+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Insurgent - Part 2 of the Divergent Series

Insurgent - Part 2 of the Divergent Series

Not quite as fresh and new and unexpected as the first movie because we are now familiar with the world. I was sort of expecting the typical run from the authorities, find allies and build your army type film which in one sense it was, however there is this twist in the plot that opens lots of possibilities for the third movie. The effects where spectacular. Enjoyable film, OK for young teens, adults will enjoy, good for moms & daughters or dads & daughters. No blood and guts gore fests, no bad language, no nudity although some it is implied, one mild sex scene. Critics don't like it but the audience does.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Insurgent - Part 2 of the Divergent Series

I saw it today and if I look at is separate from the book I like it. However, I love the book and for me the adaption was quite a let down.
    FireWoman likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I heard that the movie departed from the book (I haven't read the book) but when I read a spoilers what is different in the movie from the book it really didn't seem that big a deal ... was it?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I saw Insurgent the first day it came to theaters in my area. I thought it was ok but truthfully, not as good as Divergent. In fact, I noticed that at the end, no one in the audience stood up and clapped, like they did at the end of Divergent, so it wasn't just me. It's been such a while since I read the book that I don't remember what they changed. I vaguely remember Four's mother doing something in the book that was a major betrayal and didn't see that in the movie and I don't remember the book addressing what happens outside the fence, which I've always wondered about.

I haven't even read the third book so I don't know what happens next. Presumably it explores life outside the fence, since that's where the second movie left off. It's about time!

I'm glad Eric got killed. That jerk deserved it.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 6
    Upcoming Pools: So You Think You Can Dance 12 (June 1), Big Brother 17 (June 24), Face Off 9 (July 28), America's Got Talent 10
    Pool Participants: Get your reality show report card here!
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

BTW, I only recently saw The Fault in Our Stars and I hadn't realized her love interest in that had been her brother in Divergent! How weird is that to go from playing a guy's sister in one movie to having a hot love affair with him in another movie?
    Current Pools: Masterchef 6
    Upcoming Pools: So You Think You Can Dance 12 (June 1), Big Brother 17 (June 24), Face Off 9 (July 28), America's Got Talent 10
    Pool Participants: Get your reality show report card here!
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I heard that the movie departed from the book (I haven't read the book) but when I read a spoilers what is different in the movie from the book it really didn't seem that big a deal ... was it?
    As a die hard fan of the books.. to me it was. And I AM realistic.. I know that it can't be exactly like the books most of the time for the simple reason that you can't fit all the content in. However in this case, they don't have enough actual content to make 4 movies IMO.

Some of my biggest upsets were:

Evelyn's dislike, jealousy, and mistrust of Tris and her Manipulation of Four is not really shown.
    Tori kills Jeanine, not Evelyn.
    Uriah's character is never developed (Or his brother Zeke) and Uriah is 1/3 of book 3.
    The reemergence of Dauntless is never shown (revolves around Eric's killing)
    Cara is never shown or mentioned (Will's sister). Again a big part of the plot of book 3 with Johanna (who I may add, on a personal level, was so downplayed for having an Oscar Award winning actress like Ms. Spencer playing her. The same with Daniel Dae Kim, I had much higher hopes for the both of them)
    Only a hand full of people go beyond the fence, not everyone.. sigh. that one irked me to no end.

Some smaller things that as a fan/reader of the books didn't sit well with me:
    Johanna's relationship with Marcus is also not shown.
    Tris is more of an actual bad a$$ in book 2 (by the time book 3 got moving, I really became unsympathetic to her, maybe that is some of the reason for the changes made?? I was all about Four). Little of that is really shown
    The whole mystery box plot line is so lame.. it was a freaking hard drive. The scenes with Tris in the movie worked in that respect but it wasn't about that. The whole plot in the book was they all knew what it said, Jeanine only wanted to keep her hold on their little world. Also the fact the woman in the message, her name was never mentioned.. Edith Pryor.
    There was NO sex in book 2, none at all. None is even eluded to.
    I would have loved to see the scene with Tris and the calming serum, that's just a personal point I laughed my behind off when I read it.. but in truth I can see how it didn't fit in this vision. It was still good.

I can rant on more, but I feel there are going to be more changes to book 3 that will not just be a depart of the book, but a whole new story because of how this movie played out. Will I see it, yeah... I love Theo James... but I will have to take it as it's own as it is no longer Roth's story. Allegiant is my least liked of the series and Insurgent is my fave... maybe that is why I am so unhappy about all the changes.
    Last edited by FireWoman; 03-27-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    JLuvs and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Seriously, you live in my mind FireWoman! You named almost all the things that irked me. Uriah is actually my favorite character in the books and he and his brother barely exist in the movies. Minimizing Marcus in this movie and his interactions with Tris frustrated me. Lots of things, both little and big could have been fixed.
    FireWoman likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Like I said JLuvs, I have more but the ones I mentioned directly relate to the 3rd book.

Yes, I love Uriah too I in fact enjoyed his relationship with Tris more than her relationship with Four, frankly I thought Four was too good for her. lol.

Have you read the 5 Four stories? I would have liked them to put them in the movies.. granted not an easy task but they had SO much insight to this world. Maybe in the next 2???

Don't get me wrong I am happy that people who have not read the books are in to the movies, but it really does distract from what Roth gave us an an author. Shes rather good if you can get past her over use of the word usurper.
    JLuvs likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    BTW, I only recently saw The Fault in Our Stars and I hadn't realized her love interest in that had been her brother in Divergent! How weird is that to go from playing a guy's sister in one movie to having a hot love affair with him in another movie?
    In another movie her love interest is the actor who plays Peter (Miles Teller) whereas in these movies he is, at best, a reluctant helper and, at worst, her enemy.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    Like I said JLuvs, I have more but the ones I mentioned directly relate to the 3rd book.

Yes, I love Uriah too I in fact enjoyed his relationship with Tris more than her relationship with Four, frankly I thought Four was too good for her. lol.

Have you read the 5 Four stories? I would have liked them to put them in the movies.. granted not an easy task but they had SO much insight to this world. Maybe in the next 2???

Don't get me wrong I am happy that people who have not read the books are in to the movies, but it really does distract from what Roth gave us an an author. Shes rather good if you can get past her over use of the word usurper.
    I have read all of the Four Stories and I think including his perspective being added it would certainly make it more interesting. I am with you on the whole Uriah and Four thing. To me, both Uriah and Zeke are such necessary characters from the book - the way they've been minimized in the movies infuriates me.

I went to see the movie with people who hadn't read the books and the loved it. It was hard for them to get my dissatisfaction.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast