+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Spotlight

Spotlight

OMG, I actually came out of the movie filled with so much emotion and basically in tears.

That was my Boston and I grew up there and I am Irish Catholic and went to all Catholic schools.

My family is all over Boston, Southie and the Burbs and Worcester.

And my sons as well. They went to all Catholic through College. They were altar servers.

Every single street, avenue, highway in that movie I have been on millions of times.

How absolutely DISGUSTING. These Priests. And the Church kicking it all to the curb BECAUSE they ARE the Catholic Church.

Are.you.kidding.me.

I grew up respecting all our Parish Priests as though they were GOD himself here on Earth.

I read The Boston Globe every single day. Sometimes the Herald but mostly the Globe.

I remember in 2002 when this hit The Globe.

But we did not realize what a horrible situation this all was UNTIL The Globe came out with it.

Spotlight is:
    The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

Spotlight is a 'section' of The Boston Globe where a small group of journalists write articles which are investigative in nature and may take up to a year to publish.

The story behind the 'Spotlight' movie - The Boston Globe
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: Spotlight

It was very well done. I left feeling very angry. These priests are still shuffled around to smaller communities.. smh.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think and hope Pope Francis will root all most of this out and end it. The cover up and moving pedophiles to new posts at least. You can't prejudge postulates to the priesthood to determine who may become pedophiles. But you can turn them into law enforcement if the climate is changed in the church to recognize that priests can be criminals deserving of punishment. Too many of these cases were dealt with with the goal of protecting the church's coffers from lawsuits.
    momrek06 likes this.
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

FORT Fogey

One of the things I really appreciated about the movie was the way it illustrated that all of the overlooking wasn't as deliberate as protecting the church, though that was certainly a huge part of it. There was also the subplot of the story being ignored by the paper because the powers that be just weren't prepared to believe an institution they were a part of would do such a thing. I think that's normal human behavior. It took an outsider coming in and willing to take a hard look which I think is fairly common.
    Punkin and momrek06 like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

The children are now adults, their lives are truly messed up.I think this problem is one of such large magnitude, that it will very hard to uncover, that which has been covered so well

This is just my feelings..
    momrek06 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

For those with Netflix who want to see it again, it is streaming.

Surprised me because it is too new to be streaming, but there it was on the list.
    Punkin, momrek06 and Stargazer161 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I watched it on Netflix recently..and agree with you ladies..it was mind blowing!
    Nature always wears the colors of the spirit--Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wish I liked this movie more, and I don't know why it didn't resonate. Not enough personal stories? Covering too much material in too short a film? Pacing? Or maybe I was just comparing it to All the President's Men, which was a masterpiece with a similar kind of story arc. In any case, the documentary about priest abuse, Mea Maxima Culpa is far more insightful and emotionally stirring. Maybe if I watch this one again I'll have a different reaction.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." — George Orwell

I re-watched today on Netflix and loved it! Again!
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

I finally saw this yesterday....it was well done....however, Mark Rufflo's character annoyed me....and i usually really like him!

So none of this surprised me....reason being....my mom used to be a nun....she said even she knew that was going on....once found out, they moved them.....and some interesting things happen with nuns too....from what she has told me

i looked at the end, the list of the city where she was a nun was on it.....i figured.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast