+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Gravity

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Gravity

I was distracted within the first few minutes. IIRC, the voiceover said that space was a vacuum, so there could be no fire and no sound. Then we hear the sound of the space station going by, just as it explodes with a big ball of flame.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Even the dream sequence where Sandra Bullock is alone inside a capsule and George Clooney taps on the door before opening it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to know that if the cabin is pressurized, opening the door will cause it to crumple like a soda can. But what does our intrepid heroine do? She turns her head and shields her eyes. Yes, I know it was supposed to be a hallucination . . . but really????
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I was distracted within the first few minutes. IIRC, the voiceover said that space was a vacuum, so there could be no fire and no sound. Then we hear the sound of the space station going by, just as it explodes with a big ball of flame.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Even the dream sequence where Sandra Bullock is alone inside a capsule and George Clooney taps on the door before opening it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to know that if the cabin is pressurized, opening the door will cause it to crumple like a soda can. But what does our intrepid heroine do? She turns her head and shields her eyes. Yes, I know it was supposed to be a hallucination . . . but really????
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The capsule will not crumple like a soda can, it is built to withstand the pressure or none pressure of vacuum. Actually what happened was viable. You need to close your eyes so the moisture in your eyes isn't sucked out. For the few seconds the door was open and the Clooney character stepped in a person can survive.

HowStuffWorks "How long can a human survive in outer space?"
    This process could take from 30 seconds to 1 minute. So, it was possible for astronaut David Bowman in "2001: A Space Odyssey" to survive when he ejected from the space pod into the airlock without a space helmet and repressurized the airlock within 30 seconds.

As for the sound, in practically every space movie there has been the editors add a soundtrack to indicate movement. They all do it and this movie is not an exception to this rule.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I would be astonished if they didn't have technical advisers to verify these things.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I would be astonished if they didn't have technical advisers to verify these things.
    I am sure the did, it's too easy to verify stuff using Google it's just that Hollywood takes facts and stretches them to unbelievable limits. I remember a couple of years back they had a disaster movie a meteor hitting the earth and a 300 ft tsumani was heading for New York City ( poor NYC ever noticed how it is always destroyed in films ). I was watching a docu something on cable or a behind the scenes making of the film and someone asked if that was feasible. Scientist verified that there would be a tsunami created and hit NYC but at most it would be 30 ft high. The digital artists created a scenario showing NYC being hit with a 30 ft wave and while it caused massive damage it didn't look visually that impressive so for the movie they made it a 300 ft wave.

The 2004 Tsunami that hit Thailand and other part of Asia was measured at 2ft in deep water but as it approached land the energy in the wave had to go somewhere and it went up when it reached land the wave was on average 80 ft tall.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Saw it today, having taken half a Dramamine "just in case" (and was glad in that first scene after the debris hits with all the whirling around--I'm sure it really captured it from her viewpoint, but oogh), and really enjoyed it. Am embarrassed to say I'd forgotten the discussion of the dream sequence so didn't realize at first that's what it was--I DID remember the 30 second discussion though! All I thought was, hmm, ok, pretty unlikely, but I guess they didn't want to kill off the love interest...blush!
    I liked the nice touch at the end when she comes out of the water and tries to stand, and is so shaky because of all the time in zero G...like you feel coming out of a pool (especially if you are very heavy since fat floats) when suddenly you weigh a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Hmm, obviously more than you I guess. We all like different movies and people, this one for me was a that's all
    "Hmm, obviously more than you I guess"

How would YOU react to that as a viewer, a neutral observation?

I heard Leonard Matlin saying this morning (among others) on NPR that this is a flick that shouldn't be viewed on DVD, just IMAX or 3D.

Good thing/bad thing IMO. Good that there's still a rationale for seeing a movie in a theater, bad that it may play out as unwatchable anywhere BUT a theater.

Shouldn't there be an upfront advisory for such a movie?
    Last edited by Arielflies; 12-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Florimel and Bearcata like this.

I watched it in regular 2D and it was fine. If I had seen it in 3D or IMAX I think I would have been experiencing a bit of motion sickness. I got a touch of that in the 2D version and wouldn't want to experience that in IMAX. Should the ushers be handing out bags for accidents?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I watched it in regular 2D and it was fine. If I had seen it in 3D or IMAX I think I would have been experiencing a bit of motion sickness. I got a touch of that in the 2D version and wouldn't want to experience that in IMAX. Should the ushers be handing out bags for accidents?
    Dang.

Now you make it appear more interesting.

I've never seen an IMAX or modern 3D flick. Upping your chuck might make it worth the price of admission, so long as you've opted for the never ending popcorn.

I just think 2D or 3d doesn't make a difference- its a D movie. . I wouldn't even rent it
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't keep up with movies, not having someone currently to see them with.

Somewhere down the line, I wouldn't mind seeing how Bullock and Clooney are holding together for the ages as they age.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast