+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: World War Z

Re: World War Z

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm a little surprized to read your reviews. I knew nothing about it except what I've seen in TV previews.

I had no idea it was about zombies. The previews make no mention or show of them.

I will not be seeing this one even with good reviews. I have no interest whatsoever in anything having to do with zombies (except for the Thriller music video )

What is the big deal with zombies? When & why on earth did they become a big deal? Lately I keep hearing about zombies, even in books available for my Nook.
    I just don't get the fascination with something so stupid.
    Absolutely agree, Miss Scarlet. I've never been a horror fan and that holds true most especially for zombies, vampires, and werewolves. I do have a few exceptions in this genre that I like. An example would be Grimm, which has interesting characters, a little humor, and good storytelling. The new show, Primeval: New World may fall into this category because I find the characters interesting and the monsters are prehistoric predators. There is some basis in science here.
    Punkin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Horror movies have been huge for a long time. But not for me. Just not my cup of tea (or latte).
    I love suspense & scary, but horror leaves me cold. I just find it unnecessary. I'm also just not big on action movies or special effects movies.
    I like to get attached to the story & characters & find special effects & explosions irritating. With that said, I did love the Dark Knight movies. Go figure.

We all have different tastes, so I can see someone liking horror movies. They'd probably not like a lot of movies I like either.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

We just saw it and really enjoyed it. Probably shouldn't have paid the extra for 3D though. I'm not a horror fan, but I compare this to War of the Worlds or Independence Day where there are scary critters (I cover my eyes when needed) but the action and suspense are very exciting. Also, I love Brad Pitt and appreciate that I'm not going be subjected to unnecessary simulated sex scenes 'cause Brad honors his wife by refusing to film such scenes.

Tomorrow we get to go to see Monsters U! Now, that is really worth the extra fee for 3D! And next week, Despicable Me 2! Fortunately we have a couple of young grandkids so we can drag them along and not look out of place at these movies at our age. :>)

What I liked about this movie are the little things, the relationship between Gerry Lane (aka Brad Pitt) and the little boy Tomas and later his relationship with the Israeli soldier. I liked that Segen portrayed a no nonsense female soldier, I liked how they took care of each other without unnecessary sexual overtones.
    Punkin likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Fort Member

I don't mind the odd zombie apocalypse but I think I like it with a sense of humour like Zombieland, Warm Bodies and Shaun of the Dead. This lacked a bit of humour and I found the acting especially by Brad to be well, lazy and some of the plot to be completely dumb but the special effects and makeup were very good but overall I was disappointed. I saw it the same day I saw Now you see me and I think I am becoming overly critical lately as that disappointed me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Absolutely agree, Miss Scarlet. I've never been a horror fan and that holds true most especially for zombies, vampires, and werewolves. I do have a few exceptions in this genre that I like. An example would be Grimm, which has interesting characters, a little humor, and good storytelling. The new show, Primeval: New World may fall into this category because I find the characters interesting and the monsters are prehistoric predators. There is some basis in science here.
    Vampires and Werewolves are more supernatural than horror. Saw and Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween are horror fillms. Primeval: New World is science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm a little surprized to read your reviews. I knew nothing about it except what I've seen in TV previews.

I had no idea it was about zombies. The previews make no mention or show of them.

I will not be seeing this one even with good reviews. I have no interest whatsoever in anything having to do with zombies (except for the Thriller music video )

What is the big deal with zombies? When & why on earth did they become a big deal? Lately I keep hearing about zombies, even in books available for my Nook.
    I just don't get the fascination with something so stupid.
    Just a bit of a theory here. I read science fiction, paranormal, romance and fantasy. Science fiction and fantasy writers could never keep up with my reading appetite so a friend suggested romance novels as hundreds are penned and published every month and there is a huge variety to pick from. I noticed that there is a sub genre of romance books called paranormal mainly populated by authors who write about vampires and this was way before Twilight was even a gleam in Stephanie Myers eye.

Paranormal romance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paranormal romance is a sub-genre of both romantic fiction and speculative fiction. Paranormal romance focuses on romantic love and includes elements beyond the range of scientific explanation, blending together themes from the speculative fiction genres of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Paranormal romance may range from traditional category romances, such as those published by Harlequin Mills & Boon, with a paranormal setting to stories where the main emphasis is on a science fiction or fantasy based plot with a romantic subplot included. Common hallmarks are romantic relationships between humans and vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, and other entities of a fantastic or otherworldly nature.

Beyond the more prevalent themes involving vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, or time travel, paranormal romances can also include books featuring characters with psychic abilities, like telekinesis or telepathy. Paranormal romance has its roots in Gothic fiction. Its most recent revival has been spurred by turn of the 21st century technology, e.g. the internet and electronic publishing. Paranormal romances are one of the fastest growing trends in the romance genre.[1]
    I noticed that while vampires are extremely popular and many authors jumped on that bandwagon other authors wanted to distinguish themselves so they started writing about werewolves, then other shapeshifters, then folks with psychic abilities, then witches then mixing the normal paranormal genre with fantasy and aspects of mythology. Finally when all that had been exhausted that's when zombies reared their heads in the publishing world. Then came "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" a 2009 zombie parody novel by Seth Grahame-Smith. Then all these romance authors were writing series about zombies and than came the graphic novel "The Walking Dead". Now we all know TV executives are extremely lacking in any kind of imagination so they buy the film rights to any promising book or book series and some but not all become either TV series or films. Recent examples are True Blood, The Walking Dead, World War Z, Twilight, Harry Potter etc... I think also the ePublishing world has also contributed to budding authors being able to reach a much wider audience and viola you have a huge fan base who loves the stuff and lots and lots of stories to chose from.

I also go to the movies to as a form of escapism from life, from the commute to work and back, from dealing with crappy customers and co-workers to pretend that I am the hero in the movie and able to overcome the bad guy and save the world. It refreshes me to be able to deal with the real world.

Oh, BTW they are making a movie of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies".

The above may not really explain why zombies are currently so popular it maybe also related to how people are feeling about the economy and how it is effecting them but I how it helps explain it a bit.

World War Z has earned over half a billion dollars world wide after being released over 9 weeks ago.

Almost finished listening to the World War Z audiobook. It is simply brilliant. Written as if there had actually been a World War Z and it is a collection of first person accounts of what happened to various people all over the world. I was tearing up quite a bit. I can also see how they took bits and pieces and made a movie out of it.

I saw this in Paris while we were there in the summer. I generally liked it, jumped more than a few times and confess I hid behind my hands once or twice. I like Brad Pitt, don't care what his hair looks like However, having said that, towards the end of the movie my girls and I were reduced to laughter during scenes that were anything but funny. The scene where Pitt is locked in the room with all the diseases, and the one zombie is chattering his teeth at the door, while another one is constantly walking into the wall and bumping her head. I don't know, by that point it was all getting a bit ridiculous so I began to find it funny rather than scary. The zombies moved stinking fast though. I'd never survive!

I loved the Israeli soldier. She was a great female character.

I really am puzzled, though, by what would make Pitt stop and count at the very beginning (something that would prove to be a MAJOR plot point). At that point people didn't know what the heck was happening, was it a terrorist attack, etc. He's trying to escape with his kids, but for some inane reason he stops, turns around, and actually thinks to COUNT so that he knows exactly how long it takes to turn into a zombie after you are bitten? I understand why they did this from a movie-making perspective, but I don't think for a minute that someone in his situation would actually do that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast