+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Florimel
  • 3 Post By AcookerTV

Thread: Nebraska

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Nebraska

Our local theater has brought back all the Oscar nominee pictures so I'm on a binge. This was a great "small picture". A truly great performance by the lead of an older man who's slowly losing it---doesn't realize that the publishers clearinghouse type promotion doesn't mean he won a million $$, so he decides to walk to Nebraska to claim it (from Montana), as no one in his family will take him and he isn't allowed to drive any more. It's in black and white which makes the Plains states in winter look even bleaker than they are, but parts are very funny and parts are very touching--I really recommend it. His younger son finally drives him, leading to some road trip moments, and en route they wind up in his home town, where everyone thinks he did win a million $$ so he becomes a local star, and the son learns a lot about his younger days. If you can't find it locally I'm sure it would be a good rental.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Nebraska

So I'm the only one who saw this? Truly, if you liked Philomena I think you will like this as well. Similar small, "real" picture. Although not a real flattering picture of small town Nebraskans!

FORT Fogey

No, you're not the only one. I posted my thoughts on the movie in the What Films Did you Watch thread before you had started this thread. I get confused sometimes between what movies get their own thread and which ones are talked about in that thread. Sorry!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Mr. Christian (from North Platte, NE) and I went to see this last night. I almost fell on the floor laughing at the scene where all the brothers (who had not been together for many years) just sat in the living room watching a football game with the occasional comment about cars. That is SO like his family. We thought a lot of the idiosyncracies were "spot on."

It was an enjoyable film, and I loved watching the son begin to see his father as a real person, rather than just as a part of his life to be endured.

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my to rent list for sure. Bruce Dern has been a delight to watch work for years.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

So, how was Bruce Dern's performance? Oscar-worthy? He's been at his craft for years and I don't think he's ever won but could be mistaken. Might he be the sentimental favorite? I haven't seen ANY of the nominated films. Mr. ECM and I are not the biggest movie-goers. We did see The Butler at our local library last week but I don't think that was nominated.

I'd like to see Filomena and Nebraska but have no interest in Wolf of Wall Street or the quirky Her. I'm afraid that if I see 12 Years a Slave in the movie theater I would embarrass myself with all the bawling I would do. I cried throughout The Butler.

FORT Fogey

He is Oscar worthy. I have not seen 12 Years a Slave yet, and I've heard that one may change my mind. That aside, I think he deserves the Oscar not as a sentimental favorite, or for body of work but because his performance in this movie was outstanding. My thought on acting is that many people can convey emotion in the way they deliver a line. Fewer can convey emotion without saying a word (the best example of that to me will always be Diane Lane's train scene in Unforgiven where she shows excitement, guilt, lust and regret all while sitting in a train seat not saying a word). Dern accomplishes something in Nebraska that I think is far more difficult -- he persuades the audience that his character is unlikable, and then persuades you to love him. His peformance allows the audience to experience Will Forte's character's journey. He did it so well that I didn't even realize he'd done it until I had left the movie. Speaking of Oscars, if Nebraska does not win for Cinematography, then they should not HAVE an Oscar for that category!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

12 years a slave is also amazing.... Some tough choices this year. I didn't see the Redford film but hear that was also a good nominee for best actor. But I agree with everything you said about Dern and Nebraska.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    No, you're not the only one. I posted my thoughts on the movie in the What Films Did you Watch thread before you had started this thread. I get confused sometimes between what movies get their own thread and which ones are talked about in that thread. Sorry!
    I have no idea what the FORT rule is on this, but personally I use the "what have you watched lately" thread for movies I've rented (practically never) or a film that is totally obscure, that most people wouldn't be able to see...the kind of thing you find in an art theater in NYC (also practically never!), but when I read about a "regular" film that I want to see I start a thread for it to find out what others who go earlier than I do think (I don't like crowded theaters)---or occasionally I stumble on a really good film that I hadn't planned to see (e.g., a friend wants to see it, or my Sig. Other), and then I start one post seeing it.

+ Reply to Thread