+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Golden Globes - 2014

Re: Golden Globes - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    My last post talking to myself tonight...either Depp has been sick with the flu and didn't go to the stylist or he has THE WORST EVER hair plugs. That being said, I'm hoping these attendees have paid, sober limo drivers tonight!
    Didn't he look a fright, blondish greasy hair.( barf)..ugh

I am thrilled Breaking Bad won, and Bryan Cranston..- although I love House of cards..BB was better

I saw part of the opening monologue or chit chat, it was lousy. Time to nix those two as hosts..
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I enjoyed the hosting banter. The other part I enjoyed was the Bacon clan introducing "Miss Golden Globe." However, I didn't enjoy Tina jumping in the middle of it with a very lame comedy bit. In the supporting actress award I was hoping the actress from Nebraska would have won. I haven't seen any of these movies yet, but there was a lovely piece on her long, long career on CBS Sunday Morning this morning.

It looks like all the A listers that were nominated showed up, except for Woody Allen who never shows up.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I enjoyed the hosting banter. The other part I enjoyed was the Bacon clan introducing "Miss Golden Globe." However, I didn't enjoy Tina jumping in the middle of it with a very lame comedy bit. In the supporting actress award I was hoping the actress from Nebraska would have won. I haven't seen any of these movies yet, but there was a lovely piece on her long, long career on CBS Sunday Morning this morning.

It looks like all the A listers that were nominated showed up, except for Woody Allen who never shows up.
    I haven't seen Nebraska yet, but Jennifer Lawrence was really great in American Hustle. She did what any good supporting performer should do: make you wish they had a bigger part! She was terrific. Sally Hawkins was very good also.

Emma Thompson I love her.

I'm scratching my head over Matthew McConaughey and Amy Adams. Ah well, it's the Hollywood Foreign Press. They're an odd bunch.

ETA: Oh yeah and........ Jared Leto!
    Last edited by Critical; 01-13-2014 at 03:23 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I hate to say this, but the more coverage of the Golden Globes I have seen, the more Jennifer Lawrence is losing her lustre for me. Last year, I thought that her personality and attitude were so refreshing during awards season. This year, seeing the picture of her "photobombing" the Taylor Swift interview and other pictures, combined with another rambling post-award press conferenced, I'm getting kind of tired of it. I saw the photobomb live on E!, and it came across to me like she was trying to make sure all the attention was focused on her instead of Swift. Even when doing publicity, why is it such a bad thing to let someone else be in the spotlight for a moment? I also listened to her press conference back stage after she won, and even though it was very similar to last year, it felt very tired. Last year when she giggled and didn't know what to say, it seemed like it was all so new to her tha she wasn't prepared. She's been through it enough times now that she should be prepared. She can still be comfortable in her own skin and honest, but figure out how to give coherent answers. She kept on telling the press to interrupt her to stop her from talking. They are there to do a job, and that job is to get soundbites from you Jennifer. When you just ramble and try not to talk, you're making life difficult on them. I'd like to see her show just some slight signs of growing up a bit before the Oscars roll around.

I don't care. I still love Jennifer. I've seen some snotty "news" stories about her. The media just LOOOVES building people up to knock them down. She's a talented, beautiful young woman. I'd rather watch her be nervous and awkward winning an award any day over someone who's smooth and rehearsed.

I'm always amused at how big a deal the Golden Globes are made out to be. It's really just 100 people voting. The show is a big deal because celebrities love being sucked up to and given awards.....plus, they serve alcohol. It's a fun awards show to watch, but it doesn't really have any affect on the Oscars. The deadline for Oscar ballots was the 8th.

I saw side-by-side pics this morning of Drew Barrymore's goofy flower dress and Hildy's flower-covered bathroom from Trading Spaces
    JLuvs and KatesMom like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

That's just the ballots for Oscar nominations, right? Since the nominees have not been announced yet, I would think that winners of the Globes COULD have an impact on voting for the Oscar winners. If a memeber of the academy doesn't think there's an obvious vote in a category, and one of the films has been receiving other awards, votes may go in the direciton of the winning film because voters want to be in the majority. OR, if a person wins early awards and fails to be gracious in receiving them, it could turn off votes.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I bet a lot more business gets done at the Golden Globes than the Oscars, though. What with the booze and the round tables and the close proximity, it was interesting as going and coming from commercials they showed the schmoozing taking place. It is a relaxed, but elegant (evening dress) party and show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Lots of business does get accomplished there, and other things as well. After all, it was years ago at the Golden Globes that Calista Flockhart spilled a drink on Harrison Ford which started their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    That's just the ballots for Oscar nominations, right? Since the nominees have not been announced yet, I would think that winners of the Globes COULD have an impact on voting for the Oscar winners. If a memeber of the academy doesn't think there's an obvious vote in a category, and one of the films has been receiving other awards, votes may go in the direciton of the winning film because voters want to be in the majority. OR, if a person wins early awards and fails to be gracious in receiving them, it could turn off votes.
    True, but if, say, Matthew McConnaughey didn't get enough votes in the nom process, he's out. I think it will especially hurt him and DiCaprio, who isn't really an Academy favorite.

Since there are over 200 films on the nominating ballots and probably hundreds of actors, that's the tough one to get through. The final ballots go out later this month.

I was thrilled for DiCaprio ..he has done some really great movies. The V comment, so not needed, along with the opening remarks that sounded nasty from the girls

Oscars, I hope the dresses are better, nothing wowed me looking at the pics
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast