+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

Re: Academy Awards 2013

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I tried to see if anyone mentioned this and I didn't. Pardon if its a repeat comment.

Last night as I was watching bits of the show, I kept thinking who does Seth McFarlane look like? Today on the radio one host mentioned who he looks like and I said "yes" .... Christopher Knight aka Peter Brady.
    Doesn't he though!? I kept telling hubby last night The Brady guy!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

He was fantastic in that... and its a great film.
    I'll second that. His performance in A Face in the Crowd is a revelation to anyone who knows him only from comedies--as with most good comedic actors, he has range that goes unsuspected. What's especially interesting to me is that he plays the polar opposite of the kindly, funny bumpkin--instead he's someone who uses that image against the very people who want to believe in it.

The film also has a number of other fine performances in it from people like Walter Matthau and Patricia O'Neal.
    Critical likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Okay, now you guys have me sold on A Face In The Crowd. I'm going to have to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'll second that. His performance in A Face in the Crowd is a revelation to anyone who knows him only from comedies--as with most good comedic actors, he has range that goes unsuspected. What's especially interesting to me is that he plays the polar opposite of the kindly, funny bumpkin--instead he's someone who uses that image against the very people who want to believe in it.

The film also has a number of other fine performances in it from people like Walter Matthau and Patricia O'Neal.
    Like I said upthread, anyone who only saw him in A Face in the Crowd could never have predicted that his career would go in the direction it did. Based on only that role, you would have thought he would become known as a great dramatic actor. That movie is so before its time in its commentary about the media and fame and he was terrific in it.

I loved Waitress too. Such a lovely little movie, although it always makes me a bit sad because of Adrienne Shelly's murder before her movie was released

Poor Anne Hathaway. Jennifer Lawrence is getting SO much more attention and love from the fans, the media and the fashion mavens. All the media seems to be talking about with Anne is her, um, headlights. Probably not what she was hoping for.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think Anne was having ball, at the after parties she was having a great time , hugging it out with Jennifer and the others .I am so happy she has an Oscar WTG Anne!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was referring to the attention each actress got after the fact in the press and social media. It's a love fest for Jennifer and the majority of articles about Anne are really about her dress.

I used to be a fan of AH. I'm not NOT a fan now, but I grew tired of her overly rehearsed "Who me?" fake-feeling gratitude throughout this LONG awards season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I was referring to the attention each actress got after the fact in the press and social media. It's a love fest for Jennifer and the majority of articles about Anne are really about her dress.

I used to be a fan of AH. I'm not NOT a fan now, but I grew tired of her overly rehearsed "Who me?" fake-feeling gratitude throughout this LONG awards season.
    Perhaps she learned from & was perfecting her inner Taylor Swift?

I put this over in the Silver Linings Thread, but perhaps everyone is over here instead & missed it. Check this out!

Jennifer Lawrence Oscar Interview Interrupted by Jack Nicholson; Anne Hathaway Discusses Win - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I can only feel so much pity for Anne though. I mean this is probably the biggest night of your life and THAT is the dress you chose to wear? That thing was terrible and every time they interviewed her, all I could think was "you can see her nipples"!!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I tried to see if anyone mentioned this and I didn't. Pardon if its a repeat comment.

Last night as I was watching bits of the show, I kept thinking who does Seth McFarlane look like? Today on the radio one host mentioned who he looks like and I said "yes" .... Christopher Knight aka Peter Brady.
    OMG, yes! You're so correct. I kept looking at him, trying to figure out who he looked like. The resemblance is uncanny.
    NCLurker and libgirl2 like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread