+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Divergent

FORT Regular

Re: Divergent

Went and saw the movie last night. It was good, but I definitely enjoyed the book more. I like Four, but I'm not sure Shaliene Woodley was the best choice for the lead. JMO of course. I think they ended it well for those that didn't read the book, or for those who won't want to watch the second movie. Off to the library to pick up the remaining two books. Excited to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Since this is a trilogy there will be 3 films. There are no plans to split the last book into two films like they did in the Harry Potter and The Hunger Game franchises. While I am sure the producers wouldn't mind doing that this particular series may not warrant it. I think producers are simply happy to find the next successful YA (young adult) franchise.
    I saw this weekend that they have decided to split Allegiant (the third book) into two movies. I think this is a bad idea for the same reason it is stupid to do with Mockingjay (Hunger Games). It is a simple money grab. I got Harry Potter and Breaking Dawn - those books were over 700 pages each. But Allegiant and Mockingjay are not.

I loved the series, but I was one who hated the ending. I understood it but I hated it. I enjoyed the movie and thought they tried to stay true to the book. The one thing I actually loved about this series is that unlike other YA books where not only is there mandatory love relationship - it usually seems like there has to be a mandatory love triangle. This was the first book where there is no triangle. They have their struggles, but the struggles are more natural, given the world they are in and the decisions they each make. I liked that.

I really have issues with classifying books/movies as "young adult," since that implies that only those in that age range with enjoy them. I am far from being young adults, but a few of my favorites franchises have been this one, the Harry Potter series, the Ender series and and the Dark Materials books. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes good writing or film making across age groupings.

I rarely pay attention to critics' reviews anyone. For one, if they really knew what they claim to know, there would not be so much disagreement among them. Secondly, I have a hard time thinking of anything more individual that what each of us finds entertaining or rewarding or interesting.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I really have issues with classifying books/movies as "young adult," since that implies that only those in that age range with enjoy them. I am far from being young adults, but a few of my favorites franchises have been this one, the Harry Potter series, the Ender series and and the Dark Materials books. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes good writing or film making across age groupings.

I rarely pay attention to critics' reviews anyone. For one, if they really knew what they claim to know, there would not be so much disagreement among them. Secondly, I have a hard time thinking of anything more individual that what each of us finds entertaining or rewarding or interesting.
    I am right there with you and have been almost exclusively reading YA literature lately. I think it has to do with the publisher. They characterize them, not me.

Add me to the ones that think splitting the last book into two movies is a bad move. I am already deciding not to see the second movie or three and four because of the decision. It's stupid and unwarranted, it comes across as nothing more than utter greed on the part of the studio heads. It sorta made sense for Harry Potter as the books are so long. Thankfully they didn't do it for Lord of the Rings. I initially thought it incredibly stupid to do a 2 parter lets not talk about a 3 parter for The Hobbit. The book is so short. However with the Hobbit they are actually adding enough material that I don't mind so much. But let's not get into the habit of splitting the last book in a series just because you can.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

I agree with you, though technically Harry Potter is categorized as children's literature, not YA. Nonetheless, a good story is a good story.
    With regards to the Divergent trilogy, I didn't really care for the last book so I'm not sure I would be up to watching two films based on it. I guess it depends what the director and cast do with it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Young-adult fiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Young-adult fiction or young adult literature (often abbreviated as YA),[1] also juvenile fiction, is fiction written, published, or marketed to adolescents and young adults, although recent studies show that 55% of young-adult fiction is purchased by readers over 18 years of age.[2] The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) of the American Library Association (ALA) defines a young adult as someone between the ages of twelve and eighteen. Authors and readers of young adult (YA) novels often define the genre as literature as traditionally written for ages ranging from sixteen years up to the age of twenty-five, while Teen Fiction is written for the ages of ten and to fifteen.[3] The terms young-adult novel, juvenile novel, young-adult book, etc. refer to the works in the YA category.[4]

YA literature shares the following fundamental elements of the fiction genre: character, plot, setting, theme, and style. However, theme and style are often subordinated to the more tangible elements of plot, setting, and character, which appeal more readily to younger readers. The vast majority of YA stories portray an adolescent, rather than an adult or child, as the protagonist.[5]

The subject matter and story lines of YA literature are typically consistent with the age and experience of the main character, but, beyond that, YA stories span the spectrum of fiction genres. Themes in YA stories often focus on the challenges of youth, sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming-of-age novels.[6] Writing styles of YA stories range widely, from the richness of literary style to the clarity and speed of the unobtrusive and free verse.[4]
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Ok, I saw the movie opening weekend.. I had been waiting on it since seeing previews when I took DD to see Catching Fire. She and I looked at one another and said.. ‘we are so going’ I saw the movie then power read the books in 2 days after. I hated the last book, glad to see I wasn’t the only one. I hate the idea of splitting it in to 2 even more. I don’t think there was enough source material to do so. It’s a pretty cut and dry.. easy to follow and it’s like what 200 pages?!

I think the reason there was a bigger crowd of on-young adults is because they did age the characters in the movie.. Theo James (YUM by the way) is nearly 30.. far cry from 18 and I personally remember him from Golden Boy and some other things and was looking forward to seeing him in this. Shaliene I remember form the OC back in the day as Little Cooper (insert mini cooper jokes here) and whereas I don’t have TOO much of an issue with her as Tris, she is ‘bigger’ than Tris is described as being and I would like to have seen her develop her dauntless physical form. I have issue with her voice. It grates on my nerves. But shirtless Theo DID make up for that. My issue with taking 4 years to do the books is that they happen in a span of months.. MAYBE 6. So advanced age or not, they will age over that time no matter how fast they film. At least with Harry Potter and the Hunger Games it was a yearly advancement in all the books so a year older worked well.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Maybe they will make them faster, only release them that way...a guy OVER 30 playing an 18 year old??

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Maybe they will make them faster, only release them that way...a guy OVER 30 playing an 18 year old??
    Yeah, but actually not that surprising in Hollywood. I'm always shocked when they cast someone that is close to the right age!! For those that were big into 90210, I was shocked when I learned the real ages of everyone. When they started, they were supposed to be 15-16. I think they were all in their 20's (except Tori Spelling) and I think Gabrielle Carteris was actually in her 30's. Hollywood makes it work.

And yeah, a second here on Theo James being very yummy!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast