explaining what her feelings were is a better manner.

Sam goes to the prom with Hot Eric and has a great time.

MTV also has a segment called 'Life After Made' on its website. First if you go to www.mtv.com all you find is a short synopsis of the show. They also redesigned the site again and it sucks trying to find anything. After I googled I found the correct site at www.mtv.com/onair/dyn/made/series.jhtml. Still it did not go into details about how her life was different after doing Made which was very disappointing.

I did not like the fact that Sam rescinded on Hockey Eric, I thought that was tacky and hurtful. And that "new" group of girlfriends? I think they just wanted to be on camera.
    ]

I too did not like the way she dumped Hockey Eric, poor taste.

Amanda Barnes 7/13 episode

Amanda Barnes aka Barnesy is a girly girl the queen of the popular girls and she wants to be MADE into an extreme snowboarder.

When we first meet Barnesy we see her at high school, she reminds me of a young Barbra Striesand in the face, nose and the way she wears her hair. Not the prettish of girls, but she has a lively personality, is the leader of her group as far as planning all the socail activities, the crew seems helpless without her. Rather sad, as far as the other girls are concerned.

Her father is the Basketball coach and seems rather critical of her as far as her accomplishments, and thinks all she can do is shop, although he does admit that she is very skilled at being social, but that seems to come easy for her and he does not want her to rely on only that skill in life. He indicates that not all things are that easy in life and she needs to learn how to work through a situation like that. Typical father as far as being critical and not encouraging and seems to have problems communitcating with his kids.

It seems as if Barnesy's motivation is to have closer relationship with her father and have something to talk about and that would be sports.

We meet Barnesy's MADE coach an Australian snowboarder, 19 yr old, named Dingo. I don't think Dingo is too impressed with Amanda, thinks she is too prissy. Amanda, lives in Nevada and will be driving up to the Lake Tahoe area during the weekends to snowboard and will be participating in a contest at the end of the trianing.

This show was filmed during March and April of this year, it was kinda neat to see how recent this episode was. What I also liked about this show was Amanda, she did the work and did not whine and grumble about how hard it was like the typical Made kid does. She wanted to do this and she did it, I was quite proud of her.

Anyway, while she was up at the Heavenly ski resort to train with her coach , she also worked out with Dingo's snowboard buddies, called the GNERDS. All had a very disparaging attitude about her ability to succeed. Amanda was able to get up and snowboard and make turns and stop during the weekend. That week Dingo had dinner with Amanda's family, and gave her a snowboard, a box and instructions to dry land workouts for 2 hours a day every day. Amanda was surprised how well Dingo got along with her Dad, but her Dad still seemed very skeptical that she could achieve this. Still there were some poignant moments of Amanda practicing on her box durig the rain and putting up with her father's comments. The fallout started to happen when her posse was upset with her for not being there to party with them. During spring break the GNERDs kidnapped her and she spent the entire time snowboard and practicing on the box. She did take a couple of nasty falls, and sprained her elbow pretty well. At one point she took a header and upper body slam into the box and thank goodness she was wearing a helmet, cause I think she would have been seriously hurt.

Some highlights included her getting her butt pads, walking in high heels to the local taco stand and back in 15 minutes for the GNERDs and doing wind sprints in the parking garage and hauling up lugage up 4 flights and down again at the hotel for her initiation.

During the final competition, she had a huge box that was several times larger than she had practiced on to contend with and one of the jumps was a minivan. I don't know if it was nerves of the the flu or a combo of both, but Amanda ended throwing up all night and not getting any sleep and not being able to practice before the meet. After she finished throwing up again in front of Dingo and her Dad, he said she had to just suck it up and do, ( now I know he was concerned about her but to me he could have be a little more loving about it, to me it came across rather harsh). Amanda did not have a chance to do any practice or prerace runs and she decided to the the hardest first and her first run was the minivan. There was a good 8 ft drop on the other end and she did it. Her second run was on the box and again she did it. For her 3rd run Dingo wanted her to do a trick she had only practiced during her dry land workouts. He told her to commit and just do the motion like she did in practice. She got about 3/4 down and she fell. But both and Dad and Dingo and the GNERDS were proud of her cause she proved she could do it. Also Amanda said she was a lot closer to her Dad.

7/20/05 episode - Brian

Brian is nerdish. He is not totally a nerd as he has the lead in his school play, he is on the fencing team, does play dungeons and dragons, writes poetry and sketches some nice portraits. He is overweight, does not have a sense of style, and lacks confidence. Lacking confidence really effects how is comes across, his posture is poor, he runs like a penquin, (I guess you have to see it to get it). The crew did show a tape of him running and later on that week I was watching a trailer for the movie 'March of the Penguins' and I have to admit he does run like penguin.

Brian meets his Made coach, Tariq, who wrote a book on how to 'mack' women. Brian wants to be more of a ladies man, he wants a date for the prom. On their first assignment Tariq takes Brian to a local bookstore/music shop and tells him to go and talk to the ladies and then asks for some feed back from one of the girls Brian talked to. Hint: don't talk dungeons and dragons when first meeting girls.

Brian again is another kid who goes with the program and does not whine about what he is doing. Brian is so low key it is hard to connect with him at first and quite painful to watch him try to interact with girls. Later after a shopping trip to Las Vegas, to get contacts, new shoes and threads, and a haircut Brian's confidence is quite high and he holds himself up high and walks better. Everyone at school notices how good he looks. He even talks with more confidence and not in his usual monotone, his personality is emerging. One girl he really is interested in, Elizabeth, walks right by him and does not even notice the changes or him. Brian is crushed and my heart goes out to him. I see him as a genuinue human being who is hurt and not a playa who just wants to score.

He does not get too much sympathy from either Tariq or his trainer, both tell him it is hard to make friends and have relationships and even if the girl blows you down you have to get over it and go on. Then Brian picks himself up and tries again and lines up three dates, 2 with girls from school and 1 a blind date. Again, I think Brain is not as outgoing as he would like to be and his personality does not shine and it is hard to see the real him. I think that as he matures, and if he keeps to what he is doing he will develop into a keeper. He is just backward socially and is one of those people who will bloom later in life and not in high school, but that is alright, because he has developed other interests and strengths and now is developing socially, as opposed to the popular kids in high school who develop their social skills early but nothing else and during your 5 yr high school reunion they are divorced, with 2 kids, possibly on a second marriage, overweigh and developing an addiction to drugs, alcohol or nicotine.

At the end of 6 weeks of training, Brian has lost 22 lbs. You could see it in his face almost immediately. He went from 210 to 188. He is unfortunately a pear shaped guy and really carries it in his hips and butt. I hope he continues to loose another 20 lbs or so and build up his shoulders both to look better and attract the ladies. (Also noted during his initial fitness assessment, he had none and again I hope this training encourages him to get into a regular exercise program for his health.) His skin cleared up also with all the exercise again I highly recommend Proactiv or any product with salicylic acid. These products do work and in this day and age it is not that expensive to have good skin.

Anyway Brian asks out his blind date to the prom, and she is a cute girl. I have to admit that Brian looked hot in his tux. Brian thanks Tariq for all his help and I think there are things we don't see as far as the advice Tariq has given.

At this point my tape ran out but with a minute or so to go I have a feeling Brian had a great time at the prom.

PS: I just checked out the Life after Made segment on MTV.com and I was impressed. Last weeks segment really didn't given any new info but here there is a nice 2 part interview with Brian and you also see his before picture and wow is there a difference in his face. I didn't realize how big a difference 22 lbs could make. Brian says that he will keep up on the diet and trianing, he had also kept up with the hair and clothes and his confidence is high and he presents himself much better in the interview. He is also persuing his relationship with Sara; his prom date. Heh, Made works; its the ripple effect.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-23-2005 at 08:02 AM.

FORT Newbie

Made DVD?

Will the earlier seasons of Made be on DVD? I missed the first few seasons, and I really want to see them.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    It's funny, most of these Made kids seem to be just looking to impress a boy/girl they like. I preffer the ones that have actual motivators that doesn't include scrubbing up to get a date....
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by bbubba
    Will the earlier seasons of Made be on DVD? I missed the first few seasons, and I really want to see them.
    Truly don't know I would check out the mtv web site even email them if they have a contact email.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee
    It's funny, most of these Made kids seem to be just looking to impress a boy/girl they like. I preffer the ones that have actual motivators that doesn't include scrubbing up to get a date....
    I think alot of the Made people have lack of self confidence and lack of social skills and dating can be such a big deal if you don't know how to go about it. Although it may seem like a silly wish 'to get a date to the prom' these are life altering skills that these kids aquire.

+ Reply to Thread