+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris - #17 w/ Dark Green Mask

Re: chris was on frasier

Originally posted by shrepa
    I mean, would anyone really act THAT creepy on his own? Never know I guess...
    well, there was Russ on the Bachlorette. He was pretty creepy all on his own.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I am tending to think that his mind control crap is mainly scripted. The producers had to do something to liven up the show. Hayley is waaaaaaaay too self centered and the guys all have issues. I think the producers were trying to go with average looking guys and ended up with throwbacks. None of them rings my chimes.

Hi shrepa, welcome to the site

Interesting news about Chris.
    I think the whole hypnosis issue is rubbish personally.
    It really sounds like something the producers would make up to try and inject a little scandal and intrigue into the show.

To me, many of the contestants appear to be acting, especially Hayleyt herself.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    He's cute and all but LORDY he gives me the shudders.

fluff, you may be right. It could be emphasized via the editing as well. I suspect though that Chris actually believes his own crap. Which is creepy.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fogey

I put a spell on you!

I agree with you, Bill. It is a combination of hype and Chris' own delusional mumbo jumbo.

Chris is creepy. He never refers to anything other than "his plan" for Hayley and how she is doing exactly as he intended. This guy is as unfeeling as they come, or at least he is portrayed that way.

I think both of them are playing a weird game. It's all the more noticeable because all the interesting men have gone -- from Brian who was too mouthy and indiscreet to Ted who was too stoned.

When Hayley chose Chris as her third "one on one" date (surprise surprise!) her coyness coupled with his smugness sent me running for the barf bag from my TAR collection.

LOL

TAR Barf Bags, autographed by Flo... now on eBay!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Regular
    When I met my husband, he was a licensed hypnotherapist as well as NLP Practitioner. The difference between Chris and my husband is that my husband was upfront about his interest in hypnosis and use of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) whereas Chris #17 has chosen to not reveal this to his intended. I presume to a LARGE extent that the producers have encouraged him to A) not tell Hayley B) to pose for "hypnosis study" sessions for them to tape - note they use the SAME shot over and over and over and interspersed as to make it appear he does it ALL day long and C)use this unusual interest to prod and freak out the other guys because, frankly, without Chris #17 the whole show would be BORING!

My husband says that Chris not being upfront with Hayley is likely unethical to one degree or another. HOWEVER, all techniques that are used in hypnosis or NLP are really things that most charismatic people use every day but are just unaware of WHAT they are doing. NLP just trains a person to be aware of these cues and use them to create rapport.

Personally, I LOVED the new dimensions NLP added into the relationship with my husband when we were dating. The feelings Hayley is having (the "wow" feeling) are all real, they aren't fake. It's really intense to have someone actually pay *attention* to your wants and needs and cues and respond to them in a meaningful way. I say "lucky Hayley". If she loved the rush of Chris #17- maybe ditch him at the end of the show and go date a guy who does NLP but is more upfront about it.

There is NOTHING wrong with a guy having more charisma than the next guy. I think the other guys on the show are 90% sour-grapes and only 10% or less concerned about *Hayley*. (If they were so concerned, they should just have told Hayley RIGHT AWAY - instead they're all covering their own rumps and not telling her anything lest they look like a looser themselves...)

Annika
    Last edited by Annika; 05-07-2003 at 07:02 PM.

FORT Fogey
    First of all, welcome to the FORT, Annika! I hope you enjoy the site as much as we do.

Your post is very interesting and I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Of course the whole thing is being "hyped" with that one shot of Chris lying on his bed with the big Hypnosis book prominently displayed while wearing a headset and reading his notes and planning his next moves on Hayley.

I find all the guys there to be as petty and shallow as the women on "The Bachelor." They lie on their beds discussing Chris and the others that Hayley went on single dates with and tear them apart. It's ludicrous how stupid this show is.

FORT Regular
    Thanks, CaliGirl. I'm a California transplant myself! (Raised in Minnesota.)

I think the guys on Mr. Personality have as a whole acted a LOT worse than guys on other reality dating shows (The Bachelorette, for example). My theory is that the physical masks really add a psychological pressure that the guys simply can't handle. I'd love to hear post-interviews on the guys' emotional experiences being all masked-up.

I think guys are used to using not just their bods and their brains to figure out pecking order (both with other men as well as competing for the scarcity of hot babes) but they are used to relying on their FACES. With the loss of their face, whether they are actually very cute or quite homely - it was *their* face, and most men by age 25+ have gotten comfortable about the way their face looks.

Take away their "faces" - and they loose their equillibrium - they just don't know their "standing" amoung the men. And I think it's bringing out particularily terrible behavior.

In The Bachelorette, for example, SOME of the guys got wasted drunk and were out of control, but it was only maybe 1 or 2 out of the bunch. On Mr Personality, MORE THAN HALF have completely lost it. I think it has to do with the mask...

Annika

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast