+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Hero or Villain

More heroes this time:

Daniel Day Lewis - The Last of the Mohigans
    Charleston Heston - Moses

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I watched the show tonight and I'd have to agree with the number one choices for hero and villain, Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) and Hannibal Lecture (Silence of the Lambs). Some of the others on the list I wouldn't have thought of in a million years, but they all fit when you think about it. The Terminator made both lists which is probably why they had Arnold host the show. You can check out the whole list at the AFI site if you want to. It's pretty interesting.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Fade to black
    Villians...

Kevin Spacey in Seven
    Gary Oldman in True Romance
    Sam Rockwell in The Green Mile

Heroes...

Mel Gibson in Payback
    Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
    Guy Pearce in Memento
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I watched the show....personally I would have moved Hans Solo up and made Indiana Jones number 1 but that is just me. Hannibel Lector was the number 1 villian in my book so they got that right. I would have moved Darth Vader up also. A. Finch just didn't do it for me as number one hero....but it is a good movie. I enjoyed the show. I was amazed at how many women made it into the top spots for both hero and villian.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Yeah, I didn't buy Atticus Finch as the #1 hero, either. In fact, my wife said at the end, "Sometimes I wonder why we watch these things. We never agree with their picks for #1." As they went to commercial before revealing the #1's, we thought the #1 hero would have to be pretty damn heroic to beat both Indiana Jones AND James Bond.

I wasn't too peeved at who they picked for the top 3, but I would've re-ordered them:

Heroes: Indiana Jones, James Bond, Atticus Finch
    Villains: Darth Vader, Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates

Not sold on either of my #3s, but I'm just re-arranging their picks. Darth Vader is the very definition of villain, I think. And I wish they hadn't shown any clips at all from Episode II. That's completely irrelevant to the outstanding villainy of Darth Vader.

One interesting point made by my wife: she wondered how the list would change if you removed heroes and villains who were based on existing literature. Just straight screenplay heroes and villains. Right away, you'd lose Finch, Bond, and Lecter from that list above.

Anyway, the point of the show is to get people talking, and my wife and I did. So I guess it worked.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Finch/Lecter Top Heroes/Villians List

From CNN...

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Atticus Finch from "To Kill a Mockingbird" beat out an army of swashbuckling idols for the top spot on the American Film Institute's list of top screen heroes. Hannibal Lecter from "The Silence of the Lambs" chewed up the competition to lead the list of film villains.

The institute unveiled its ranking Tuesday night of the top good and bad guys in American film on the CBS special "AFI's 100 Years ... 100 Heroes & Villains."

Finch, played by Gregory Peck in the 1962 classic, was a faultlessly noble widower raising a daughter and son amid Southern racial unrest as he defended a black man accused of raping a white woman.

"I think Atticus Finch just represents the goodness all of us want to see in others and feel in ourselves," said Jean Picker Firstenburg, the institute's director. "This is a hard time in human history, and we look for the bright spots that show us the way."

Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was No. 2 on the heroes list, and Sean Connery's James Bond from "Dr. No" came in third.

Lecter, played by Anthony Hopkins in the 1991 thriller plus the sequel "Hannibal" and the prequel "Red Dragon," was a delectably fiendish serial killer who boasted about eating a man's liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) of "Psycho" was second on the bad-guy list, and Darth Vader (played by David Prowse and voiced by James Earl Jones) placed third for "The Empire Strikes Back."

Arnold Schwarzenegger, host of the AFI special, was the only actor to place essentially the same character on both lists. His malevolent cyborg from "The Terminator" was No. 22 among villains, while his nice-guy cyborg in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" placed 48th among heroes.

"I am absolutely ecstatic about it," Schwarzenegger said. "To say you are one of the 50 favorite villains and one of the 50 favorite heroes in the history of American motion pictures, that is unbelievable, and I felt very honored."

Rounding out the top 10 list of heroes, in order: Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), "Casablanca"; Will Kane (Gary Cooper), "High Noon"; Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster), "The Silence of the Lambs"; Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone), "Rocky"; Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), "Aliens"; George Bailey (James Stewart), "It's a Wonderful Life"; and T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole), "Lawrence of Arabia."

The rest of the top 10 villains, in order: the Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton), "The Wizard of Oz"; Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher), "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"; Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore), "It's a Wonderful Life"; Alex Forrest (Glenn Close), "Fatal Attraction"; Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), "Double Indemnity"; Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair), "The Exorcist"; and the Queen (voiced by Lucille LaVerne), "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

The 100 heroes and villains were chosen from 400 character nominees on ballots sent to 1,500 actors, directors, critics and others in the movie business.

The heroes list included one dog (Lassie in "Lassie Come Home," No. 39), two comic-book heroes (Superman in the 1978 movie version, No. 26, and Batman in the 1989 film, No. 46), and loads of real-life figures.

Along with T.E. Lawrence, heroes based on real people included Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson) in "Schindler's List," No. 13; Norma Rae Webster (Sally Field) in "Norma Rae," No. 15; Mahatma Gandhi (Ben Kingsley) in "Gandhi," No. 21; Gen. George Patton (George C. Scott) in "Patton," No. 29; and Erin Brockovich (Julia Roberts) in "Erin Brockovich," No. 31.

The villains list contained a range of non-humans, including the HAL 9000 computer in "2001: A Space Odyssey," No. 13; the murderous extraterrestrial in "Alien," No. 14; the shark in "Jaws," No. 18; and the Martians in "The War of the Worlds," No. 27.

Humanity as a whole made the list: "Man," whose encroachment menaced forest wildlife in "Bambi," ranked as villain No. 20.
    For the complete list of heroes and villians, click here.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not into the whole Hollywood "we're so enlightened" crap. But "Man" really bugged me as a villain.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I thought it was funny

I also got a kick out of the fact that the ballot was sent to actors, directors, critics and others in the movie business.

I would like to have seen a different group of folks vote ....
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Man? I'm with you, Paulie!!

Anybody else find it a little odd that Obi-Wan Kenobi & Han Solo both made it onto the heroes list, but Luke Skywalker didn't? A little ironic.

And....what about Neo as a hero!?

I just realized he isn't on there!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast