+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: World War Z

World War Z

Saw it last night. If you expect it to be anything remotely resembling the book, you will be disappointed. So don't expect the book and enjoy this for what it is, which is awesome. It is an excellent action film from start to finish. Brad Pitt is a new kind of action hero who uses his brain more than his gun. His sidekick is a female Israeli soldier who is actually fully clothed throughout and impressively tough.

It's a new take on both action and zombie films altogether. There's still some good jump-out-of-your-seat moments - as you'd expect from 3D zombies. But overall, this is a smart, very entertaining movie. Definitely highly recommend.
    Punkin likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: World War Z

I also saw this last night and loved it. I was on the edge of my seat most of the movie. I do think this movie deserves a thorough thumbs up.

That being said, I have never read the books and have heard that fans of the book will not like the movie. Also I did listen to a movie reviewer who mentioned that prescreenings were not positive and the last 40 minutes had to be reshot. Well worth in my consideration.

A little FYI:

World War Z - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Premise:

World War Z is a 2006 apocalyptic horror novel by Max Brooks. It is a follow-up to his 2003 book, The Zombie Survival Guide. Rather than a grand overview or narrative, World War Z is a collection of individual accounts, wherein Brooks plays the role of an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission one decade after the story's Zombie War. Other passages record a decade-long war against zombies, as experienced by people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the religious, geo-political, and environmental changes that resulted from the Zombie War.
    Film adaption:

In June 2006, the movie rights for World War Z were secured by Paramount Studios for Brad Pitt's production company, Plan B Entertainment to produce.[28] The screenplay was written by J. Michael Straczynski, with Marc Forster directing, and Pitt starring as the main character, UN employee Gerry Lane.[29][30] Despite being the draft that got the film green-lit, Straczynski's script was tossed aside, so that production, which was to begin at the start of 2009, was delayed while the script was completely re-written by Matthew Michael Carnahan to set the movie in the present, leaving behind much of the premise of the book to make it more of an action film. In April 2010, Paramount Studios renewed its option on the movie's rights. Filming finally commenced mid-2011.[29][31] World War Z was initially slated for release by Paramount Pictures on December 21, 2012.[32] In March 2012, the film's release was pushed back to June 21, 2013.[33]

While I am an avid reader and love movies I also know not to get upset about movie adaptions of books they never follow the book. I always find it a better idea to go see a movie then read the book that way I don't waste my entire film experience my going "that's not in the book, that's not in the book and why did they edit that out?". By seeing the movie first then reading the book I get to enjoy both mediums. I find that if I have read the book before the movie but it's been a few years I can separate the experiences and still enjoy both.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 06-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

My husband is a big time fan of the book. He has read it (and listened to the audio) several times. I have read the book, I enjoyed it, but I can't wait to see the movie. Zombies and a good action plot are all I need. My son saw it and loved it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Not going to see this. Not fond of men who look greasy and unshowered before the action even starts. How's that for superficial?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Not going to see this. Not fond of men who look greasy and unshowered before the action even starts. How's that for superficial?
    What ever happened to Brad Pitt's hair? He had nice long hair in Legends of the Fall. mmmmm.....maybe someone should remind him conditioner can be your friend.
    AZChristian likes this.

I'm a little surprized to read your reviews. I knew nothing about it except what I've seen in TV previews.

I had no idea it was about zombies. The previews make no mention or show of them.

I will not be seeing this one even with good reviews. I have no interest whatsoever in anything having to do with zombies (except for the Thriller music video )

What is the big deal with zombies? When & why on earth did they become a big deal? Lately I keep hearing about zombies, even in books available for my Nook.
    I just don't get the fascination with something so stupid.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I am a long time fan of zombie fiction and movies. I love horror in general. For me what makes the zombie scariest is that it can happen to anyone, a friend, a spouse and there is no reasoning with them. You can't appeal to a zombie to beg for your life, they aren't sexy (which ruined vampires for us horror fans), we don't know if they have a soul or if they are even aware of what they are doing... its a mystery, a very scary one. I also like the survivor aspect of how people react, some have the best brought out in them, some the worse.

Again, they scare me more then any "horror" creatures out there. I enjoy it. Now the book itself wasn't particularly frightening to me, it was unlike the usual zombie story. Its very well written. The different points of from various characters in this War are really interesting. I especially loved the blind Japanese man.
    waywyrd likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm also a huge horror fan. I also love action films, if they're done well. This film was a win-win for me. Brad Pitt was great - his character was down-to-earth, no smartassy one-liners, no choreographed fight scenes. At the same time, the action and suspense was non-stop. It was one of the few times I've been in a movie theatre lately and there was no one yapping or texting during the movie.

Loved WWZ the novel, and I would like to see it filmed in the book's "oral history" form as a series, like Twilight Zone - 30 minutes an episode.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm a little surprized to read your reviews. I knew nothing about it except what I've seen in TV previews.

I had no idea it was about zombies. The previews make no mention or show of them.

I will not be seeing this one even with good reviews. I have no interest whatsoever in anything having to do with zombies (except for the Thriller music video )

What is the big deal with zombies? When & why on earth did they become a big deal? Lately I keep hearing about zombies, even in books available for my Nook.
    I just don't get the fascination with something so stupid.

I thought from the movie trailers it was pretty obvious that it was a zombie movie. I do know that the marketing campaign did emphasize it being an action picture over being a horror film because that would appeal to a larger audience.

I loved this movie, even though I thought the ending was a bit anticlimatic. I also wish they would have explained what caused it and who it originated with. There were a few points I jumped out of my seat. These are the scariest zombies out of any movie I have ever seen--they move really fast, are organized and seem to work together, have super sensitive hearing, and are not easily stopped by bullets (unless you are Annie Oakley and can get a head shot on the first try). I would not want to be around that. One of the best scenes was the big heap of zombies scrambling over each other to get over the wall to Jerusalem. I liked that the female Israeli soldier was tough and capable and they didn't feel the need to make her naked. Brad Pitt was excellent throughout the whole movie. He is definitely showing his age. I agree his hair was bad, but I didn't mind it given the context. If you were in a zombie apocalypse, especially really fast super zombies like these, would you worry about what your hair looked or would you try to get away from them and stay alive?
    Punkin and libgirl2 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast