+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Florimel
  • 1 Post By AcookerTV
  • 1 Post By Critical

Thread: SAG Awards

SAG Awards

As with most awards show, I agree with some and disagree with others. However, there were a few things I'd like to mention.

First of all, I've now seen Lupita Nyong'O from 12 Years a Slave on three awards show. She is exquisitely beautiful and I love how she dresses. That red dress she wore at the Golden Globes by Ralph Lauren was the breathtaking. I didn't know her before and was intrigued enough to look her up. She graduated from the Yale Drama School, which confirms her acting talent. I'm looking forward to see what she does next.

Next, I could not have been more thrilled than with Rita Moreno's so well deserved Lifetime Achievement award. I've loved her work for decades. Singing, dancing, theater, tv, and film acting. she's great at all of them. She can still do it all at 82,

I also liked Michael Douglas mention of his dad, whom I did not realize is 97. Kirk was a fantastic actor and it's nice to see him remembered.
    Punkin and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: SAG Awards

Yes, that Red Dress at the GGs! Fabulous on her!

Some fabulous dresses, Amy Adams in blue stunning, Lupita Nyong'o in Gucci turquoise, Cate Blanchard, Sandra Bullock .... lots of great bodies and great fashions.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Rita Moreno I've loved her since I was little and she and Morgan Freeman were on The Electric Company. West Side Story is the first movie I ever owned on VHS. It was on TWO tapes.

That SAG members think Maggie Smith gave a better performance than the other women nominated in that category....well, WTF? I love her on DA, but that is not in the same league as the other performances. It just puts a spotlight on the need for Sag to add supporting categories for TV series.

I also don't think McConaughey deserves all the accolades he's getting. It's like people are freaking AMAZED when someone is able to lose weight. I saw the movie and, while he was good, he wasn't great. Jared Leto made a physical transformation as well, but his performance was far and away better than MM's. It wasn't just about the weight loss and the makeup/wardrobe; he played a fully-formed human and he broke my heart. With MM I felt like he was sort of playing another version of himself.

Cate Blanchett on the other hand....when I saw Blue Jasmine back whenever it came out, I said, "Well, that's it. No one else even needs to apply. Best Actress." I didn't love the movie, but she was SO good. I couldn't imagine anyone giving a better performance. It was a master class.

As much as I love Helen Mirren, I didn't think her win was warranted (and several critics have agreed this morning). Much better performances in that category.

It's a shame 12 Years a Slave came out (comparatively) earlier in the year. If they'd released it in December, I think it would probably be getting more awards.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I haven't seen any of the movies that were nominated by SAG. The ones that speak to me and I intend to see are: the one with Judy Dench, Kate Blanchette, and American Hustle.

I can't watch moives about slavery. I find it too disturbing.

I have zero interest in the one with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, although I love George. That subject matter holds no interest for me.

I'm not sure if I want to see Dallas Buyers Club or not. Was Matthew that good? That movie seems really depressing.

FORT Fogey

Dallas Buyers Club wasn't really depressing, although I wouldn't say it was uplifting either. I agree with what Critical said about Matthew's performance. It was good, and worth of some attention, but I don't think it was so outstanding that he should be getting all the awards. Other than the weight loss, the physical transformation was credit to the hair people, and not his outstanding acting. I personally did not have the experience of forgetting that he was Matthew McConaughey playing the role - it was still his voice, still his mannerisms. He conveyed emotions well, but also had the assistance of sound effects to get some things across. It was probably his best work, but I don't think it was the kind of performance that people will be holding up 10 years from now as an example of amazing acting. Honestly, I think that Bruce Dern should be getting all the awards. I know a lot of people say he should for the body of work, but I think he should for Nebraska alone. In that movie, he managed to convey a character in such a way that you really disliked him at points, disliked but understood him at others, and really loved and adored him at other times. He was amazing.

I have heard good things about Bruce Dern in Nebraska. I kind of wish he had won. How many years does he have left to win? When you knock it out of the ball park at that age, you should get it, IMO.

I also heard great things about Robert Redford in the movie he played as a survivor on a ship that is going down. I don't think he was even nominated by SAG.

I'm a fool for Meryl Streep, but I'm afraid when he come to Judy Dench, I can't resist her acting. She's so goooooooooooooood. I fell in love with her in the film Notes On A Scandal. She's gifted, IMO.

I also adore Cate Blanchette and Maggie Smith. CAn I have a 4 way tie? Streep, Dench, Smith and Blanchette............lol

FORT Fogey

This is one year I would not give any awards to Streep. I thought Osage County was NOT good, and from what I've read comparing the movie to the play, a lot of it was Meryl's fault and the way she approached the role. I know it's blasphemous to say Meryl didn't act well in something -- but i think she set the wrong tone with the role. Cate Blanchette on the other hand was brillant even by the standards that she has set for herself. She has scenes in Blue Jasmine where she is able to convey so much by her face and movements, without saying a word that 10 years from now people WILL be holding that performance up as a lesson in how to act. She was brillant, fantastic, and they should probably invent some extra acting awards to recognize her performance even more than before.
    Critical likes this.

Agreed, ACooker. I don't think anyone can touch Cate Blanchett this year. There's no contest. I love Streep and Dench, but this year, they got schooled by CB. She was flawless.

IMO, the awards should ALL be going to Chiwitel Ejiofor. I fear though, that the Best Actor category is going to be a popularity contest (what else is new?) this year. I think I may just have to settle for one of my favorite actors finally becoming "known."
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread