+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Divergent

Divergent

Much better than I thought it would be. Rotten Tomatoes initially gave this movie a critics review of 38% which has risen to 40% and an audience critic of 81% which is bit lower now. Reading the description of the books and how the society was divided I thought that it would be boring but it is not. It came across more to me as a coming of age story to me as "Tris" had to decide at age 16 whether to stay in the faction she was born or choose the one she wanted to be in. It is a huge decision as you do it once and there is no going back home to mommy and daddy. The entire concept is "faction over blood". Since the movie is based on a YA (young adult) trilogy there is the mandatory love interest. Again I liked how it was handled in the movie. No googy eyed looks at each other and no long drawn out scenes where either of the couple is so consumed by not being able to be with the object of their affection that all they do is mope around being miserable and trying to make everyone in the universe miserable also. When I went to see the movie I was surprised to see a slightly older audience. I excepted lots of teens and it was mostly adults and some brought their young kids. While there is violence in the film it is not at all bloody and while folks are shot you don't really see any blood. The movie is rated PG-13 but it is not going to shock young kids.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Re: Divergent

Wow! I didn't know the reviews were so low. My teenage daughter has seen it twice, and had read the book first. Her and her best friend liked it a lot... though her best friend did mention there were a lot of good looking guys in it. lol. I'm sure that was a factor for my daughter as well, though she had mentioned the book before a few times.

I'm quite busy so I think I'll wait for this one to hit video.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Just to add to my earlier post. I asked my daughter about the low ratings and she said she thought it would be hard to understand if you haven't read the book. She said she'd advise anyone to read the book before going to see the movie. It's possible a portion of the low reviews are due to this, my daughter felt it was quite well done.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

FORT Newbie

I'm excited, my son and I both read the book and are going to see the movie tomorrow. I really liked the book, but enjoyed Hunger Games more. I really liked the Four character and will be interesting to see who is in the role. I already have a picture of what he "should" look like. I'll report back later to let you know if we enjoyed it.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I almost done reading all three books. Do they include all the books in the movie or just the first book? If just the first book, it would be hard for the audience to find closure.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I believe it is just the first book---they will want to milk it for a trilogy for the $$. And the first one ends with them in an OK position, so to speak, so there is some closure.

Speaking of closure, brace yourself for the book's ending. I'm not sure how they will handle that in the supposed trilogy.

A lot of the complaints are that it is too similar to The Hunger Games, and certainly there are some similarities. But really you should judge it on it's own.

FORT Newbie

I just received an email from our library that the 2 other books are on hold for us. I can't wait to read them. I did read some reviews on line about the ending of the final book and fans being disappointed or mad...it will be interesting to see how it does end and see if we feel the same way.

Happy Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I almost done reading all three books. Do they include all the books in the movie or just the first book? If just the first book, it would be hard for the audience to find closure.
    Since this is a trilogy there will be 3 films. There are no plans to split the last book into two films like they did in the Harry Potter and The Hunger Game franchises. While I am sure the producers wouldn't mind doing that this particular series may not warrant it. I think producers are simply happy to find the next successful YA (young adult) franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I believe it is just the first book---they will want to milk it for a trilogy for the $$. And the first one ends with them in an OK position, so to speak, so there is some closure.

Speaking of closure, brace yourself for the book's ending. I'm not sure how they will handle that in the supposed trilogy.

A lot of the complaints are that it is too similar to The Hunger Games, and certainly there are some similarities. But really you should judge it on it's own.
    This story can stand on its own it doesn't need any comparisons to THG.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Just to add to my earlier post. I asked my daughter about the low ratings and she said she thought it would be hard to understand if you haven't read the book. She said she'd advise anyone to read the book before going to see the movie. It's possible a portion of the low reviews are due to this, my daughter felt it was quite well done.
    I want to clarify a bit about the ratings. The critics gave it a low review, the audience liked it. There is around a 40% difference between the critics and the audience reviews. Not unusual, that's what happened with the Twilight series and other movies. This movie is waaaaaay better then Twilight. Just because a critic likes or dislikes a film doesn't mean it won't do well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast