+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcmomof2
  • 2 Post By Bearcata

Thread: Ender's Game

FORT Fogey

Ender's Game

Saw it this evening, and liked the movie adaptation. Read all of the books years ago, and couldn't wait to see the story on the big screen. The graphics were amazing; went to an IMAX theater. The casting was very good! Even though I knew what was coming, I still felt so bad for Ender after the last battle.

Re: Ender's Game

I have the first six Ender books and I think I'll reread the fist one before seeing the movie. The only thing that's bothering me just a bit is that Ender was so much younger than 15 when he first went to the school and I enjoyed watching him grow through several years in the book. I'll miss that part of his experience, I think.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I have the first six Ender books and I think I'll reread the fist one before seeing the movie. The only thing that's bothering me just a bit is that Ender was so much younger than 15 when he first went to the school and I enjoyed watching him grow through several years in the book. I'll miss that part of his experience, I think.
    Yes, they start him out much older, and the timetable is in fast forward. He literally flies through battle school! There's a lot missing from the books, but it still works. I went with two folks who hadn't read the series, and they loved the movie.

FORT Newbie

I'm so excited to hear that it's a good movie. I'm taking 10 boys to see it this Friday for my son's birthday party. Sounds like they will have a blast!
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

Saw the film last night and enjoyed it very much. The only disconnect I have is that it seemed that Ender being picked for Battle School then going to Command School and the final battle scenes seem to have happened in a matter of 3 or 4 weeks and that timeline seems highly unrealistic.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Forgot to mention I liked that there were strong female characters from Viola Davis as a counselor to both younger characters, Valentin (Ender's sister) and Petra a fellow student. All are portrayed as strong, capable and compassionate women.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I really liked it. It has been a long time since I have read the books. The timeline did seem accelerated. Will they do any other Ender movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880 View Post
    I really liked it. It has been a long time since I have read the books. The timeline did seem accelerated. Will they do any other Ender movies?
    I expect that will depend on how well this movie does. There are so many different facets to the Ender books and I have only the original six, which I also read long ago. The timeline was definitely accelerated; I remember Ender going through several years at the school, much like Harry Potter did.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread