+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

partial quote:

Pacific Rim is a 2013 American science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro, written by del Toro and Travis Beacham, and starring Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Robert Kazinsky, Max Martini, and Ron Perlman. The film is set in the 2020s, when Earth is under attack by Kaijus, colossal monsters which have emerged from an interdimensional portal on the floor of the Pacific Ocean. To combat the monsters, humanity unites to create the Jaegers (pronounced as "Yeager"): gigantic humanoid mecha, each controlled by two pilots whose minds are joined by a neural bridge. Focusing on the war's later days, the story follows Raleigh Becket, a washed-up Jaeger pilot called out of retirement and teamed with rookie pilot Mako Mori in a last-ditch effort to defeat the Kaijus.

Del Toro envisioned Pacific Rim as an earnest, colorful adventure story, with an "incredibly airy and light feel", in contrast to the "super-brooding, super-dark, cynical summer movie". The director focused on "big, beautiful, sophisticated visuals" and action that would satisfy an adult audience, but has stated his "real hope" is to introduce the kaiju and mecha genres to a generation of children.[3] While the film draws heavily on these genres, it avoids direct references to previous works. Del Toro intended to create something original but "madly in love" with its influences, instilled with "epic beauty" and "operatic grandeur".[4] The final credit dedicates the film to Ray Harryhausen and Ishirō Honda.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Pacific Rim

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 72%

Pacific Rim - Rotten Tomatoes

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse. (c) Warner Bros

Many folks may think of this movie as a copy of Transformers and it is not. It is based on Japanese mecha which is also the basis of Robotech and The Transformers. It is fun. It has good action. It has a nice main story plot and many minor ones. No major "movie stars" but I think that is a good thing so you can concentrate on the over all performance instead of the "star". What I like about director Del Toro is that he designs both the characters and visuals. He arranges a fight scene at night, in the ocean, in the city in pouring down rain and yet you can follow it. There are really some precious moments when a giant robot hand crashes through a downtown office building yet stops short of crushing a desk and just nudges a desktop toy and the toy starts moving. Then when the giant robot gets pushed by the monster through the streets and manages to stop at the edge of the pier then the rear foot of the robot tilts a stanchion and the poor seagull perched on top of it has to fly away.

The Ranger Commander is riveting and plays Luther in the BBC series of the same name. I like the mix up of different nationalities working together and it seems more of a British structure running the Jaeger program. Also like the martial arts aspect of the film. The scenes with the two rival scientists is almost comic relief in an world on the edge of apocalypse. Again brilliant performances. Ron Perlman has an amusing cameo as a black marketer. Stay after the initial credits roll else you will miss the extra scene with him in it. Adding him to the film was a nice touch as he played Hellboy in two films of that name also directed by Del Toro.

I originally didn't want to see this because I also thought it would be a copy of transformers, but I went to see it based on a review I read about it in the newspaper.

I thought the movie was pretty good for the type of movie it is, would like to see a sequel......and I liked how the action scenes were not too long/dragged out like they were in superman!

Quote Originally Posted by snickers View Post
    I originally didn't want to see this because I also thought it would be a copy of transformers, but I went to see it based on a review I read about it in the newspaper.

I thought the movie was pretty good for the type of movie it is, would like to see a sequel......and I liked how the action scenes were not too long/dragged out like they were in superman!
    They are already talking about a sequel. Check out the first link in the first post and the article in wikipedia near the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The Ranger Commander is riveting and plays Luther in the BBC series of the same name. I like the mix up of different nationalities working together and it seems more of a British structure running the Jaeger program.
    Idris Elba is a fantastic actor. I am looking forward to seeing him in this. I hope they give him more to work with in this film that they did in Prometheus!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Idris Elba is a fantastic actor. I am looking forward to seeing him in this. I hope they give him more to work with in this film that they did in Prometheus!
    He has a pretty decent amount to do in this film and he does it well. I know when I was checking out interviews for this film I caught one with him in it and they asked him about him playing Heimdall in the Thor movies and there he did sorta say he wished he had more to do in those films.

They are already talking about doing a sequel to this movie.

FORT Fogey

Saw PR this weekend and really liked it. So nice to not be a franchise story for a change. Good to see Idris Elba in a lead role. Could've done without the quasi love story, as the two actors had no chemistry. Overall, enjoyable movie!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Saw PR this weekend and really liked it. So nice to not be a franchise story for a change. Good to see Idris Elba in a lead role. Could've done without the quasi love story, as the two actors had no chemistry. Overall, enjoyable movie!
    Didn't really see it as a love story more as two injured people who had to learn to work as partners. Since the one partner was female the male could be freer to be himself around her versus being a bad ass soldier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast