+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewinsky Calls for Parent-Child Privilege

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Lewinsky Calls for Parent-Child Privilege

From the AP.
    Wasn't sure whether to stick this here because of the Monica connection or put in CE. Anyone feel free to move.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The federal government should guarantee parents protection against testifying against their own children, former White House intern and reality TV host Monica Lewinsky says.

In an opinion piece published in Sunday's Los Angeles Times, Lewinsky said it seemed appropriate on Mother's Day to urge Congress to establish a parent-child privilege.

``We have a husband-wife privilege, a doctor-patient privilege, an attorney-client privilege and even a privilege between priest and penitent,'' she wrote.

``Isn't the parent-child relationship every bit as important, if not more so?''

Lewinsky had a sexual relationship with President Clinton and discussed it in 1997 with her friend Linda Tripp, who secretly recorded the talks and handed the tapes over to investigators.

The tapes Tripp gave to then-Independent Counsel Ken Starr led to the perjury and obstruction of justice investigation of Clinton, his impeachment in the House and a Senate trial that acquitted him.

Lewinsky, who now hosts Fox's reality dating show ``Mr. Personality,'' recalled the devastation she felt when her own mother was subpoenaed to testify in the Starr investigation.

``I was horrified and sickened,'' Lewinsky wrote. ``Not unlike many young women, I had confided in my mom - to a certain extent - and expected our conversations to remain between us.''
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Uhm. No. Especially in the case of adults.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

LG.
    I dunno, I can see it somewhat. As a parent, if my daughter were in trouble and needed help, I would want to be able to get all the information without fear that the more information I got, the worse off she'd be. Of course I could claim attorney-client privilege.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I can see your point LG in the case of minors... as opposed to miners. You would know far better than I, but aren't kids already protected somewhat in that instance?

I think Monica is looking for a law that allows a 21 year old to confess all manner of crimes to Mom and Dad. I guess I can see some advantages there. But overall... I don't know.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

LG.
    I dunno, maybe it's a mom thing, but even if she were 21 (she's not, she's 2 1/2), I'd want my daughter to be able to tell me everything. I read somewhere last week that people aren't mentally adults until they are 26 or something crazy like that. Those parental instincts are strong.

The legal question is, who's privilege is it to waive? I would guess it would be up to the child, which may bind the parents to silence moreso than they deem is in the best interest of their (adult) child.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    Of course I could claim attorney-client privilege.
    It should stay at this level. Increasing the scope to include a non-professionally responsible class (i.e., parents) would lead to slippery slope problems as well as unmonitored accountability. Furthermore, conflict of interest is too great.

LG.
    true Deep Dish, a responsible lawyer-parent would get their kid an independent lawyer and pronto.

FORT Fogey

Love that lawyerly talk, DD

DD writes:
    It should stay at this level. Increasing the scope to include a non-professionally responsible class (i.e., parents) would lead to slippery slope problems as well as unmonitored accountability. Furthermore, conflict of interest is too great.
    Why is Monica (the worst TV host ever, btw except for Alex what's-her-face), bringing this up now? She wasn't even a minor.

Did her mother actually have to testify? I thought Linda Tripp had already done the irrevocable damage with her testimony.

If Monica hadn't had such a big mouth *smirk* then none of this would have happened. Or would it?

FORT Fogey

Re: Love that lawyerly talk, DD

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    Why is Monica...bringing this up now?
    Here's my theory. If you go back to the above article, you'll find this statement from her:

We have a husband-wife privilege, a doctor-patient privilege, an attorney-client privilege and even a privilege between priest and penitent.

"Penitent" sorta means "on your knees," right? Maybe she thought this applied to her?

FORT Fogey

Re: Re: Love that lawyerly talk, DD

Originally posted by Deep Dish
    Here's my theory. If you go back to the above article, you'll find this statement from her:

We have a husband-wife privilege, a doctor-patient privilege, an attorney-client privilege and even a privilege between priest and penitent.

"Penitent" sorta means "on your knees," right? Maybe she thought this applied to her?
    That is an extremely well thought-out response and not without humor and a certain "quelque chose."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast