+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Surprisingly pleasant reboot of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The special effects were wonderful as was the character designs for Splinter and the boys. Splinter was amazing and the martial artists took into account that he had a wonderfully long tail and it was amazing to watch Master Splinter use it in a fight. I was also impressed with the development of the boys personalities. Leonardo and Raphael always stood out for me as the characters were based on the logical quiet thinker leader type similar to Scott Summers of Xmen and Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four versus Raphael who was based more on Wolverine. Raphael did seem a bit one note in this film but does redeem himself in the end. I don't remember Leonardo and Raphael physically butting heads as much as they did in this film but is was a fun aspect to watch. What I really liked is that the character of Michelangelo and Donatello were much more distinct and broader and deeper than in previous films. I luv'ed how the character designers really threw themselves into the costume design for each of the boys. I also like that the writers kept the teenage quality of the boys it made the movie a lot of fun. Megan Fox also did a decent job as April ONeil and carries much of the movie for the first half of the film. I guess Ms.Fox and Executive Producer Michael Bay made up. What was a bit creepy was April's cameraman, played by 44 yr old Will Arnett. His character Vern kept hitting on April/Megan, who is 28 but came across as she was playing a younger character so it seemed as if this guy who was old enough to be her dad kept trying to start a more physical relationship and I am sorry there was no chemistry there and it was creepy.

If you go to this film knowing that it is based on a comic book and the plot was very transparent you will enjoy it for what it is; it's a fun time and a revisit to a wonderful franchise that is most enjoyable when you watch the brothers interact with each other, with their father/sensei Splinter, with April and fighting the Foot.

PS: So glad Michael Bay did not change the origin story of the turtles to being aliens as he originally planned. He was dismissive of the fans but hey the fans are the ones that go and watch and pay for the film so you have to respect them a bit as they made you rich. If they had stuck to that plan I probably would not have bothered to go see it. What is the point of buying the copyright to a story and changing all out of proportional so the fans don't even recognize it and the writers totally go against the how the characters are in the book? cough ... cough ... Hallmark destroying Julie Garwood's For the Roses which they turned to true drivel call Rose Hill (1997).
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

TMNT is considered a summer hit. Yeah!
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread