+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hercules

Hercules

Wow, totally surprised, luv'ed this movie. Yes, I went to see it because Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was playing Hercules but I wasn't expecting too much. This is one of the best sword and sandal * films I have seen. It was fun, it was well acted, no one was slacking, it was cohesive, every one was giving it their all. It was a nice twist on the legend of Hercules and his 12 labors. I liked how it showed the "true" story vs the legend. Stay through the credits they are fun too as they show graphics that depict how the legends really occurred versus the stories. I also like it when they have a female warrior who looks as if she really is a female warrior and not a skinny stick.

The movie draws it's inspiration from Steve Moore and Cris Bolsinís graphic novel Hercules: The Thracian War.

* Sword-and-sandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sword-and-sandal, or peplum film (pepla plural) is a genre of largely Italian-made historical or biblical epics (costume dramas) that dominated the Italian film industry from 1958 to 1965, eventually being replaced in 1965 by the Spaghetti Western. The pepla attempted to emulate the big-budget Hollywood historical epics of the time, such as Spartacus, Samson and Delilah and The Ten Commandments.

The terms "peplum" (referring to the togas or robes which the ancient Romans wore) and "sword-and-sandal" were used in a condescending way by film critics. Italian director Vittorio Cottafavi called the genre "Neo-Mythology".[1]
    Last edited by Bearcata; 07-27-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Hercules

Saw this yesterday. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Very entertaining.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread