+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: American Hustle

American Hustle

American Hustle (from IMDb):
    A con man, Irving Rosenfeld, along with his seductive British partner, Sydney Prosser, is forced to work for a wild FBI agent, Richie DiMaso. DiMaso pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and mafia.

Director:
    David O. Russell
    Writers:
    Eric Singer, David O. Russell
    Stars:
    Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper

Good film, the characters played by Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams were pretty interesting. Quite a cast with some interesting twists along the way.

Re: American Hustle

Am I the only one on FORT who has seen American Hustle? Anyone out there have anything to say about it? It is not the type of movie I am normally attracted to but I was intrigued by the actors and they did well. I am still pondering Jennifer Lawrence, especially after seeing her in Silver Linings Playbook and the Hunger Games movies. She is one of the strongest actors in our current time, I am convinced of that.

It's on our list .It got too busy -I love the cast in this movie
    Cootie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I saw it, and I felt let down by it. The acting was absolutely top notch. The set design and costumes were also fantastic. It left me yearning to go back to the time of hot rollers! But the story was so weak that I found myself multiple times during the movie thinking "So what?". In the final scenes, I finally figured out what type of movie they were going for, but didn't feel like I got caught up in the story because it took that long to establish it. To me, it was a great example in what happens in a movie if everyone is at the top of their game except for the screen writer.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Huh! Well, still on our list... Jennifer Lawrence is now one of those actors that if they are in a movie I try to catch it, even if she isn't the "star".

I watched it last night. Didn't LOVE it, but thought it was well done. The trailers make it seem like Jennifer Lawrence's part is a lot bigger than it is, which bummed me out. She was terrific. Although I like Amy Adams, I wasn't bowled over by her. That awful fake British accent just killed it for me. I couldn't figure out if she couldn't do the accent or if the character was supposed to be really bad at it.....which would mean that the people who fell for it were extra dense. I definitely didn't see why two beautiful women would be interested in Irving.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I was actually impressed with Amy Adams accent because it was bad. Since the character was supposed to be faking the accent, I thought that the reason she went in and out of it was because it was fake. I may have been totally duped, but that's how I interpreted it, and was impressed by it.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That awful fake British accent just killed it for me. I couldn't figure out if she couldn't do the accent or if the character was supposed to be really bad at it.....which would mean that the people who fell for it were extra dense.
    It was supposed to be bad - "People believe what they want to believe.". Anyway, while the acting was generally phenomenal (Bradley Cooper was a little too over the top, and the guy who played the FBI uber-boss was dreadful - did he win a walk-on in a contest or something?), I found the movie to be disjointed and tedious. I really don't get the accolades.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I thought the acting was top-notch, but the script was really sloppy and David O. Russell's direction was self-indulgent. half the movie went by, and I still wasn't sure what it was about. I wasn't sure which character I was supposed to be caring about more, or if it was just a long parade of pathetic people that i'm supposed to be spying on so I could shake my head.

All the actors did great work, but they weren't reigned in by Russell so that the movie could have a single tone. Cooper's character was supposed to be over-the-top, but there's a limit before it becomes an SNL Digital Short instead of a film. Christian Bale was phenomenal, but I felt no sympathy for his character at any point in the movie. Amy Adams and JLaw were the only ones who seemed to be able to pick a level and stick with it.

I liked Louis CK as the FBI boss, because he seemed to be the only sane character in the story, as if we could watch all these insane events through his eyes. But again, this is also Russell's failure if he wanted me to sypathize more with any of the 4 main characters instead.

The 70s period styling was incredible, so it should win some art direction and hair/makeup awards for sure, but I don't get the universal awards love being poured on the film in general.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I don't think we were supposed to sympathize with most these characters as they were scoundrels, right? This movie certainly left me guessing as to where it was going, which was fine by me. This was a fictionalized story modeled after an FBI sting of public officials in the east in the 1970-80's. Does anyone feel it is ironic that the New Jersey bridge closure scandal is coming to light as this movie is in theaters? Mayor Carmine Polito was portrayed as the loving and moral family man who was caught red handed in this scam.

I left this movie feeling like I did after watching The Sting with Paul Newman and Robert Redford...it was a little over the top, I agree. But entertaining. And I liked both Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adam's characters. Amy Adam's fake persona was ridiculous. Even more ridiculous was the fact that she seemed to be working her scams pretty well??? And that hair of Christian Bale's character? I watched that head of his the entire movie with fascination after seeing the opening scenes.
    PWS and Katydyd like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast