• 1 Post By Punkin
  • 1 Post By Eastcoastmom
  • 2 Post By momrek06

Thread: The Normal Heart on HBO

The Normal Heart on HBO

TONIGHT on HBO! 9PM!

The Normal Heart (TV Movie 2014) - IMDb

The Normal Heart (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After seeing a friend succumb to a new disease killing gay men at the offices of Dr. Emma Brookner (Julia Roberts), Ned Weeks (Mark Ruffalo) seeks to organize more action to combat it, even as his bluntness threatens to alienate people around him including his brother Ben (Alfred Molina), his lover Felix (Matt Bomer), and Bruce Niles (Taylor Kitsch), a closeted investment banker.
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Re: The Normal Heart on HBO

Already DVR'd! It's got a 93% Rotten Tomatoes favorable rating.

I remember very clearly the first time I read about the "gay disease". It was in my [/I]KQED Magazine[I] (San Francisco PBS Station). They didn't have a name for it yet because they had no idea what "it" was. They called it the "gay disease" because all of a sudden gay men were dying. It was just the beginning of a long nightmare epidemic.
    momrek06 likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Wow! So glad I tuned in. Never saw the play but this was very moving. I love Mark Ruffalo and he was also a co-executive producer. Jonathan Groff from Glee and other Broadway musicals had a very small part. Also BD Wong and Jim Parsons from Big Bang Theory. So touching, moving and the scene at the almost very end with Alfred Molina, Julia Roberts, Ruffalo and Matt Bomer (not familiar with him but he is very handsome), was so emotional. I cried throughout the movie.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

This almost made me wish I'd signed up for HBO, but I'm sure it will be available in other formats soon....

Netflix has carried HBO series in the past, I hope that continues as I would really like to see this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Mark Ruffalo Just an incredible performance.

The only flaw in the whole movie was Julia Roberts. Just too much "acting!" especially in her big scene ranting about not getting funding. It felt way too self-conscious to me, like she was working on her Emmy reel.

The rest of the cast was superb. So many actors I admire. Nice to see Stephen Spinella, if only for a few scenes. I loved him in Love! Valour! Compassion!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll watch it this morning with a box of Kleenex. This is one review: https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-...001313771.html

And Let the Emmys Roll In...
    Last edited by Punkin; 05-26-2014 at 10:43 AM.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Critical, the name Stephen Spinella doesn't ring a bell. Which role did he play in the film?

Punkin, thanks for the review. Yep, you'll definitely need that box of Kleenex.
    Last edited by Eastcoastmom; 05-26-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Critical, the name Stephen Spinella doesn't ring a bell. Which role did he play in the film?
    Eastcoastmom, Spinella played Sanford. Ned (MR) meets him in Dr. Emma's office very early in the movie. Then we see him again later on in the movie for a few moments.

OMG absolutely amazing. What a riveting movie. So powerful yet so so so so so sad.

Fabulous acting by all. It brought me to tears over and over again and esp when Felix died.

Tommy (JP) and all his Rolodex cards. How devastating.

All in all, a must see movie! I give it an A!
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread