+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bearcata
  • 1 Post By Bearcata
  • 1 Post By AZChristian

Thread: Monuments Men

Monuments Men

Based on the true story of the greatest treasure hunt in history, The Monuments Men is an action drama focusing on an unlikely World War II platoon, tasked by FDR with going into Germany to rescue artistic masterpieces from Nazi thieves and returning them to their rightful owners. It would be an impossible mission: with the art trapped behind enemy lines, and with the German army under orders to destroy everything as the Reich fell, how could these guys - seven museum directors, curators, and art historians, all more familiar with Michelangelo than the M-1 - possibly hope to succeed? But as the Monuments Men, as they were called, found themselves in a race against time to avoid the destruction of 1000 years of culture, they would risk their lives to protect and defend mankind's greatest achievements. From director George Clooney, the film stars George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonneville, and Cate Blanchett. The screenplay is by George Clooney & Grant Heslov, based on the book by Robert M. Edsel with Bret Witter. Produced by Grant Heslov and George Clooney. (c) Sony
    The Monuments Men - Rotten Tomatoes Opening at theaters February 7th!

Well, I have no idea how I found this, but it is a Reddit AMA thing with Bill Murray. (Full disclosure: Don't ask me what Reddit is, or what AMA is 'cause I just don't know. I also don't know how to text or tweet or twitter. And there is something to do with pictures that I don't know how to do and I can't even remember what it is called.) I love Bill Murray and loved his humor in this Reddit thing, as well as the sometimes very humorous questions from the "interviewers". Here is a typical Bill Murray response:

KillKiddo 2290 points 22 hours ago
    How do you feel about recreational marijuana?

[]_BillMurray[S] 3794 points 22 hours agox2
    Well that's a large question, isn't it? Because you're talking about recreation, which everyone is in favor of. You are also talking about something that has been illegal for so many years, and marijuana is responsible for such a large part of the prison population, for the crime of self-medication. And it takes millions and billions of dollars by incarcerating people for this crime against oneself as best can be determined. People are realizing that the war on drugs is a failure, that the amount of money spent, you could have bought all the drugs with that much money rather than create this army of people and incarcerated people. I think the terror of marijuana was probably overstated. I don't think people are really concerned about it the way they once were. Now that we have crack and crystal and whatnot, people don't even think about marijuana anymore, it's like someone watching too many videogames in comparison. The fact that states are passing laws allowing it means that its threat has been over-exaggerated. Psychologists recommend smoking marijuana rather than drinking if you are in a stressful situation. These are ancient remedies, alcohol and smoking, and they only started passing laws against them 100 years ago.
    You can read the whole "interview" here: Bill Murray here: OK, I'll TALK! I'll TALK! : IAmA

There is a great The Monuments Men story in his "interview" that I had never heard before. Answering the question, "What surprised you the most when making this movie?" Murray tells that when this group of men found the cave where all these works of art were hidden by the Nazis, they also found a huge trove of GOLD! It seems that Germany felt this site was so secure they hid their entire store of (mostly stolen) gold there with the art. So with all their gold now in Allied hands, they could no longer pay for armaments, rubber, gasoline, etc. and it pretty much caused the end to the War in Europe. Good story. Murray tells it better.

Re: Monuments Men

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    The Monuments Men - Rotten Tomatoes Opening at theaters February 7th!

Well, I have no idea how I found this, but it is a Reddit AMA thing with Bill Murray. (Full disclosure: Don't ask me what Reddit is, or what AMA is 'cause I just don't know. I also don't know how to text or tweet or twitter. And there is something to do with pictures that I don't know how to do and I can't even remember what it is called.) I love Bill Murray and loved his humor in this Reddit thing, as well as the sometimes very humorous questions from the "interviewers". Here is a typical Bill Murray response:

You can read the whole "interview" here: Bill Murray here: OK, I'll TALK! I'll TALK! : IAmA

There is a great The Monuments Men story in his "interview" that I had never heard before. Answering the question, "What surprised you the most when making this movie?" Murray tells that when this group of men found the cave where all these works of art were hidden by the Nazis, they also found a huge trove of GOLD! It seems that Germany felt this site was so secure they hid their entire store of (mostly stolen) gold there with the art. So with all their gold now in Allied hands, they could no longer pay for armaments, rubber, gasoline, etc. and it pretty much caused the end to the War in Europe. Good story. Murray tells it better.
    Just a quick side bar to Bill Murray's comments about the War On Drugs and marijuana. Being a TV junkie and channel surfing a lot I have seen quiet a bit of the War On Drugs ... on Nat Geo where Parks Officers go into the California mountains and catch illegal marijuana growers. These growers pollute the rivers and streams toss tons of fertilizer and other types on chemicals into the ground not caring that they are destroying the environment, killing animals and poisoning the water that everyone is drinking. In the meantime hikers that are just trying to enjoy the beauties of nature are shot at maybe worse. The rich, greedy drug lords after all can always afford clean food and water and the hell with everyone else.
    Punkin likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Looking forward to this one. My book club read MM a few years ago (3? 4?) and it's one we still talk about. I have high hopes for the movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just put the book on hold at the library. After seeing how long the hold list is I will have seen the movie then listen to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just a quick side bar to Bill Murray's comments about the War On Drugs and marijuana. Being a TV junkie and channel surfing a lot I have seen quiet a bit of the War On Drugs ... on Nat Geo where Parks Officers go into the California mountains and catch illegal marijuana growers. These growers pollute the rivers and streams toss tons of fertilizer and other types on chemicals into the ground not caring that they are destroying the environment, killing animals and poisoning the water that everyone is drinking. In the meantime hikers that are just trying to enjoy the beauties of nature are shot at maybe worse. The rich, greedy drug lords after all can always afford clean food and water and the hell with everyone else.
    Exactly! And legalization puts them out of business. Unfortunately, the drug cartels in Mexico have found it more profitable to make Meth.

Saw the movie with my movie BFF. We both liked it. Nice little movie illustrating a bit of history. Nice touches throughout. Does not deserve the vicious rating Rotten Tomatoes gave it.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We're spending a long weekend catching up on movies before they leave the theaters. Monument Men was really enjoyable. Well cast, well acted . . . it's what we go to the movies to see - a good story portrayed in an interesting way.
    tinderbox likes this.

+ Reply to Thread