+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire

Catching Fire starts November 22nd.

There's going to be a double-feature in my area Thursday where you can see the first Hunger Games, followed by the new sequel. I had planned to go with a friend until I went to buy tickets. It was going to be $27.50 to see it on IMAX and $20.00 to see it in digital. That seemed steep to me but I wanted to see it so I was going to buy tickets anyway. Then I found out that cost was per ticket, not $27.50 for both!

My friend and I usually go to matinees, when prices are cheaper, so I had a severe case of sticker shock. I called my friend and she agreed with me that she didn't want to spend that much money to see the double feature. We can catch a matinee of Catching Fire alone for $6.

It will have to be the weekend after Thanksgiving, though, since I'm going out of town this Saturday.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Hunger Games 2: Catching Fire

That is pretty steep, Pikachu!

I'm re-reading the first two books in preparation, but won't be able to actually see the movie until December 1st. Hope to see it that evening at Universal Orlando if scheduling works out. Jennifer Lawrence IS Katniss!!!

I can't wait to see it!!!! I will be traveling too... will have to wait until after Thanksgiving. UNLESS I can convince my DH to see it while on vacation!

Well I heard the critics saying it will be the blockbuster of the holiday season.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Fortunately Netflix is streaming Hunger Games, so we will watch it there before going to the show for the new one.
    captain and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Catching Fire starts November 22nd.

There's going to be a double-feature in my area Thursday where you can see the first Hunger Games, followed by the new sequel. I had planned to go with a friend until I went to buy tickets. It was going to be $27.50 to see it on IMAX and $20.00 to see it in digital. That seemed steep to me but I wanted to see it so I was going to buy tickets anyway. Then I found out that cost was per ticket, not $27.50 for both!

My friend and I usually go to matinees, when prices are cheaper, so I had a severe case of sticker shock. I called my friend and she agreed with me that she didn't want to spend that much money to see the double feature. We can catch a matinee of Catching Fire alone for $6.

It will have to be the weekend after Thanksgiving, though, since I'm going out of town this Saturday.
    I just checked on line for the double feature in IMAX in northern Virginia and it is only $25.00

For just the regular double feature is is $20.00.

Went to the 8pm at the local non stadium seating theater. They had the double feature starting at 5:10pm. The movie is 2 hrs and 36 minutes long that includes the commercials. A tad long but by the ending I went huh, you mean it is over, it felt as if I had only seen half the story. This is a good thing leaving the theater wanting to see more, to want to know what happens next. Yes, go see it, I highly recommend it. Glad I went today I am thinking it is going to be packed Friday and Saturday nights. A very good way to start the holiday movie season. If you want to wait it's a great movie to see before or after Thanksgiving.
    Punkin likes this.

We went at 11:30 PM last night and loved it. I knew someone who was an extra in the film, and her scenes made it into the movie, so it was very exciting. The movie was long but it went by very quickly. I loved the books, but the drawback of having read them was knowing what was going to happen. That obviously took away some of the suspense, especially in the arena scenes.

Here are some of my thoughts and observations. I am putting them in spoiler tags just in case someone doesn't want to know anything about the movie before seeing it.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm glad they stuck close to the books.
    The special effects far exceed those in the first movie.
    We got to see a wider range of emotion from Katniss and Effie.
    Gale is still gorgeous.
    Peeta seems stronger, wiser and even more empathetic. One of my favorite scenes was him with the morphling. I'll say no more.
    Prim has grown stronger and self-assured.
    Buttercup is now the right color!
    Still love Cinna.
    The elevator scene is priceless.
    I'm not sold on Sam Claflin as Finnick. He is charming enough, I guess, but I couldn't get past his kind of goofy, smiling mush mouth.
    I liked Jenna Malone as Joanna, but her voice is grating.
    There was a lot of action in the arena, but I would have liked to have seen more of the quiet tenseness. We barely saw anything of the other tributes not in the core group, so that strong feeling of being hunted wasn't as intense as in the first movie.
    We actually see the hovercraft retrieving bodies, which was great. I remember being bummed they didn't include that in the first movie.
    Did I mention Cinna?
    Jennifer Lawrence's acting throughout was great. But how she expressed such a change in emotion at the end was brilliant.
    Go see it as soon as you can.
    And . . .
    May the odds be ever in your favor!
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Just got out of the theater and LOVED it. I had read the books so was really confused when 'like an hour' into the movie, the stuff from the end started to happen, it went by that fast, most definitely did not seem like two and a half hours. The last scene, the unspoken part, was AMAZING acting. I jumped out of my chair twice (thanks, IMAX, I'm sure that helped) and teared up more than once. I liked how each character grew and/or changed from the first movie. Brilliant.

One thing I really liked was how much the score added to the movie. Granted, I just went to a Pops concert celebrating film scores last weekend which may have made me more aware, but I thought it was great, especially as all the Tributes were riding through the Capitol on the Eve of the Games.
    Wag more, bark less

Just saw it, and yes, I loved it too. So very well done, and that last scene of JL's face was amazing.

I loved Joanna, her defiance was awesome. Loved Mags too, and yes, Cinna

The dress change was so well done, my God. So cool, all the special effects were amazing.

The monkeys scared the crap out of me, I couldn't watch parts of those scenes. Yikes.

They have really set the bar high this time around. I heard the 3rd book will be two movies, which kind of bugs me. How long will we have to wait for the last movie? Also, those of us who have read the books know that the next movie won't be too enjoyable if you are a Katniss/Peeta fan.
    mushybrain likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast