+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elysium

Elysium

This movie has gotten pretty good reviews, so I went and saw it yesterday. It was one of the better movies I've seen lately, and to me, the majority of flicks the past year now have been pretty awful.

It has an interesting premise and while on earth, the storyline was really good. Once it moved up to Elysium it started to lose a bit of credence. For example.. no one that has a grenade blow up their face survives lol, and of course their is the seemingly obligatory mano-a-mano fight at the very end between good and evil. Overall though - pretty enjoyable flick.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Re: Elysium

I thought it was good as well, probably the best sci-fi film i've seen this summer with Pacific Rim coming in second.

However, it was not as good as District 9, but you can definitely say the director has talent when it comes to making movies.

Some of the scenes were very cringe worthy, oh, and I loved how when people were breaking into the homes, those droids were not where to be found! Like that was believable lol.

I loved District 9! I keep wishing they'd just do a sequel already - they left it wide open for one.

He wants to, he said he wanted to do some other projects like Elysium before starting on District 10.......maybe in 2016 LOL

I give the director credit for forecasting a very possible future for the human race considering the way things are currently. The movie is filled with scathing commentaries on the future of the health system, illegal immigration, corporations as greedy heartless bastards, and the rich and the possible future of this country and the world if we (citizens) don't take seriously overpopulation, pollution and rampart greed. Spoiler opinion don't read unless you have seen the movie.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    While the story was supposed to a version of David and Goliath (poor David vs rich corporate Goliath) over riding the computer programs of the space station to send down medical help to the whole world does not resolve the problem of too few resources and too many people. The corporations would have served themselves better by not vaccinating or fake vaccinating the population and releasing the plague and other diseases.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

We talked about that after we left the movie. The ending did nothing to help actually alleviate the issues that got them there in the first place. I would imagine though, that due to the poor conditions on earth, that a large part of the population had probably already died off. Of course, given time and the healing, the over population and all the problems that it creates, would be back in time as well. On a completely different tangent, this is in part why I can not stand shows like the Duggars. I refuse to watch it or give any notoriety to people that become *famous* for doing things that are inherently not good for us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I give the director credit for forecasting a very possible future for the human race considering the way things are currently. The movie is filled with scathing commentaries on the future of the health system, illegal immigration, corporations as greedy heartless bastards, and the rich and the possible future of this country and the world if we (citizens) don't take seriously overpopulation, pollution and rampart greed. Spoiler opinion don't read unless you have seen the movie.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    While the story was supposed to a version of David and Goliath (poor David vs rich corporate Goliath) over riding the computer programs of the space station to send down medical help to the whole world does not resolve the problem of too few resources and too many people. The corporations would have served themselves better by not vaccinating or fake vaccinating the population and releasing the plague and other diseases.
    Sounds like my kind of movie as you describe it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I have been watching Wild Justice on NatGeo and it is heart wrenching all the folks even in northern California who pollute the rivers and kill fish and wildlife just to grow marijuana, the folks who dredge for gold and destroy streams and effect the ecosystem and again pollute the rivers and streams, the poachers who illegally shot the boar, deer and kill raptors just to decorate their houses with their wings. I am amazed that we have any wildlife left. It is so sad how human beings destroy their own planet.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread