+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Star Trek - Into the Darkness - 2013

Star Trek - Into the Darkness - 2013

The long awaited sequel to JJ Abrams reimagined Star Trek 2009 film. Liked it? Yes and No. I unfortunately listed to a review of the movie on the radio before I saw it and that sort of messed up my enjoyment of the film. Never, never listen or read a review of a film right before you see it. I do occasionally check out the percentage of likes of critics and viewers on Rotten Tomatoes as I feel that is a better indicator of what the film is like. Overall it is not a bad sequel but once the twist is revealed you do feel as if the writers took the easy road out. That being said I like the look and feel of the film the relationships and dialog between the characters is the absolute best part about this film. What amazes me is that several of my co-workers who grew up on Star Trek and are fans of the series just don't get that while this franchise is set before Gene Rodenberry's initial series and the movies it is an alternative timeline. Nero's coming into the past and killing Kirk's father was a clue as well as Captain Pike being Kirk's mentor and the planet Vulcan blowing up killing Spock's mother in the process. Even after seeing this movie my co-workers don't get it. I just hope for the third film JJ Abrams does a 180 and gives us a fresh new story.

Yes, go see it, it is fun. Spock and Uhura are great together and Simon Peg as Scotty is always a joy to watch.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Star Trek - Into the Darkness - 2013

I'm all about Bones.. I was a HUGE Deforest Kelly fan, and Lil Bones is just as good!
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I enjoyed it. I had read rumors of who Benedict Cumberbatch (is that the best name EVER?) was going to play, but had then read denials, so I was surprised at that twist in the movie. I loved that they reworked familiar scenes, with different characters involved in similar scenarios.

I do love the casting of these "younger" Star Trek characters . . . but I'm not fond of the Uhura/Spock relationship. Not sure why, I just don't think it works.
    FireWoman likes this.

In the prior movie, it was Uhura who brought out Spock's humaness, his vulnerability. I can't wait for the DVD so I can see where they are taking that relationship, as well as crushing on Chris Pine once again.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I enjoyed it. I had read rumors of who Benedict Cumberbatch (is that the best name EVER?) was going to play, but had then read denials, so I was surprised at that twist in the movie. I loved that they reworked familiar scenes, with different characters involved in similar scenarios.

I do love the casting of these "younger" Star Trek characters . . . but I'm not fond of the Uhura/Spock relationship. Not sure why, I just don't think it works.
    That is the point that so many of the reviews I read said was the weakest part of the story..go figure.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I enjoyed it. I had read rumors of who Benedict Cumberbatch (is that the best name EVER?) was going to play, but had then read denials, so I was surprised at that twist in the movie.
    I've never seen him before, and fell in love with his voice during this movie. I'm now watching Parade's End, and then will watch Sherlock. As long he's talking...I'm there!
    AZChristian likes this.

Saw this with my Dad today and loved it. I can't wait to see what happens in the next movie.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

There is another in the works? YAY
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I've never seen him before, and fell in love with his voice during this movie. I'm now watching Parade's End, and then will watch Sherlock. As long he's talking...I'm there!
    Word of advice: Don't bother watching the 2011 version of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy." That movie is so dreadful (in spite of a stellar cast) that it's not worth it just to see Cumberbatch. I kept thinking, "Okay . . . it's going to get better any minute now." It never did. It's the first time I've seen about 12 people get up and leave within the first 30 minutes of a movie.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    There is another in the works? YAY
    I am assuming so based on comments I have read elsewhere. I haven't seen official confirmation yet though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast