+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Philomena

Re: Philomena

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    You do realize that most American sitcoms are based on British shows, All In The Family and Sanford and Son and Three's Company being the most famous ones.
    Yes, I do realize that, and I do watch some of those, or I used to watch them. But, they have been toned down or changed enough for the American audience that they are different. I did not find The Office funny and that was one of the imports.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that I don't find slapstick, pants falling down stuff funny. Yes, I know they are not all like that, but since I've stuck my foot in my mouth, it is going to stay there.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Yes, I do realize that, and I do watch some of those, or I used to watch them. But, they have been toned down or changed enough for the American audience that they are different. I did not find The Office funny and that was one of the imports.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that I don't find slapstick, pants falling down stuff funny. Yes, I know they are not all like that, but since I've stuck my foot in my mouth, it is going to stay there.
    I loved The Office UK, I cant stand the US one.
    Florimel likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I turn on the CC, too. And I hit "Pause" a lot so I can look up definitions of some of the words/names they use.
    I am British, I grew up with some of the sitcoms that are still around, and even I turn on the CC.
    AZChristian likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I guess this is off topic, and I apologize for that, but as long as the topic has been raised, I'm American and I adore the British sitcoms. Most of them are way better than our own for me. I have no trouble understanding British accents or vocabulary, possibly because I've read British literature all my life.

I can't help but smile when I think of shows like Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, As Times Goes By, Keeping Up Appearance, Black Adder to mention only a few. I'm in complete agreement with Fanny about loving The Office U.K. Version and so not loving the American versions.

Here's a link to the top 100 British comedies as compiled by public voting. I've not seen all of them, but a bunch of my favorites are there. Top 50 British Sitcoms - British Comedy Guide
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'll say it before the mods do... back to Philomena, folks! Glad it got some recognition from the Oscar nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I'll say it before the mods do... back to Philomena, folks! Glad it got some recognition from the Oscar nominations.
    I don't think it will win, do you? But having it nominated is good, it means they will bring it back, it was taken off far too quickly
    -Andy Rooney-

Widest Release: 835 theaters
    In Release: 56 days / 8 weeks

It's still running in places it just never had a very wide release which is unfortunate and it is a perfectly wonderful movie.

Just checked the local movie listings and it is still playing at the local Cinema Arts Theater.

And more news it has been nominated for 4 Oscars:

Picture
    Actress: Judi Dench
    Adapted Screenplay: Steve Coogan & Jeff Pope
    Original Score
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-18-2014 at 12:52 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I would love to see her win. I found it playing at a cinema that's miles away from us but I know they bring them back to the one near us once they have been nominated .I do not want to wait until its out on DVD
    -Andy Rooney-

I'll probably wait until its out on DVD. My library that I work at has free rentals for one week!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree she's a good nominee....I think she may lose out to the one from Blue Jasmine though....who was also terrific.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast