+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Captain Phillips

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Captain Phillips

We decided to go see it, looking at it as "fiction" given the above. Very gripping. BUT, warning to all those out there who also get sick when watching handheld camera work, realistic portrayals of life inside a tiny bobbing lifeboat, etc.---be prepared. We'd planned a late afternoon movie and then dinner, but had to skip the dinner part, barely made it out of the theater intact. Now I'm worried about going to see Gravity!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm an experienced cruiser, and have been through 25-foot seas in Glacier Bay, Alaska, with no problem. Neither Captain Phillips nor Gravity bothered me a bit.

But I had to leave Safe House with Denzel Washington because the handheld camera was SO jerky I was getting dizzy and getting a headache. After 20 minutes, I whispered to my hubby, "You can stay and watch this. I'm going shopping. Call me when the movie is over, and I'll come back and pick you up."

I even stopped at the Customer Service desk at the theater on the way out, and they gave me a free pass to come back and see another movie. :-)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, I was really looking forward to Gravity, but now I'm worried about it...especially with the 3-D wide screen that everyone recommends. Maybe if I take a Dramamine first? I didn't have trouble with Avatar and all that swooping around, but maybe Gravity will be different. Thanks for the warning about Safe House! Really, they should put notes in the reviews like they do for sex and violence!
    AZChristian likes this.

I get sea sick pretty easily, but didn't feel anything when watching Gravity 3D. I am probably going to skip Captain Phillips though. They actually had warning signs at the theater about motion sickness for it lol
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

So glad I didn't head the motion sickness warnings! I saw this last night and I have to say, this was the best movie I've seen so far this year. Never felt ill at all. Tom Hanks was amazing in his performance. Both my son (who's 14) and I were in tears at the very end. I hope he gets nominated for Best Actor this year. He deserves it, and to win! Wow, this is one movie that is going to stick with me for awhile. And all the actors were great. It was so intense!
    AZChristian and Fanny Mare like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I get sea sick pretty easily, but didn't feel anything when watching Gravity 3D. I am probably going to skip Captain Phillips though. They actually had warning signs at the theater about motion sickness for it lol
    We are seeing Gravity tonight, I don't get motion sick, but I do feel claustrophobic, oh well we have the tickets now . We want to see Captain Phillips next week, glad you enjoyed it mesa
    mesachick likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    So glad I didn't head the motion sickness warnings! I saw this last night and I have to say, this was the best movie I've seen so far this year. Never felt ill at all. Tom Hanks was amazing in his performance. Both my son (who's 14) and I were in tears at the very end. I hope he gets nominated for Best Actor this year. He deserves it, and to win! Wow, this is one movie that is going to stick with me for awhile. And all the actors were great. It was so intense!
    We really enjoyed it, toward the end I was on the edge of my seat.. after the dreck we saw the other night we welcomed this movie. I also hope Hanks wins best actor
    -Andy Rooney-

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I also thought the actor who played the "villian" leader, Muse, was fantastic---in that situation you (or I at least) felt sorry for him at the end. Really, it was a stellar cast. You see why the Somalis do what they do, even though obviously you are rooting for the crew to escape.
    mesachick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I also thought the actor who played the "villian" leader, Muse, was fantastic---in that situation you (or I at least) felt sorry for him at the end. Really, it was a stellar cast. You see why the Somalis do what they do, even though obviously you are rooting for the crew to escape.
    He was a limo driver, when he heard they were casting!! I just hate the fact in the movie and in RL they are always high on khat .That's what we see them chewing non stop.
    It is smuggled into this country( sigh)
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12