+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Sniper

American Sniper

I am surprised no one has posted a separate thread for this film.

I was looking forward to seeing this film as I like Bradley Cooper and he has acting chops and would do justice to the role. I had also watch the reality tv show Stars Earn Stripes which Chris Kyle had participated in. I knew who he was and watched him and was sad when I had heard he had been killed. I was very predisposed to really like this film. Unfortunately I thought the film was a bit boring. I really hated that for the first part of the film when Chris was meeting his wife in the bar he was mumbling so much I could not understand a single word he said. I could understand what the actress playing his wife said but not him. It was also a bit off putting when Chris was helping the other American troops go house to house searching for insurgents they made the huge implication that American troops are not properly trained and that only the SEALS had the proper training to go house to house. While I do think that many of the military reserve groups didn't have enough training or proper equipment and that has been well documented, I also think that the regular army and Marines troops are prepared for this type of warfare and it is kinda insulting to say they were not capable of doing the job. I do applaud that this was a film that needed to be made about a very messy war and consequences of that war I don't think the director delved deeply enough into PTSD and the vicious atrocities that are still happening in the area.

This is my opinion about the film. I throughly support all the troops and what they do to safe guard this country and its citizens. I just think this could have been a better movie. Afterwards I found out that Clint Eastwood directed the film and that explains a lot about the pacing and lack of introspection.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: American Sniper

Your post is interesting. I wanted to see more input on this movie as well. I like Eastwood, but the movies he directs can go either way for me.

It's interesting your point about the movie addressing PTSD. Did Kyle have that disorder? I don't know much about him or this movie. I know that I always wondered why Kyle and his friend took the PTSD patient with them to a firing range. I never did any answer to that. Does the movie offer any explanation or do they not even go there?

FORT Fogey

Yes Deb, the movie does explain why they went to the shooting range. After Kyle returned from his final tour, he struggled to adjust to life at home. Most of his struggles came from the concern that men were still over there and he was at home not doing anything to help them. The movie portrayed it as he was receiving counseling at the VA, and his counselor thought there was an opportunity for him to connect with other soldiers who were back home. So he started attending support groups and spending time with vets who lost limbs, were suffering from PTSD, etc. It was a way for him to make the adjustment to a life out of combat. Bearcata, I agree with a lot of what you said about the movie. I enjoyed it, and I thought it did a nice job of portraying the pull between home life and military life. But after seeing it, I was disappointed to learn how much had been fictionalized for the movie. I think Eastwood had a choice -- either tell Kyle's story, or tell a fictional story about combat in Iraq, similar to what The Hurt Locker did. Either one could have been a great film. But when they took a real story and fictionalized so much, I think it took away from the point they were trying to make.

The scenes with "real" vets who had lost limbs at the VA and later during the shooting scenes were perhaps the strongest, most emotionally powerful, most real in the film. It was also an interesting dichotomy to see Chris Kyle, this physically in shape specimen sitting in therapy sessions with physically out of shape and disabled men, however I still fell that Bradley Copper/Chris Kyle character was a black hole of no emotion, there was nothing there. Maybe that is the point but for me in the majority of the film BC/CK was a big blank of nothing.

I appreciate those observations, but do they offer any explanation as to why Kyle and his friend thought it was a good idea to take a person like their killer, to a shooting range? I guess it sounds like a very dangerous idea and I wonder where it came from.

FORT Fogey

It was something that he had done with many other vets too. I think it is logical to reason that vets who have a lot of experience with shooting would find shooting at a range to be an enjoyable activity, just as many other men and women do. When you consider how many men and women walk in and out of gun ranges on a daily basis and don't die (myself included) I don't see anything suspect about the three of them going there. Sure, with hindsight it's easy to say that had they not been around guns that day they would not have died. But taking the hindsight away, I don't see the issue.

I haven't seen the movie, so perhaps I'm not equipped with enough information, but during my life, I've never heard of any recommendation that a person who is actively suffering from mental illness, especially schizophrenia, be around firearms. It's one of the main goals for family members to help those with illness is to protect them from access to a firearm. Perhaps they didn't realize the extent of his issues. It's such a sad story. I feel for his family. I may see the movie, but it's so sad.....I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me.

Derek is the best!!! Fanny Mare's Avatar

We thought it was a good movie Debb. .I thought Bradley did an excellent job. I must say, I have never been to a movie theatre where it was so quiet
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Really. I guess many people feel like I do about the movie. It's so sad. I'm not sure. I guess I'll wait and see it On Demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I appreciate those observations, but do they offer any explanation as to why Kyle and his friend thought it was a good idea to take a person like their killer, to a shooting range? I guess it sounds like a very dangerous idea and I wonder where it came from.
    His mother knew that Chris had helped other vets with PTSD and she contacted him and asked him to help her son.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast