+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

Re: Academy Awards 2013

I just don't pay attention to anything The Onion does. They want people to get upset, so I ignore them so they don't get their wish!
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I know, but...I'm familiar with The Onion and I'm a fan of inappropriate humour, but I'm also the mom of a nine-year-old and no how, no way is that name ever even remotely funny...especially used in reference to a little girl. That made me see red.
    I agree! that's just very very wrong
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The Onion has had its funny moments, but like anything (or anyone) it gets to be full of itself and think it can do anything it wants.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Perhaps Kristen looked so bad because she was up late the night before celebrating her "best" actress RAZZIE. Twilight Breaking Dawn was the film pick of the year, also.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    So, even luckier girl!

... As if I didn't love Jennifer enough already. ...
    There is also a photo of her out there flipping the bird to reporters (?) in the press room.

In other news ... Andy Griffith was also in "No Time for Sergeants" a 1958 comedy... but playing a country bumpkin. I just went and read about "A Face in the Crowd" (1957)and it sounds magnificent. It is highly likely that whomever puts the memorial things together wasn't born yet!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Hugh Jackson and Bradley Cooper both got up to help Jennifer Lawrence. I state here and now and for the record that I adore Hugh Jackson.
    JackMAN . . . as in ALL MAN.

(Sorry, I love him too much to have his name showing up incorrectly. LOL.)

In his opening remarks introducing the Memorium Section, George Clooney did finish by noting that there were those who were not included in the collage. But, without names, it does seem rather dusted over.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

When I was talking about being instrumental to the academy talking about the in memoriam, I meant there are people who make movies, but never have much connection to the Oscars. They are the people who make movies that are more consumer driven than art driven. In a year that Arnold Schwartzenegger doesn't go to the Oscars, people aren't surprised because he doesn't make the kind of movies that are for the Oscars. Jamie Lee Curtis may for into that category too. While Alex Karras, Andy Griffith and Richard Dawson were in movies, and had very good performances (Andy Griffith in Waitress will always be a favorite of mine) I don't think any of them were people tightly bound to the Oscars where people would really feel their absence that night. That's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    When I was talking about being instrumental to the academy talking about the in memoriam, I meant there are people who make movies, but never have much connection to the Oscars. They are the people who make movies that are more consumer driven than art driven. In a year that Arnold Schwartzenegger doesn't go to the Oscars, people aren't surprised because he doesn't make the kind of movies that are for the Oscars. Jamie Lee Curtis may for into that category too. While Alex Karras, Andy Griffith and Richard Dawson were in movies, and had very good performances (Andy Griffith in Waitress will always be a favorite of mine) I don't think any of them were people tightly bound to the Oscars where people would really feel their absence that night. That's what I meant.
    He was fantastic in that... and its a great film.

I tried to see if anyone mentioned this and I didn't. Pardon if its a repeat comment.

Last night as I was watching bits of the show, I kept thinking who does Seth McFarlane look like? Today on the radio one host mentioned who he looks like and I said "yes" .... Christopher Knight aka Peter Brady.
    bee stung lips likes this.

+ Reply to Thread