+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Man of Steel

FORT Fogey

Re: Man of Steel

Saw the movie over the weekend, and really liked it. This version of Superman is definitely more bada** with a dose of macho. It was refreshing to see a worthy adversary in Zod. I hated to see him kill Zod, but Zod's DNA made it the only choice. He really struggled with the decision, so appreciated that he valued the life he was about to take. Interesting how the very foundation of that advanced civilization was its undoing.

I love Amy Adams, but she and Henry had no chemistry! I've never seen him in anything except Count of Monte Cristo, so I have no idea what kind of romantic lead he'd play. I know Amy's got the acting chops, but something between these two just didn't work. Oh well, no movie is perfect. But, I did love the stellar supporting cast!

Oh, and Clark Kent looked so much like the Smallville Clark Kent with that big grin at the end of the movie

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Because the actual machine was the one in the ocean. And no one else but him was going to get there as fast. That one had to be taken down before they could launch the pod into the one in Metropolis, opening back up the Phantom Zone to send them into it.

Personally, I really enjoyed the movie.
    But this is Superman we're talking about. Supreme strength and speed so extreme that he's second only to Flash. He could destroy the machine in the city to stop it and save countless lives, then speed up to the ocean and reach the other to destroy it in a matter of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    But this is Superman we're talking about. Supreme strength and speed so extreme that he's second only to Flash. He could destroy the machine in the city to stop it and save countless lives, then speed up to the ocean and reach the other to destroy it in a matter of minutes.
    I think we are seeing a Man of Steel who has been hiding who he is and what he is all his life when has he ever tested his abilities to know he can do what you wanted him to do? He just learned to fly just a few days, weeks a month or so according to this movie.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Because if the machine in Metropolis was destroyed then how would they be able to achieve the singularity of the phantom drives that forced all the bad guys back into the phantom zone?

I understand that you didn't like the movie and you have every right not to have. But I don't think this movie strayed that far off with regard to Superman trying to help the humans. In fact they focused multiple times on him leaving the fight to try and save a human (and getting his butt kicked even further for doing it). What I also think was conveyed so well is that even though he was basically treated like crap by humans his entire life, he was still willing to sacrifice his life to protect and save them.

I thought the movie was great. In fact I commented to my husband that I really appreciated how they re-did some of the story this time. It made more sense to me and I finally understood some things - like why Zod was doing what he was doing. Yes, he was still the bad guy but at least he had a motivation and he wasn't evil for evil's sake. I also, quite frankly, really liked that Lois knew who he was. I always thought that was such a stupid and bizarre part of the older movies.

Now, I see why people would like the movie, don't get me wrong. But as a comic book fan, seeing the level of destruction and disregard for civilian life from Superman himself, this just is't the Superman I've been reading about for so long, which made me hate the movie. My friend who works at a comic book shop hated it even more. Even comic book writer Mark Waid disliked the whole destruction thing to be point of being "brokenhearted", I believed he said, and he's known for writing "Kingdon Come", which is hailed as one of the best Superman stories of all time.

So eyah, I see why people would like it, but it was just a punch in the gut for me.
    Florimel and KatesMom like this.

Wasn't sure if this was where to put it - but this weekend at Comic-Con they announced that there will be a sequel, with most of the original cast returning. Apparently the sequel will also involve Batman, who will be a new cast (as opposed to Christian Bale).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123