+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Philomena

Philomena

Philomena - Rotten Tomatoes

Based on the 2009 investigative book by BBC correspondent Martin Sixsmith, The Lost Child of Philomena Lee, PHILOMENA focuses on the efforts of Philomena Lee (Dench), mother to a boy conceived out of wedlock - something her Irish-Catholic community didn't have the highest opinion of - and given away for adoption in the United States. In following church doctrine, she was forced to sign a contract that wouldn't allow for any sort of inquiry into the son's whereabouts. After starting a family years later in England and, for the most part, moving on with her life, Lee meets Sixsmith (Coogan), a BBC reporter with whom she decides to discover her long-lost son. (c) Weinstein

It's Judy Dench, its the Christmas/New Years Holidays so it is a must see film.

Luv'ed it. Go see it.

Luv Philomena she is this marvelous combination of naive and smart, a person of faith but also worldly wise.
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Philomena

Judi Dench in anything at any time of the year is worth seeing for me.

She was cast as the first Grizabella in the original production of Cats. She tore her Achilles tendon while rehearsing, then tried to come back too soon had to give up the role. She was replaced by Elaine Page. Most of us on this side of the pond don't know much about Judi as a musical theater singer, but I did read that she played Sally Bowles in Cabaret for quite a while and to excellent reviews. I found a page that has a recording of her singing "Memories." She sure sounded good.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just saw this---in a theater full of people old enough to have been young in the time period when she gives birth. Memories of how scandalous and sinful out of wedlock pregnancy was--bad enough in the US, much worse in Ireland--the hold it gave the nuns over her was incredible. I was doing research on newborns at a Catholic hospital in the later 60's in the US across the street for a home for unwed mothers---across a really really big parking lot. They made the in labor girls walk to the hospital...and the babies were put in a far corner of the newborn nursery so you could barely see they were there from the window, with O. W. marked on their bassinets. Still remember one 14 year old mother that I talked to to get permission to study her baby (I was working on ways to quiet spontaneously crying babies); she was in bed with her teddy bear--I felt like I should be getting permission from the grandma. Anyway....
    A great film, gripping, funny, sad, enraging, with a surprise ending that I won't spoil. If you are too young to have lived through this time period look at it as a very vivid history lesson, and one that will probably make you very glad you were born later. The usual great acting from Judi D., but the whole cast was magnificent I thought.
    Stay for the credits...there are some home movies shown that give some "truth" to the film... Also, British and Irish accents, so Americans with some hearing issues might want to use the theater hearing sets if yours has them.
    Last edited by PWS; 01-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just saw Philomena this afternoon. I don't often rate a film as a "10" - but that's the score I gave this one. Superbly acted, amazing story. I didn't realize until the end that it was based on a true story. I was going to order it for my Kindle, but some of the reviews said that the book isn't really much like the movie. So I think I'll pass on the book. But the movie - wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Also, British and Irish accents, so Americans with some hearing issues might want to use the theater hearing sets if yours has them.
    I had to laugh. The library I work at has quite and extensive DVD collection. I had a patron ask why we had so many TV shows and not ones she liked just those "British ones" that no one likes.... and that she can't understand English.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I had to laugh. The library I work at has quite and extensive DVD collection. I had a patron ask why we had so many TV shows and not ones she liked just those "British ones" that no one likes.... and that she can't understand English.
    ummm.... if no one likes them then why does the library have so many of them and why is BBC America so popular? She can't understand English??? What does she think she is speaking?
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Just saw Philomena this afternoon. I don't often rate a film as a "10" - but that's the score I gave this one. Superbly acted, amazing story. I didn't realize until the end that it was based on a true story. I was going to order it for my Kindle, but some of the reviews said that the book isn't really much like the movie. So I think I'll pass on the book. But the movie - wonderful!
    What a wonderful review. I saw a snippet from the golden globes and the real Philomena was there
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    ummm.... if no one likes them then why does the library have so many of them and why is BBC America so popular? She can't understand English??? What does she think she is speaking?
    I understand her problem. British sitcoms are not my taste and when I know the show or film will have British accents, I turn on the CC.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I understand her problem. British sitcoms are not my taste and when I know the show or film will have British accents, I turn on the CC.
    You do realize that most American sitcoms are based on British shows, All In The Family and Sanford and Son and Three's Company being the most famous ones.
    Florimel likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I turn on the CC, too. And I hit "Pause" a lot so I can look up definitions of some of the words/names they use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast