+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what happens if she finds him unattractive?

JR.
    Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    I think she sounds rather open to dating a less attractive guy based on his personality in her confessionals.
    I've heard lots of women say that...as they're dating the GQ models.

Hey, maybe she'll fall in love with a particular mask color. That would be pretty poignant when the mask gets thrown away.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

lol_its_fun
    So what happens if she finds him unattractive?

Ans: Dump him after the show.

Hm, what makes this show different from every other dating show then? I'm confused.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey

Truer words were hardly ever spoken

Paulie said it
    It's sad that appearance is a factor at all, but it really is.
    ...and I couldn't agree more. That's why the premise of this show is totally bogus.

Hayley seemed taken aback when some of the less the average looking guys took off their masks, it was so apparent. Then, when she saw the trainer's face she mentioned how good looking she thought he was. So there goes the whole "personality" thing out the window!

FORT Newbie
    I agree with you. If you can't stand to look at him, how is a relationship going to survive. You have to like their looks. That's why we aren't attracted to everyone. Some men we like to keep as "just friends." Hayley is pretty & deserves someone good-looking & probably will not accept less. Did you ever notice that people of similar good looks seem to pair up??

I find the concept of choosing someone based on looks appalling. I've met more than one man whose looks did not initially "grab" me, but as I got to know them, they became extremely attractive to me.

In my past relationships, the man most physically attractive (at least by society's standards) ended up being the biggest jerk of them all! Attraction IS important, but I don't think it has to be (or should be) based on looks.

In the end, we're ALL going to lose our looks, such as they may be. Call me crazy, but I'd rather base my lasting relationship on intelligence, personality and values.

FORT Newbie
    Originally posted by GrammarGoddess
    Call me crazy, but I'd rather base my lasting relationship on intelligence, personality and values. [/B]
    And, what happens if you do not find him attractive? How long do you suppose your relationship will last if you are not truly satisfied with every aspect of him? (Back to the original question of this thread.) Or, maybe looks do not matter to you. Can you honestly say that though? I don't need a gorgeous stud (nor would I want one) but I do need to be able to look at him with the light on.

I have many male friends with intelligence, personality & values who I am not attracted to. Luckily My husband has all that & more (& he is attractive to me.)

Not only if she doesn't find him attractive, but let's take it a step further and assume she finds him unattractive. Then we've got a big problem, because that's something you probably won't change your perception on.

I guess if you want to know the truth, Dina, I believe society has idealized relationships/marriage, etc. There is no being satisfied with EVERY aspect of someone. You either decide to live with and appreciate differences (flaws, if you will) or you go in search of the ever-illusive perfect person. Every person you meet in your lifetime will have at least one trait that drives you nutz, whether a big major thing, or something small, like not hanging the toilet paper the right way.

We are all in control of our own destiny. We get to decide what is important in a relationship and for me, looks just aren't it. A leopard won't change his spots--if someone has an ugly heart, good looks aren't going to change that. You mentioned that perhaps looks aren't important to me and no, they aren't. I'd rather develop an attraction based on significant personality traits. I DO believe that you can become completely enamored with someone who did not physically appeal to you at first, but, after getting to know that person well, appealed to the WHOLE of you (and you to them).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast