+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 362
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

  1. #321
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,873

    Academy Awards 2013

    The funny thing about it is, back during her "Princess Diaries" days, Anne was very well liked. Something happened between then and now to where the likability factor has gone down. When and why did she become so disingenuous??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  2. #322
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24,810

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I just read that Anne Hathaway rehearsed her acceptance speech to be more likable. Apparently she's insecure about the way some of her other speeches have been criticized, and wanted people to like her more. I wonder how long it will take her to realize that being genuine always comes across as likable. Working to hard to be liked is what makes a person ... well ... unlikable. I doubt Jennifer Lawrence rehearsed to set a tone for her speeches. THAT is why people love her!
    I agree. Although, I will wait and see how long Jennifer Lawrence lasts - she is the flavour of the month, and loved. But I am not sure how far her acting ability will go.I need to see more of her. Anne had an interview in the UK which was hilarious, she needs to be herself more
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  3. #323
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,370

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Anne's dress seriously looked like something that I as a seamstress could have made with eight dollar fabric from the remnant bin at my local fabric shop. It was a hot a$$ mess. The colour sucked, the fabric sucked and the style sucked. It looked like some tacky bridesmaid dress in a low budget wedding.

    Seriously, people get so caught up in the name of the designer that the desire for good taste and style goes out the window. I couldn't care less if Dior designed that gown. Dior, shmior. It was a disaster. I'd rather wear a dress of a no name designer and looking smashing in it, than to wear something that ugly and have to gush all over the red carpet telling everyone it was designed by Dior in order to justify wearing it in the first place.
    COULDN'T agree with you more!

    The extent of my sewing skills began and ended with the apron and towel I made in 8th-grade Home Ec class, CENTURIES ago.

    Having said that, I can and will tell you that even MY no-sewing self could've made that dress Anne had on. And yep, I'll also tell you that I've seen bridesmaids' dresses at MORE than one low-budget wedding that put her Oscar dress to shame.

    People get caught up in a designer's name? Sure, they do. I don't care WHO you are, or HOW long you've been in business, NOBODY, NO designer, is going to hit it out of the park with every design, every time. That DOESN'T happen. For example, Dior designed THIS dress. Well, Dior ALSO happens to be the designer of that hideous, BACKWARDS, white evening pantsuit that Celine Dion wore to the Oscars several years back.

    So, THERE YA GO.

    Styling?

    I've already mentioned the backwards necklace. Maybe that was a necklace she was planning to wear with her ORIGINAL dress choice, and just HAD to wear it. So instead of doing a Theron and eschewing the necklace altogether, wearing some knockout diamond studs, and perhaps opting for a killer diamond bracelet or two, she (or whoever) came up with the idea of wearing a WRONG necklace (for THAT dress, that is) in the WRONG way. Frankly, she looked like she'd just stepped off the Crazy Town bus, rocking that neckpiece like she did.

    Hair?

    Sure, we all know she's growing it out. But, she could've done something different with it, other than the usual bangs swept across the forehead. She could've combed/brushed it back. She could've side-parted it, and left the forehead clear with perhaps a bit of height on top, etc. Again, she should've checked out CT, who absolutely PROVED that short hair CAN look spectacular if it's worked with properly.

    Just sayin'.

    JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 02-26-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

  4. #324
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,397

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    JackMAN . . . as in ALL MAN.

    (Sorry, I love him too much to have his name showing up incorrectly. LOL.)
    So sorry for the typo. Of course I know it's Hugh Jackman. He is one of my all time favorites.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  5. #325
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,010

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I agree. Although, I will wait and see how long Jennifer Lawrence lasts - she is the flavour of the month, and loved. But I am not sure how far her acting ability will go.I need to see more of her. Anne had an interview in the UK which was hilarious, she needs to be herself more
    Well, she's already had two Best Actress nominations and she's only 22. She was amazingly good in Winter's Bone. I think she's got staying power. She doesn't seem to care about the fame as much as she cares about the work. Her hesitancy over taking THG movies shows that she's not as interested in being a big star as she is about doing good work. I can't blame her for taking THG or the X-Men movie. I'd take them too - they'd be so much fun and they're strong roles.

    If it's true that Anne Hathaway rehearsed her speech, she obviously doesn't understand why people were bagging on her. It's that saccharine, overly rehearsed, but SO surprised she won thing that has people rolling their eyes. There have been plenty of surprises over the years at the Oscars where someone beat a nom who was almost assured the win. I almost wish Anne had lost this year. It might teach her a little humility.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #326
    Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    COULDN'T agree with you more!

    The extent of my sewing skills began and ended with the apron and towel I made in 8th-grade Home Ec class, CENTURIES ago.

    Having said that, I can and will tell you that even MY no-sewing self could've made that dress Anne had on. And yep, I'll also tell you that I've seen bridesmaids' dresses at MORE than one low-budget wedding that put her Oscar dress to shame.

    People get caught up in a designer's name? Sure, they do. I don't care WHO you are, or HOW long you've been in business, NOBODY, NO designer, is going to hit it out of the park with every design, every time. That DOESN'T happen. For example, Dior designed THIS dress. Well, Dior ALSO happens to be the designer of that hideous, BACKWARDS, white evening pantsuit that Celine Dion wore to the Oscars several years back.

    So, THERE YA GO.

    Styling?

    I've already mentioned the backwards necklace. Maybe that was a necklace she was planning to wear with her ORIGINAL dress choice, and just HAD to wear it. So instead of doing a Theron and eschewing the necklace altogether, wearing some knockout diamond studs, and perhaps opting for a killer diamond bracelet or two, she (or whoever) came up with the idea of wearing a WRONG necklace (for THAT dress, that is) in the WRONG way. Frankly, she looked like she'd just stepped off the Crazy Town bus, rocking that neckpiece like she did.

    Hair?

    Sure, we all know she's growing it out. But, she could've done something different with it, other than the usual bangs swept across the forehead. She could've combed/brushed it back. She could've side-parted it, and left the forehead clear with perhaps a bit of height on top, etc. Again, she should've checked out CT, who absolutely PROVED that short hair CAN look spectacular if it's worked with properly.

    Just sayin'.

    JMHO.
    Lol, you're so right.

    Yes, dear GOD, that hideous backwards dress of Celine's was UG-LY!
    ness likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

  7. #327
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,370

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Lol, you're so right.

    Yes, dear GOD, that hideous backwards dress of Celine's was UG-LY!
    LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

    I was actually watching the Oscars, that year (WHATEVER YEAR THAT WAS!). My mouth dropped open. And what was even MORE surreal was that CELINE THOUGHT SHE WAS STYLIN' AND PROFILIN'! I mean, you literally could not TELL her she wasn't the hottest thing movin' down the red carpet!

    Bless her heart . . .

    She was SO pitiful!

    EVERYBODY was on the same planet and page about what she had on, BUT her!!!!!!

    For me, Celine in that backwards Dior tuxedo pretty much runs at LEAST a close second to Bjork's swan dress!

    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

  8. #328
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,145

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

    I was actually watching the Oscars, that year (WHATEVER YEAR THAT WAS!). My mouth dropped open. And what was even MORE surreal was that CELINE THOUGHT SHE WAS STYLIN' AND PROFILIN'! I mean, you literally could not TELL her she wasn't the hottest thing movin' down the red carpet!

    Bless her heart . . .

    She was SO pitiful!

    EVERYBODY was on the same planet and page about what she had on, BUT her!!!!!!

    For me, Celine in that backwards Dior tuxedo pretty much runs at LEAST a close second to Bjork's swan dress!

    I'm probably the only one who didn't think it was that bad... after people like Cher and Bjork....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  9. #329
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,843

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    I didn't care for Hathaway's pink, nipple gown either. I have read that it was by Prada.
    ness likes this.

  10. #330
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,370

    Re: Academy Awards 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I didn't care for Hathaway's pink, nipple gown either. I have read that it was by Prada.
    Thanks for the coat-pull, Debb!

    Apparently I had Dior on the brain when I was thinking about Anne's dress. My bad. It, apparently, WAS Prada.

    But, I still didn't care for it.

    And no, didn't care for Celine's (and Dior actually DID design that!), either.

    Both are still designer duds that probably cost the earth, sucked, and seriously underwhelmed me!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.