+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Awards Season 2015

Awards Season 2015

This is the place to talk about all the movie awards that are being handed out this spring - the Golden Globes (although they do TV too), the Oscars, the Independent Spirit Awards, the Producers Guilt of America Awards, etc.

The Golden Globes were last night and the deadline for Oscar ballots was January 8th.

The BAFTA nominations came out a few days ago. You can find the complete list here:
    2015 BAFTA Nominations, See The Complete List - CINEMABLEND
    IIRC, BBC American broadcasts the show, which is set for February 8th.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Re: Awards Season 2015

Moving the Demille award discussion over here, my defense of Jodie Foster's early work would be Taxi Driver. That wasn't a charming kid appearing in a movie. It was a serious, actor role, and it got the recognition she deserved for it. To me, that showed early on that she had acting chops, and not merely movie star chops. I'd totally agree that her recent work has been the same movie over and over, and has not tapped into her acting skills. Perhaps the reason they recognized her when they did was that they saw she was disappearing from movie relevance. But I'd give her credit for a much longer body of work because she did the serious work as a young performer, showed the charisma for fluff work, and then transitioned into serious acting and directing again as an adult.

Great idea, Critical!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Moving the Demille award discussion over here, my defense of Jodie Foster's early work would be Taxi Driver. That wasn't a charming kid appearing in a movie. It was a serious, actor role, and it got the recognition she deserved for it. To me, that showed early on that she had acting chops, and not merely movie star chops. I'd totally agree that her recent work has been the same movie over and over, and has not tapped into her acting skills. Perhaps the reason they recognized her when they did was that they saw she was disappearing from movie relevance. But I'd give her credit for a much longer body of work because she did the serious work as a young performer, showed the charisma for fluff work, and then transitioned into serious acting and directing again as an adult.
    And Brooke Shields was in Pretty Baby and Rick Schroeder was in The Champ. I chalk all of those performances - including Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver - up to childhood precociousness, not great acting ability.

Giving her that award last year felt like a publicity stunt to give her a platform to officially come out. Yes, she's done some good work, but not any of it lately. She's been largely absent from the business as an actress - save her periodic and incredibly one-note action movies - in the last decade. Really, aside from some TV directing (or, Netflix, as it were) she hasn't done much feature film work as a director in the last ten years either. Heck, before The Beaver a few years ago (and, really, did ANYONE see that one?), she hadn't directed anything since Home for the Holidays in 1995. I love that movie, but it was never going to win any awards. For me, giving her the DeMille award was sort of out of left field. I like her, but I was still surprised.

Again though, like I said, it's the Hollywood Foreign Press, not some revered and respected organization. Take it with a grain of salt. The best thing about any show or movie I like getting a GG award is that it might cause a project to get more attention from the public; I don't ever expect it to garner more awards for that project.

I'm going to spend the time between now and the Oscars seeing as many nominated films and performances as I can. The Oscar nominations will be announced this coming Thursday!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I would agree with you that when a child is recognized for a great performance, it does not mean that the child will grow up to be a great actor. I'd add Lindsay Lohan and Tatum O'Neal to your list. What I think separates Jodie Foster from that group is that she had Taxi Driver as a child, and she had performances like The Accused, Nell, and Little Man Tate as an adult. She's certainly had some duds too (just like Clooney had Batman, Beatty had Ishtar, and Nicholson and Freeman had The Bucket List). And in recent years, I totally agree that she's gotten lazy, and when she does take jobs, she phones it in. As I said, I think some of the reason they recognized her when they did was because they figured she was disappearing. Giving her a platform to come out likely played into it as well. But she is still someone who was recognized in her 50s after having great work that spanned several decades. I still maintain that Clooney's critically acclaimed nomination worthy work has spanned a single decade, and therefore in my book does not merit a lifetime achievement. Like Foster was likely given a platform to come out, I think Clooney was given a platform to celebrate his marriage. I don't think he's done enough to warrant being recognized as one of the greats.
    beerbelly likes this.

Punkin

I couldn't disagree with you more about Clooney's talent as an actor. But then, I have no bias against him as a person that might color my perception.

FORT Fogey

What two roles with Clooney would you put forward to say "these are two completely different characters, and I forgot that George Clooney was the one playing either one? In my book, to be an outstanding actor, an audience should be able to do that. For example, if you compare the character Russel Crow played in The Insider to the character he played in The Boxer there is not much that is similar. They look different, talk different, have differert mannerisms, etc. I can't come up with a Clooney character where he doesn't talk like Dr Doug Ross, tilt his head when saying something important, and doesn't share mannerisms with Doug Ross. He's an incredibly charismatic movie star. But I think that his range as an actor is very limited.

Punkin

Too easy! The Perfect Storm, Oh, Brother Where art Thou?, Burn After Reading, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Syriana, The Descendants, Michael Clayton, Monuments Men. I LOVE every one of those movies and have watched most of them several times!

Granted, I'm not answering the question you posed. I'm obviously not as discerning a critic as you are. I just love his movies! All of the celebrity gossip I pick up is picked up right here at The Fort, so if he has character flaws I just don't know about them. My opinion of him as an actor isn't colored by celebrity gossip, but by his body of work and his politics (which you'll admit are closer to mine than yours). And by his well known philanthropy. And, hey, it's not the Oscars here, but the Golden Globes. I'm not an awards expert by any means, and hadn't a clue who ran this award program had not Critical educated me here in this thread. I will happily grant you an expertise in critical assessment over my 'fandom', but I love my George and the years of entertainment he's provided me and you can't take that away from me. Not that you are trying. :>)
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think we're actually in agreement here. What I take from what you've said is that when George Clooney makes a movie, you love it. I used to feel that way about him, and I totally get it. He is undoubtedly a movie star, and I think what you've described is that movie star status. When Tina Fey makes a movie, I know what to expect and I know I'll love it. She's not an outstanding actor, but she's a consistent performer, and I enjoy her. I'd say the same for George on a bigger level. Movie STAR, but not a great actor.
    Punkin likes this.

RE the DeMille award, like with Foster, I saw giving it to Clooney was more of a publicity push, since he got married and they knew he would bring Amal. I am a Clooney fan, but I'm sure they could have found an older, more seasoned actor to tribute.
    The main reason I watch these is just to see the celebs. I rarely have seen any of the movies (besides the animated ones lol) My "super bowl" is the Grammys, that's in Feb.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast