+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bearcata
  • 1 Post By SpringMaiden27

Thread: Star Trek Beyond

Star Trek Beyond

Star Trek Beyond
    PG-13 2016 ‧ Fantasy/Science fiction film ‧ 2h 2m

A surprise attack in outer space forces the Enterprise to crash-land on a mysterious world. The assault came from Krall (Idris Elba), a lizard-like dictator who derives his energy by sucking the life out of his victims. Krall needs an ancient and valuable artifact that's aboard the badly damaged starship. Left stranded in a rugged wilderness, Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto) and the rest of the crew must now battle a deadly alien race while trying to find a way off their hostile planet.

Release date: July 22, 2016 (USA)
    Director: Justin Lin
    Box office: 128.7 million USD
    Film series: Star Trek
    Screenplay: Simon Pegg, Doug Jung

per Google:

The third movie in the reboot franchise.....Celebrating 50 years of Star Trek.....RIP Leonard Nimoy....RIP AntonYelchin.

I liked the first two thirds but didn't enjoy the last third as I kinda had figured out the plot and who the bad guy was so there was no really big surprise or reveal for me. For such a big build up I felt that the resolution was a bit of a slap in the face of veterans and other folks who suffer from PTSD. I liked the style and feel of the film and thought it was much better than the second film but it for me it was a bit of a disappointment. It needed a better script.

Liked the Sofia Boutella character and her traps.
    beerbelly likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Re: Star Trek Beyond

I haven't seen any of the original Star Trek TV series yet but I do love the new ST reboot movies, and I love STBeyond, it's my second favourite movie from the reboot after the first movie.

I'm disappointed that STBeyond under-performed at the box office, I think it's better than the second movie STID, I hope it will make some good extra profit from its home video sales.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

I agree. It reminded me of 'Galaxy Quest' more than anything. To me, no one was very likeable except the Sofia character and her great make-up. So I ended up watching Galaxy Quest again which was much, much better.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Sofia's character was rather unimpressive to me, sure she looked cool and acted cool, but she wasn't a necessary character, much like Carol was in the second movie, I feel like she was put in the movie mainly as eye candy, like Carol was. But with that said, she was by no means "useless" either, she did help the main characters rescue the rest of the crew and escape the planet after all, so she wasn't entirely "useless". But she wasn't really a necessary character either.

And as a fan of these ST reboot movies, I find most of the other characters much more likable than Jaylah, mainly because I have spent the last 8 years or so becoming attached to these ST characters and I love them all. Whereas Jaylah is just a new character who probably would not return in any future movies (like Carol), she is most likely just a one-time character, and it's easier for me to forget about one-time characters or not care about them at all, as I do with Carol.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

FORT Fogey

Finally saw this movie over the weekend. I loved it! Yes, I could see the plot simply unfolding, but not all movies need huge plot twists. Liked seeing more teamwork among the core characters. Anytime Idris Elba is on my screen itís all good, too 😁
    libgirl2 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread