+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 47 Ronin

47 Ronin

Much better than I thought. It deserves a much better rating than the 11% that Rotten Tomatoes gave it. Even Grudge Match got 20% and it is not as well made movie.

This film is based on a true event in Japanese history were 47 Ronin (masterless samurai) avenged their master's death. The film makers introduced a fantasy element and perhaps that confused folks a bit as to what to expect this movie to be. I expected it to be a fantasy movie and the ending is grounded so much in reality that it sort of derails the direction the film was going. Maybe it was two concepts that shouldn't have been melded together? The look and feel of the film is fantastic. The witch and her antics are visually beautiful to watch. The movie does introduce a lot of Japanese mythology to a western audience so that is a good thing. I do think Keeanu Reeves is perfect for the role of Kai. I don't know why critics say he can not act if the part calls for a stoic character who shows little feeling or emotion Mr. Reeves is casting, he did a great job as the alien in the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Yes I do think it is worth seeing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: 47 Ronin

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Much better than I thought. It deserves a much better rating than the 11% that Rotten Tomatoes gave it. Even Grudge Match got 20% and it is not as well made movie.

This film is based on a true event in Japanese history were 47 Ronin (masterless samurai) avenged their master's death. The film makers introduced a fantasy element and perhaps that confused folks a bit as to what to expect this movie to be. I expected it to be a fantasy movie and the ending is grounded so much in reality that it sort of derails the direction the film was going. Maybe it was two concepts that shouldn't have been melded together? The look and feel of the film is fantastic. The witch and her antics are visually beautiful to watch. The movie does introduce a lot of Japanese mythology to a western audience so that is a good thing. I do think Keeanu Reeves is perfect for the role of Kai. I don't know why critics say he can not act if the part calls for a stoic character who shows little feeling or emotion Mr. Reeves is casting, he did a great job as the alien in the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Yes I do think it is worth seeing.

if the part calls for a stoic character who shows little feeling or emotion Mr. Reeves is perfect casting,

I hate it when I think I have typed all the words in my head and double check what I wrote and I am sure I see every word and yet when I look at it later there is a word missing.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah...he's great as a stoic...wonder how he'd do if required to show emotion.
    This film seems to have been abandoned by its producers...not sure why. Seems like the kind of movie that will do very well abroad at the least.

I think also the critics seem to really hate Keeanu Reeves and no matter the project they will paint it with a brush of doom.

+ Reply to Thread