+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Favorite XMAS flicks

Re: Favorite XMAS flicks

White Christmas and The Little Drummer Boy.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I love White Christmas, though my favorite number from it is early on, "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing," which actually has nothing to do with Christmas.

I also like the original black and white Miracle on Thirty-fourth Street. I'm probably the only one who thinks of Miracle on Thirty-fourth Street this way, but I enjoy the huge irony of using every one of the worst aspects of humanity--the avarice of the storekeepers, the judge's fear of falling out of political favor, the postal workers simply wanting to rid themselves of the headache of bags and bags of Santa letters etc.--to prove Santa legally exists.

As for the various versions of A Christmas Carol, I like The Black Adder's Christmas Carol when I've feeling a little over-sugared by the constant onslaught of syrupy sweet Christmas specials. I also like the TV movie version of Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates from, I think, the late 1960s. Technically, that's at least as much about St. Nicholas Day as Christmas, but I like it for the skating and the wonderful "Proper Manners" number. Plus, some of the costumes are very cool, as is the Dutch scenery. I'm also fond of "Seoul Mates," the Christmas episode of the television series Northern Exposure, which I was given as a single video release way back in the day, so I tend to think of it as a stand alone mini-movie. It's not just about Christmas, of course, because it blends a lot of holiday traditions/narratives, but that's part of the reason I like it. And to quote Chris from "Seoul Mates," on this Christmas eve, "may your dog talk."

FORT Newbie

I always watch the Christmas Story, but only because it was filmed on my street. Some of the houses are actually still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by eldrid View Post
    I always watch the Christmas Story, but only because it was filmed on my street. Some of the houses are actually still the same.
    That's really cool, eldrid! Oh, and WELCOME to the FoRT!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by eldrid View Post
    Oh wow! That is neat!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I watched Love Actually last night (or at least the last half). I forgot how much I like that movie. And Colin Firth... hubba hubba!
    AmyKay and Eastcoastmom like this.

First time twice.

Love Actually as a XMAS flick, Colin Firth associated with 'hubba hubba!'.

Expands my horizons in two different directions.

Thanks for sharing.

Fort Member

We have a christmas tradition we start the day with Scrooged followed by Ghostbusters, The Burbs then Love Actually and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation then back to Scrooged
    We have watched Scrooged every christmas day for the last 20 years and Ghostbusters for even longer but I think if we watched the others without Scrooged it would not be Christmas its definately the favourite in our house
    PGM35 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    We have a christmas tradition we start the day with Scrooged followed by Ghostbusters, The Burbs then Love Actually and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation then back to Scrooged
    We have watched Scrooged every christmas day for the last 20 years and Ghostbusters for even longer but I think if we watched the others without Scrooged it would not be Christmas its definately the favourite in our house
    I watched Christmas Vacation last night. Haven't seen it in ages. Its not my favorite, yet I still like it.

Like watching the Doctor Who Christmas specials they are always fun.
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast