+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Man of Steel

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,393

    Re: Man of Steel

    Went to see the movie tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it. The only criticism I have and it is with all the Superman movies, I have no use for Lois Lane and would be happy to see her gone.
    There's no place like home!

  2. #12
    a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Third Star On The Right
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,313

    Re: Man of Steel

    I don't think I will go to see this. From what I've heard they broke the biggest Superman taboo and he actually kills someone. In 75 years of Superman that's an unnecessary first.
    Florimel and Starbucks880 like this.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey Starbucks880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Man of Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Went to see the movie tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it. The only criticism I have and it is with all the Superman movies, I have no use for Lois Lane and would be happy to see her gone.
    That is true. I like Amy Adams, but if you took her out of the movie, then really it would not have made a difference. I liked Michael Shannon and Russell Crowe--both were perfect for their roles. It was a decent movie, but it needed about 30 minutes shaved from it. It was too long, and not one of those movies that really had any justification for that time length.

  4. #14
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Man of Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by gracie View Post
    I don't think I will go to see this. From what I've heard they broke the biggest Superman taboo and he actually kills someone. In 75 years of Superman that's an unnecessary first.
    That is one of the reasons that I think this movie absolutely sucks. No sense of discovery, completely unimportant secondary characters, and not a superhero people can look up to. Superman doesn't just kill "someone", he actively kills thousands of people. The levels of utter destruction he doles out and his complete disregard for innocent civilians make this movie a complete travesty. In The Avengers, the heroes did their best to avoid destruction and we saw them actively save civilians and aid the police in leading them to safety. Superman does the complete opposite. As a comic book fan, this movie is infuriating to me.

  5. #15
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,859

    Re: Man of Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    That is one of the reasons that I think this movie absolutely sucks. No sense of discovery, completely unimportant secondary characters, and not a superhero people can look up to. Superman doesn't just kill "someone", he actively kills thousands of people. The levels of utter destruction he doles out and his complete disregard for innocent civilians make this movie a complete travesty. In The Avengers, the heroes did their best to avoid destruction and we saw them actively save civilians and aid the police in leading them to safety. Superman does the complete opposite. As a comic book fan, this movie is infuriating to me.
    I think you have Superman confused with the Kryptonians.

    Also I saw plenty of destruction in Avengers. When an Alien Army invades Earth I don't see how you can hold Superman accountable for all the civilians killed.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 06-30-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #16
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,859

    Re: Man of Steel

    Liked the film but I did think it could have used some tighter editing. It felt a bit too long.

    Luv'ed the costume design. When I heard they were redesigning Superman's outfit, I thought "how dare they " it is iconic but I liked what they did and Henry Cavell does fill it out quite nicely.

    Luv'ed the Kryptonian warrior armour, the councillor's ropes and the set design. I liked who ever did the design for the planet Krypton and I luv'ed Jor El's mode of transportation, a double winged dragon.

    Henry Cavell also has a good range with his face and does appear different as Clark vs Superman.

    There is a very nice interview with Amy Adams, Henry Cavell and Russell Crowe on The Graham Norton Show on BBC America.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #17
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Man of Steel

    No, I am certainly talking about Superman. A fight breaks out in Smallville, main street, lots of destruction. This despite the fact that they're surrounded by miles upon miles of farmland where Superman could take the fight to without letting any civilians get hurt. Then those machines terraforming everything. One is in Metropolis causing immense destruction and death, the other one is in the middle of the ocean. And Superman chooses to go destroy the one in the middle of the ocean, rather than going to destroy the one causing so much death and destruction in the middle of a city. Finally, there's the final fight with Zod. Does Superman at least attempt to take the fight someplace else? Nope, he and Zod battle it out right in the middle of the already smashed up city, making the destruction worse, smashing through buildings and tearing them to rubble, buildings which could likely still have people inside them. Top it off with Superman killing Zod, and it's just the worse icing on an already bad cake.

    Now, yes, Avengers did have destruction in there, but the team managed to keep it contain within some city blocks, not the entirety of the city. We see Captain America help policemen by devising a plan to keep civilians safe and away from danger, we see him save a large crowd of people from a couple of those aliens, we see people trapped in a bus being heped out of it. We see the heroes try their best to prevent destruction, such as Hulk running through a building, out of it and taking down a huge creature that was just about to take said building full of people down. But yes, there are deaths, and in the end of the movie, with that news montage, showing a part with a wall that has pictures of it as a tribute to the lives lost in that attack. Man of Steel does absolutely nothing like that. It's just wanton destruction with Superman showing little to no regard to civilian lives. This movie infuriated me so much that I actually consider the Green Lantern movie to be better, and that one was a train wreck.
    Florimel likes this.

  8. #18
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,859

    Re: Man of Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    No, I am certainly talking about Superman. A fight breaks out in Smallville, main street, lots of destruction. This despite the fact that they're surrounded by miles upon miles of farmland where Superman could take the fight to without letting any civilians get hurt. Then those machines terraforming everything. One is in Metropolis causing immense destruction and death, the other one is in the middle of the ocean. And Superman chooses to go destroy the one in the middle of the ocean, rather than going to destroy the one causing so much death and destruction in the middle of a city. Finally, there's the final fight with Zod. Does Superman at least attempt to take the fight someplace else? Nope, he and Zod battle it out right in the middle of the already smashed up city, making the destruction worse, smashing through buildings and tearing them to rubble, buildings which could likely still have people inside them. Top it off with Superman killing Zod, and it's just the worse icing on an already bad cake.

    Now, yes, Avengers did have destruction in there, but the team managed to keep it contain within some city blocks, not the entirety of the city. We see Captain America help policemen by devising a plan to keep civilians safe and away from danger, we see him save a large crowd of people from a couple of those aliens, we see people trapped in a bus being heped out of it. We see the heroes try their best to prevent destruction, such as Hulk running through a building, out of it and taking down a huge creature that was just about to take said building full of people down. But yes, there are deaths, and in the end of the movie, with that news montage, showing a part with a wall that has pictures of it as a tribute to the lives lost in that attack. Man of Steel does absolutely nothing like that. It's just wanton destruction with Superman showing little to no regard to civilian lives. This movie infuriated me so much that I actually consider the Green Lantern movie to be better, and that one was a train wreck.
    Since Kal El was not raised a warrior, and really has no military background, and has spent his entire life hiding who and what he is and learning how to control his powers and Zod was trained from birth to fight and strategize and lead people exactly how was Kal El supposed to do all that you expected him to do especially when there was only one of him and at least 20 or 30 experienced Kryptonian soldiers?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #19
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,078

    Re: Man of Steel

    Well, point taken, but if they're after him, he can just flee from populated areas so they'll go after him. The terraforming machine, he could've just stayed in Metropolis to take that one down and then do the one in the ocean, and I don't get why he'd go for the ocean first. Finally, in the end, it's just him and Zod, there is absolutely no reason for them to fight in the city. Ultimately, the reason I hate this movie so much is because I do not see this character as Superman. Superman, I see him not as the hero people can familiarize themselves with, but as the hero people would aspire to be like. He's the boy scout, the guy who stops a stroller with a baby that just went rolling down a hill, or the guy who'll scoop a kitten out of a tree to give it back to its owner. This Superman was just nothing like that, ergo I can't see him as Superman. I understand there might be changes from the comic to the big screen, but this one took it too far.

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: Man of Steel

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Well, point taken, but if they're after him, he can just flee from populated areas so they'll go after him. The terraforming machine, he could've just stayed in Metropolis to take that one down and then do the one in the ocean, and I don't get why he'd go for the ocean first. Finally, in the end, it's just him and Zod, there is absolutely no reason for them to fight in the city. Ultimately, the reason I hate this movie so much is because I do not see this character as Superman. Superman, I see him not as the hero people can familiarize themselves with, but as the hero people would aspire to be like. He's the boy scout, the guy who stops a stroller with a baby that just went rolling down a hill, or the guy who'll scoop a kitten out of a tree to give it back to its owner. This Superman was just nothing like that, ergo I can't see him as Superman. I understand there might be changes from the comic to the big screen, but this one took it too far.
    Because the actual machine was the one in the ocean. And no one else but him was going to get there as fast. That one had to be taken down before they could launch the pod into the one in Metropolis, opening back up the Phantom Zone to send them into it.

    Personally, I really enjoyed the movie.
    Bearcata likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.