+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Star Trek - Into the Darkness - 2013

Re: Star Trek - Into the Darkness - 2013

<------------ As you can see, I'm a huge Sherlock fan, so watching Benedict in this role made me squeeee... He was fantastic, and if you like him in this movie you will love him in Sherlock. He is just so dreamy, honestly, and was such a delicious bad guy. Kirk was pretty awesome as well, and I loved Scotty. Was that the same actor who was in Shaun of the Dead?

The movie made me jump many times, and the effects were great. I would definitely see it again! Glad to hear there will be a third movie. I have to confess, I thought for sure the Klingons would come into play at the end, but I guess they didn't figure out the Federation had been on their planet?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    <------------ As you can see, I'm a huge Sherlock fan, so watching Benedict in this role made me squeeee... He was fantastic, and if you like him in this movie you will love him in Sherlock. He is just so dreamy, honestly, and was such a delicious bad guy. Kirk was pretty awesome as well, and I loved Scotty. Was that the same actor who was in Shaun of the Dead?

The movie made me jump many times, and the effects were great. I would definitely see it again! Glad to hear there will be a third movie. I have to confess, I thought for sure the Klingons would come into play at the end, but I guess they didn't figure out the Federation had been on their planet?
    Yes, Simon Pegg plays Scotty.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Love me some Simon Pegg... my favourite of his is Hot Fuzz. He definitely got more air time this episode and I like that, though I've never known what to make of his oyster-face sidekick.

My 13 year old is currently borrowing the first season of the original Trek, and we just watched the episode with the Gorn, (The Arena, classic!). I don't remember the original series as well as one might think, so it has helped with references like when Bones mentioned helping birth a Gorn, I was able to picture it.

Firewoman, I was a kid when I first watched re-runs of the original series and Kelley was my first little girl crush! I have a healthy adult crush on Urban so that's weird or ironic or whatever, I guess.

I enjoyed this second installment but not nearly as much as the original... it may have been my mood, or too high of expectations (don't wait so long for the next sequel, Abrams!) but I loved the first better.
    Cumberbatch made an excellent Khan. I love him in Sherlock and love that Sherlock and John are getting parts in all my favourite nerd movies (Star Trek and Hobbit).
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

The Trouble with Tribbles! Now we know how they became multiplying trouble during that five year voyage...an infusion of Khan blood.

I, too, loved the references and I like that new Spock was able to gain information about Khan from old Spock.

The only character that left me shaking my head was the new girl - daughter of the Admiral, who snuck onboard. Her British accent was out of place since no explanation was given why she had one and her father didn't. Also her delivery of lines is quite stilted and she seems as though she should have been on the TV show, which was sometimes awkward and not in a slick movie.

I do like how the Uhura/Spock relationship has taken a "human" turn with a squabble and that scene with Spock and the dying Jim made me tear up.

The second movie wasn't the surprise the first movie provided, but it still kept me on the edge of my seat and, once again, I was in their universe.

I loved the ending where Jim recites the lines that always opened the TV show. That was a nice homage.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Love me some Simon Pegg... my favourite of his is Hot Fuzz. He definitely got more air time this episode and I like that, though I've never known what to make of his oyster-face sidekick.

My 13 year old is currently borrowing the first season of the original Trek, and we just watched the episode with the Gorn, (The Arena, classic!). I don't remember the original series as well as one might think, so it has helped with references like when Bones mentioned helping birth a Gorn, I was able to picture it.

Firewoman, I was a kid when I first watched re-runs of the original series and Kelley was my first little girl crush! I have a healthy adult crush on Urban so that's weird or ironic or whatever, I guess.

I enjoyed this second installment but not nearly as much as the original... it may have been my mood, or too high of expectations (don't wait so long for the next sequel, Abrams!) but I loved the first better.
    Cumberbatch made an excellent Khan. I love him in Sherlock and love that Sherlock and John are getting parts in all my favourite nerd movies (Star Trek and Hobbit).
    I can't get enough of Simon Pegg as well!
    Was I the only one yelling "Run, Fatboy, Run!" as he was running through the engineering room? Hee hee!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I do like how the Uhura/Spock relationship has taken a "human" turn with a squabble and that scene with Spock and the dying Jim made me tear up.
    Have you watched The Wrath of Khan? I was literally laughing out loud during this scene due to the parallels! My husband thought I was losing it because he didn't remember the earlier movie.

I don't know. The only one I remember from the earlier franchise was #4 - the whale in San Francisco set in the sixties.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have come to the realization that I will pretty much watch anything that has Benedict Cumberbach in it. Can't wait for Sherlock season 3 to come out in January. I've seen a trailer and it sent all of us in our house into a frenzy of anticipation! We plan to watch the first two seasons again before the first episode of S3.

If you liked Benedict in this movie, try to find Sherlock (should be on Netflix).

It seems like Benedict is in everything these days, and rightfully so. He's a wonderful actor. I'm eager to see him as Smaug in the The Hobbit #2.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I don't know. The only one I remember from the earlier franchise was #4 - the whale in San Francisco set in the sixties.
    I'm going to put this info in spoilers so I don't inadvertently spoil something for people who haven't seen Into Darkness yet.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    At the end of The Wrath of Khan (Star Trek #2) Spock has saved the Enterprise by restoring the warp drive and is trapped in an engine compartment room with clear walls dying of radiation poisoning. As Spock is dying, Kirk is outside the room talking to him and they have a short tear-jerking conversation. I cannot remember if it happens at this point, or in another part of the movie, but somewhere in there Kirk yells "Khaaaaaaaan!" (which is probably one of the most memorable "quotes" in all of the original movies)! IMO, this scene from #2 has a much stronger impact because Spock was dead. They had a funeral and launched his body into space. The viewer doesn't know what (if anything) will happen to him until the next movie in the franchise The Search for Spock. Unfortunately for me, when I watched Into Darkness I realized as Kirk was dying how they were going to get him back. The "comedy" of the reversed roles paired with the fact that I knew he wasn't going to be dead for long removed the sadness of the scene for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12